FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TAP Air Portugal | Miles&Go (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/tap-air-portugal-miles-go-767/)
-   -   24 hour cancellation policy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/tap-air-portugal-miles-go/2007561-24-hour-cancellation-policy.html)

llbean Feb 4, 2020 1:20 pm

24 hour cancellation policy

Hi

First time booking and flying TAP. i just booked a J class ticket from YYZ-PRG. The fare was in Euros. I am in TOronto.

I booked it with the understanding that the fare is refundable within 24 hours as per this website
https://www.flytap.com/en-ca/booking...-cancellations

This is my terms and conditions of ticket...Refund
Before departure - Charge CAD250.00 or equivalent for cancel/no-show/refund. Charge applies per ticket holder.
Cancellations rules apply per fare component.
When combining fares charge the sum of the cancellation penalties of all cancelled fare components.
When combining a refundable ticket with a non-refundable ticket, provisions will apply as follows:- The amount paid on the refundable fare component will be refunded less the penalty amount if applicable.
- The amount paid on the non-refundable fare component will not be refunded.
In case of ticket upgrade the original non-refundable amount remains non-refundable.
YQ shall be used to cover possible residual amounts resulting from cancellation penalties higher than fare amount.
Any difference between cancellation penalty and the originally paid shall be deducted from YQ amount only residual YQ amount can then be refunded.
After departure - ticket is non-refundable. In case of ticket upgrade the original non-refundable amount remains non-refundable.
Cancellations rules apply per fare component.
When combining fares charge the sum of the cancellation penalties of all cancelled fare components.
When combining a refundable ticket with a non-refundable ticket, provisions will apply as follows:
- The amount paid on the refundable fare component will be refunded less the penalty amount if applicable.
- The amount paid on the non-refundable fare component will not be refunded.
YQ and YR surcharges will not be refunded.
Request for refund within 24 hours is subject to a CAD50.00 fee and the refund will be given in the form of a voucher where the fee will be deducted. The voucher is non-refundable and must be used for the purchase of TAP tickets within one year after its issuance.
For tickets issued in Israel, a fee of USD30.00 or 5% of the value of the total price ot the ticket (whichever is lower) will be applied if a ticket was issued within 14 days and at least 7 working days prior to the beginning of the travel.

For tickets issued in USA, Canada and Brazil no fee will be applied if ticket was issued at least 7 days before the flight departure.

When I called in to cancel - they told me that this was incorrect and since the system charged me in Euros I would be charged Euros 30 and that the refund would be only in a voucher. I tried to argue that my travel is months away and not withing 7 days when this policy would apply but with no luck. The agent told me that the information sent to me was incorrect - and that those were the rules. She said I would have to email in - but this would then mean the 24hour grace period would expire.

I can cancel on TAP website but it doesnt tell me what the fee etc will be

Can anyone help or clarify? I could not believe this is happening and how unhelpful the call in center was. I could not find a Toronto office to call for help.

llbean Feb 4, 2020 8:13 pm

Can someone help?

GVA Feb 5, 2020 2:44 am

What TAP website did you book on ? The Canadian one ? If so, you're allowed within 24 hours. If you booked on a European website then it does seem that within 24 hours they refund in vouchers.

If they still refuse then try to escalate to a manager and tell them you will file a complaint with the CTA.

Link: https://rppa-appr.ca/file-air-travel-complaint

llbean Feb 5, 2020 7:56 am

The manager refused to talk to me

The call agent suggested that I accept the voucher and fight later.

This is really crazy.

TDC Feb 18, 2020 4:33 pm

I'm facing a nearly identical problem right now. In my case, I'm a US citizen, the flight is operated in April to the US (LIS-EWR), and paid with a US card. I canceled within 24 hours. The separate TAP refund website wasn't working properly, so I couldn't request the refund within 24 hours. Eventually I got it to work two days later, which I thought would be moot because I cancelled in the 24 hour window. And after calling in, they've said there's nothing they can refund me because I booked it on the "Portuguese website" and so only the fare rules apply. I've filed a complaint with USDOT and just received a short unapologetic response from TAP's US customer service.

I'll reply, copying the USDOT representative, but I'm not optimistic

BeyEsq Feb 28, 2020 8:21 am

Originally Posted by TDC (Post 32087573)
I'm facing a nearly identical problem right now. In my case, I'm a US citizen, the flight is operated in April to the US (LIS-EWR), and paid with a US card. I canceled within 24 hours. The separate TAP refund website wasn't working properly, so I couldn't request the refund within 24 hours. Eventually I got it to work two days later, which I thought would be moot because I cancelled in the 24 hour window. And after calling in, they've said there's nothing they can refund me because I booked it on the "Portuguese website" and so only the fare rules apply. I've filed a complaint with USDOT and just received a short unapologetic response from TAP's US customer service.

I'll reply, copying the USDOT representative, but I'm not optimistic

What was the outcome? I booked a flight yesterday and then it went down today, so I wanted to cancel and re-book for the savings. But, I'm hoping it's not a painstaking process given US DOT regulations...

onewaylove Mar 4, 2021 6:40 am

Originally Posted by BeyEsq (Post 32122679)
What was the outcome? I booked a flight yesterday and then it went down today, so I wanted to cancel and re-book for the savings. But, I'm hoping it's not a painstaking process given US DOT regulations...

did you end up getting the refund back?
I booked a TAP and cancelled within like 20 mins, after realizing the wrong dates... hope i get my money back..

