Advice on separate tickets

Old Oct 1, 19, 8:20 am
Original Poster

Advice on separate tickets

As part of an award ticket through ANA, we have a TAP biz flight from PRG-LIS. We are scheduled to arrive at LIS at 9:45 PM and we wanted to continue onto Porto that same night but we would have to buy a separate ticket because of ANA's award ticket rules. The flight LIS-OPO is scheduled to depart at 11:20PM. Looking at TAP's baggage rules, we will have to check bags from PRG-LIS and LIS-OPO.

From my searches here, it seems like TAP would not interline our bags on separate tickets and we would also not have protection in the case of delays on the PRG-LIS flight. Is that correct? If so, what would you recommend we do? We have to come back to LIS for last leg on the award ticket and also wanted to visit Porto so it made sense to try to continue onto to Porto that same day and work our way back so we are back in Lisbon the day of our departure.
Old Oct 7, 19, 6:46 am

Programs: TK Elite, HH G
From my experience (TAP in LIS a few years ago) TAP was very reluctant to tag bags to final destination when second ticket was another carrier (in my case SAS). I have no experience with TAP to TAP tickets; presumably it is easier to achieve. Anyway, most likely it will depend on the check-in agent you approach at PRG - he/she may bother to do it or it may be refused. Anyway, I should have sufficient time to pick up the bags at LIS and do check-in for the domestic leg to OPO.

Anyway, LIS-OPO tickets are fairly cheap right, so not a disaster if incoming flight is delayed and you miss your OPO flight and the tickets are lost. As both flights are with TAP there is fair chance that TAP will rebook you for free for the following day - again this depends on the person you talk to. So I would book it but at the same time in my mind accept that if for some reason I miss the domestic flight, I will have buy new tickets or find an alternative way to get to OPO; I would get a rental car at LIS and drive to OPO - finding a reasonable hotel/motel on the way/once left the airport by car.
Old Oct 7, 19, 3:46 pm

Programs: A3*G, EY Silver
[QUOTE=tys90;31582432] Looking at TAP's baggage rules, we will have to check bags from PRG-LIS and LIS-OPO.[/quotet

What makes you think you will have to check bags? Will they be carry-on sized?

From my searches here, it seems like TAP would not interline our bags on separate tickets and we would also not have protection in the case of delays on the PRG-LIS flight. Is that correct?
Correct. TAP ground handlers will only tag bags the way the system spits the tag out - in other words -- PRG-LIS.

If so, what would you recommend we do? We have to come back to LIS for last leg on the award ticket and also wanted to visit Porto so it made sense to try to continue onto to Porto that same day and work our way back so we are back in Lisbon the day of our departure.
1. Risk it, though even if everything is on-time, you're unlikely to make the check-in deadline with checked bags.
2. Stay overnight and take the train in the morning. (no reason to fly this, the train is only 2h30-2h45) and 20-30€.
Old Oct 8, 19, 11:32 am
Original Poster

[QUOTE=Palal;31603249]
Originally Posted by tys90 View Post
Looking at TAP's baggage rules, we will have to check bags from PRG-LIS and LIS-OPO.[/quotet

What makes you think you will have to check bags? Will they be carry-on sized?

Correct. TAP ground handlers will only tag bags the way the system spits the tag out - in other words -- PRG-LIS.

1. Risk it, though even if everything is on-time, you're unlikely to make the check-in deadline with checked bags.
2. Stay overnight and take the train in the morning. (no reason to fly this, the train is only 2h30-2h45) and 20-30€.
TAP's cabin baggage weight limit is 8 kg and our luggage will be more than that even though are bags are carry-on sized.

I know reps can get things wrong but when I called and asked about my situation, they were very confident that as long as I let them know my second booking reference and that I'm continuing on to OPO when I check in at PRG, they will transfer my bags on.

They were also very confident that since they are both TAP flights, I am protected in case of delays.

I would rather not have to get a taxi or transportation to a hotel, check in to a hotel, unpack what I need for the night, repack, travel to a train station and take a train the next day.
Old Yesterday, 9:21 am

Programs: A3*G, EY Silver
Unless you check in at the counter, nobody will weigh your carry-on bags.
Old Yesterday, 9:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by tys90 View Post
As part of an award ticket through ANA, we have a TAP biz flight from PRG-LIS. We are scheduled to arrive at LIS at 9:45 PM and we wanted to continue onto Porto that same night but we would have to buy a separate ticket because of ANA's award ticket rules. The flight LIS-OPO is scheduled to depart at 11:20PM. Looking at TAP's baggage rules, we will have to check bags from PRG-LIS and LIS-OPO.

From my searches here, it seems like TAP would not interline our bags on separate tickets and we would also not have protection in the case of delays on the PRG-LIS flight. Is that correct? If so, what would you recommend we do? We have to come back to LIS for last leg on the award ticket and also wanted to visit Porto so it made sense to try to continue onto to Porto that same day and work our way back so we are back in Lisbon the day of our departure.
How are you planning to work your way back to Lisbon? If you'll do this by rental car, it's likely to be cheaper if you pick up and return the car at LIS, although obviously you don't want to drive from LIS to Porto late at night after your flight.
Old Yesterday, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
How are you planning to work your way back to Lisbon? If you'll do this by rental car, it's likely to be cheaper if you pick up and return the car at LIS, although obviously you don't want to drive from LIS to Porto late at night after your flight.
We were planning to take the train back.

Search this Thread