Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > TAP Air Portugal | Miles&Go
Reload this Page >

Recovering Lost or Misplaced Baggage / Luggage on TAP (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Recovering Lost or Misplaced Baggage / Luggage on TAP (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2019, 4:14 am
Original Poster

Lost baggage- TAP Business class from Newark

Hi,
just arrived back to london city today business class on the A330 neo from Newark to Lisbon and then to London city. My checked in baggage is still in Lisbon. what a joke being a first time Tap business flyer it has been a poor experience.

anyone know who to complain to for compensation. very disappointed as a first time business class passenger

thank you

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 3, 2019 at 9:34 am Reason: Restore original post title
Old Sep 3, 2019, 4:37 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
At LCY you should have filled out the WorldTracer information at the luggage desk when your bags didn't arrive. You will have been given a tracer number with which you can keep your information updated. In 97% (or so) of cases, your luggage will be with you within a week or so. There is no point in calling or writing letters because you'll be fighting the highly-automated luggage delivery system. On return journeys there is typically no travel insurance cover for delayed luggage, and I doubt TAP will give you anything other than a gesture. If your luggage is truly lost (considered so after three weeks) you are eligible for a payout of ca SDR 1,131 (special drawing rights). Google will tell you the current exchange rate. Unfortunately business class luggage is no more immune from misplacement than economy, and the scanners didn't know it was your first time.
Often1, nancypants, zayn81 and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 5:43 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You can track your bag's progress on WorldTracer using the number you were provided at LCY.

In the meantime, TP is responsible for reimbursing (not compensating) your reasonable interim expenses such as for necessities which were packed. Simply keep the receipts. The maximum is approximately EUR 1,400. After 21 days, if your bag has not been delivered, it is considered lost and you are due reimbursement for the bag and its contents up to the EUR 1,400 less any interim expenses.

No reason to get hot and bothered. Your class of service is also irrelevant This happens rarely and it is more than likely that your bag will be on the next flight and delivered to you shortly thereafter. Calling and complaining will do nothing and you will not learn anything other than what WorldTracer shows (as that is what TP will be looking at when you call).
nancypants and zayn81 like this.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 12:01 pm

Programs: LH SEN, BA SILVER
Just hope they find your bag! I had a nice mountain bike permanently disappear on a paid business class MUC-LIS-SFO in July. TAP has since closed the file without finding the bike and with zero compensation. When I reported the loss in person on arrival in SFO, the lost bags desk claimed they had a message from TAP that my bike hadn't been loaded after my overnight in LIS, and would be sent on to my final destination (Idaho, separate ticket) once they received it in SFO.

Then a few days later I had a call where they said the bag had gone to SFO but must been stolen by someone there. As a fair amount of money is involved (about $6500), TAP is obviously not keen to accept responsibility. Zero phone or email support beyond just "case closed"!!!

Unfortunately I have no other insurance. I have another business class transatlantic with TAP coming up that was booked before this incident, which will be my last flight with them. Great pricing compared to LH, but zero support when things go bad.

Has anyone else on this forum had TAP permanently loose a bag?
Old Sep 5, 2019, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

nothing yet

now over 72 hours nobody has responded to me on email and nobody picking up the phone +44 203 203 2325 which is
linked to www.worldtracer.aero/filedsp/to.htm which has not been update in 72 hrs. Complained on twitter just the usual response we will send to relevant department. gave my PIR number which is I was given at LCY (London city) airport.

Just tired and angry at such a big loss. I think my chances of ever seeing all those gifts I brought from NY For the family are gone
Old Sep 12, 2019, 3:47 am
Original Poster

luggage recieved

finally recieved my luggage this week. lugagge and content was not damaged but looking at the tag it seems the luggage had arrived in Lisbon correctly from NY it just was not transferred to the LCY flight

It was not the best experience for a first time Tap flyer and the experience for cabin, lounge and overall I would not be recommending them to my staff.

Alternatives I have seen to cross the Atlantic from Dublin via United or Air Lingus which also offer cheaper business seats
Old Sep 12, 2019, 3:58 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by zayn81
finally recieved my luggage this week. lugagge and content was not damaged but looking at the tag it seems the luggage had arrived in Lisbon correctly from NY it just was not transferred to the LCY flight

It was not the best experience for a first time Tap flyer and the experience for cabin, lounge and overall I would not be recommending them to my staff.

Alternatives I have seen to cross the Atlantic from Dublin via United or Air Lingus which also offer cheaper business seats
In all likelihood this has nothing to do with TAP but airport staff. Thousands of travellers have luggage delayed or misplaced every day. Your bags were delayed for a week, which is long, but understand that this could happen on any airline flying from A to B. If you avoid every airline when your luggage is misplaced you'll soon run out of airlines.
Old Nov 24, 2021, 3:10 am

Programs: AC 75K
Unfortunately my luggage was “lost” during a connection last week from YOW-YUL-LIS. First segment on Air Canada, second segment on TAP. Bag made it to YUL but didn’t get loaded onto the TAP flight due to a very short connection caused by delay of the first flight.

It’s been 4 days now since I filed the world tracer report and there are no updates on the status. I’ve filled out the baggage contents form. Is there anything I can do to be proactive about moving this along? I feel like the bag is still in YUL as otherwise wouldn’t they be able to see the baggage tag was scanned in LIS? What are the chances my bag will actually make it back to me, even if I just get it sent to my home address in Canada since my trip is nearly over now.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 11:15 am

Programs: AC 75K
baggage received 7 days later

Originally Posted by WesternCDN
Unfortunately my luggage was “lost” during a connection last week from YOW-YUL-LIS. First segment on Air Canada, second segment on TAP. Bag made it to YUL but didn’t get loaded onto the TAP flight due to a very short connection caused by delay of the first flight.

It’s been 4 days now since I filed the world tracer report and there are no updates on the status. I’ve filled out the baggage contents form. Is there anything I can do to be proactive about moving this along? I feel like the bag is still in YUL as otherwise wouldn’t they be able to see the baggage tag was scanned in LIS? What are the chances my bag will actually make it back to me, even if I just get it sent to my home address in Canada since my trip is nearly over now.
Just as a follow up on this.. received an email on the 26th from someone with Swissport in Barcelona saying that they my bag had arrived at the airport and would be delivered to my hotel. I had previously updated my world tracer report with new hotel addresses as I moved around. Bag was delivered on the morning of the 27th.. one day prior to the end of my trip! Lol. Either way, glad to have my things back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.