Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > TAP Air Portugal | Miles&Go
Reload this Page >

Tickets cancelled after I complained about baggage fees

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2019, 6:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Tit, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Carlson Gold, UA*S,

We were due to fly on July 24th from Manchester (MAN) to Lisbon (LIS) but the flights for me and four members of my family were cancelled!

Worse, we only found out about the cancellation when we arrived at Manchester Airport to check-in!

The airline, TAP, would not explain what had happened and upon contacting customer services they say that we did not show up in time. This is completely untrue, of course.

When we arrived at the check-in desk, we were told our booking had been closed and seat assignments cancelled. I had even paid for extra baggage.

In the end, I had to buy an additional five tickets at significant cost.

What you need to know also is that I had mistakenly purchased extra baggage at a cost £43 when I bought the original tickets... I called within 24 hours to have the charges refunded but was told that I could only have the tickets refunded and not the actual baggage fees.

So I decided to file a dispute with AMEX but just for the baggage fees.

The dispute actually FAILED as TAP simply provided the evidence that I had willingly bought the extra bags.

So I left it at that... but it then appears TAP took it upon themselves to cancel the entire booking without so much as an email, phone call or a text.

Indeed, the night before, the airline was still advising me to check-in!

Just appalling treatment from this airline
Old Aug 28, 2019, 6:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
EC261?
Old Aug 28, 2019, 7:41 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If you were denied boarding without reasonable cause, you are due compensation for that under EC 261/2004. This is a much broader provision than the US provides.

However, whether you succeed will depend on why TP cancelled your tickets. It seems a bit odd to do so given that the chargeback was denied, but then again disputing legitimate charges is always risky.

I suspect that you will need to file a claim under the Regulation, have it denied and pursue it through small claims (which, if you use the UK system permits telephonic hearings).

For the benefit of others, Amex US generally permits chargebacks for up to a year, even though US law only requires 60 days. Never initiate a chargeback until after the travel is completed. Nothing good comes of it. In addition, if the fees were not refundable, what is the basis for the chargeback. An increasing number of merchant vendors react "poorly" to such chargeback attempts as they are expensive and disruptive.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 11:17 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
I made an EC 261 claim a month ago against TAP and nary a peep from them.
Guess I am going to have to make a claim to the commission.
My point is...don't hold your breath.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 11:31 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by HomerJ
I made an EC 261 claim a month ago against TAP and nary a peep from them.
Guess I am going to have to make a claim to the commission.
My point is...don't hold your breath.
What "commission"?

Just send a letter before action, wait the allotted period and then file a small claims action in the UK and ask for a telephonic hearing when the time is right.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 12:22 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Let me see if I understand this correctly...you are saying that TAP proactively cancelled your reservation because to tried to remove some unnecessary baggage charges? Out of spite?
Old Aug 29, 2019, 1:35 am

Programs: UA
So the extra baggage fee was added to the ticket fee and then the baggage fee was disputed.

Does the credit card take the payment back from the merchant during the dispute process? Could the lack of full payment caused the ticket to be canceled?

Old Aug 29, 2019, 6:09 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
I don't think Amex does a partial dispute. They probably reversed the entire payment pending investigation which caused TP to cancel the ticket.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 7:25 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by oliver2002
I don't think Amex does a partial dispute. They probably reversed the entire payment pending investigation which caused TP to cancel the ticket.
Interesting thought. OP should contact Amex to get their side of the story.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 6:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Tit, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Carlson Gold, UA*S,
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Interesting thought. OP should contact Amex to get their side of the story.
I think that might be an extremely good idea....

As you can see from piece of documentation FROM TAP... they actually did not say to Amex they were going to cancel the tickets but ask them if I wished to.

None of that was conveyed to me... so I cannot work out at what point (or why) the tickets were cancelled in their entirety.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 9:26 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Johnny Rocket
I think that might be an extremely good idea....

As you can see from piece of documentation FROM TAP... they actually did not say to Amex they were going to cancel the tickets but ask them if I wished to.

None of that was conveyed to me... so I cannot work out at what point (or why) the tickets were cancelled in their entirety.
In which case, I think oliver2002 may be right. I'd be interested to hear what Amex says!
Old Aug 30, 2019, 10:04 am
Suspended

The problem is that Amex does do partial disputes for US card holders. It is an express choice on the webform.

But, in countries where that is not an option, it all becomes confusing.

For the benefit of others, while US law only requires that card issuers provide chargebacks for 60 days, Amex and many other major card issuers will process a chargeback for up to a year. It is generally a poor idea to touch the payment terms until after the ticket has been completed. Nothing good comes of it and this may just be one of those examples.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.