Often1 Mar 4, 2021 7:06 am

It is really important to read the DOT rule before contacting any carrier, including TP, or complaining to DOT. Those who do not, are risking their access to an important tool.

The mandatory 24-hour cancellation applies to all US and foreign carriers serving the US and in the case of foreign carriers, for tickets marketed through a website marketed to US consumers. It does not apply if one books through a third-party, e.g. a travel agent or on a website not marketed to US customers. In addition, the burden to cancel in a timely manner is on the consumer. Make certain that you follow any call with an email or similar web form and that you retain a time-stamped copy unless you have a written confirmation from the carrier that is has cancelled and initiated a refund. If you are offered a voucher, make it clear that you want a refund and confirm that in your email (webform). Remember that other timing requirements apply.

In the event that you have complied with the Rule, both a chargeback and a DOT Complaint are in order. Easiest to do them at the same time with the same backup paper. Make certain that you supply the backup paperwork (from above) with your chargeback and DOT Complaint. This would include your e-ticket receipt showing the date & time, as well as your request for cancellation. If your chargeback "packet" is complete, it is harder for the merchant acquirer to put together a negative response and furthermore, when confronted with clear evidence, they may well not bother to respond at all.

On the good side, all of the US carriers have more generous policies than required by law.

onewaylove Mar 4, 2021 7:09 am

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 33076563)
It is really important to read the DOT rule before contacting any carrier, including TP, or complaining to DOT. Those who do not, are risking their access to an important tool.

The mandatory 24-hour cancellation applies to all US and foreign carriers serving the US and in the case of foreign carriers, for tickets marketed through a website marketed to US consumers. It does not apply if one books through a third-party, e.g. a travel agent or on a website not marketed to US customers. In addition, the burden to cancel in a timely manner is on the consumer. Make certain that you follow any call with an email or similar web form and that you retain a time-stamped copy unless you have a written confirmation from the carrier that is has cancelled and initiated a refund. If you are offered a voucher, make it clear that you want a refund and confirm that in your email (webform). Remember that other timing requirements apply.

In the event that you have complied with the Rule, both a chargeback and a DOT Complaint. Make certain that you supply the backup paperwork (from above) with your chargeback and DOT Complaint. This would include your e-ticket receipt showing the date & time, as well as your request for cancellation. If your chargeback "packet" is complete, it is harder for the merchant acquirer to put together a negative response and furthermore, when confronted with clear evidence, they may well not bother to respond at all.

On the good side, all of the US carriers have more generous policies than required by law.

I'm a Canadian and we do have a similar rule like the US. 24 hr cancellation thing.
I booked direct on TAP's website, selected Canada as country and also paid in $CAD.
I'm just trying to find out if I need to even bother contacting TAP, or just straight go into DOT(CTA for Canada) and chargeback.

Often1 Mar 4, 2021 7:32 am

Originally Posted by onewaylove (Post 33076571)
I'm a Canadian and we do have a similar rule like the US. 24 hr cancellation thing.
I booked direct on TAP's website, selected Canada as country and also paid in $CAD.
I'm just trying to find out if I need to even bother contacting TAP, or just straight go into DOT(CTA for Canada) and chargeback.

How are you able to complain to your card issuer and CTA that you were unlawfully denied a refund if you have not made the request and been either denied or ignored?

While it may seem pointless, if you fail to go through the steps, e.g. cancelling and seeking a refund, you leave yourself open to losing.

onewaylove Mar 4, 2021 7:50 am

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 33076610)
How are you able to complain to your card issuer and CTA that you were unlawfully denied a refund if you have not made the request and been either denied or ignored?

While it may seem pointless, if you fail to go through the steps, e.g. cancelling and seeking a refund, you leave yourself open to losing.

I agree with you. just in a ambiguous situation. I booked a price error flight lol. so if someone has an answer, I would not call and draw their attention lol

Often1 Mar 4, 2021 8:09 am

Originally Posted by onewaylove (Post 33076641)
I agree with you. just in a ambiguous situation. I booked a price error flight lol. so if someone has an answer, I would not call and draw their attention lol

Either you want a refund or you do not. I am not sure I understand why one would care about drawing attention to what might be an error fare if one wants to cancel it for a refund.

onewaylove Mar 4, 2021 8:24 am

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 33076671)
Either you want a refund or you do not. I am not sure I understand why one would care about drawing attention to what might be an error fare if one wants to cancel it for a refund.

i explained poorly.
i booked a error fare then cancelled it and booked again on a different date. - don't want to draw attention to the active one.

Often1 Mar 4, 2021 8:41 am

Originally Posted by onewaylove (Post 33076701)
i explained poorly.
i booked a error fare then cancelled it and booked again on a different date. - don't want to draw attention to the active one.

Whatever, it's your choice. But, you can hardly complain to your card issuer or a government regulator that you did not receive a refund when you did not make a request for it.

onewaylove Mar 4, 2021 8:45 am

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 33076740)
Whatever, it's your choice. But, you can hardly complain to your card issuer or a government regulator that you did not receive a refund when you did not make a request for it.

ya im on a phone call now. thanks mate