Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > TAP Air Portugal | Miles&Go
Reload this Page >

Seat Assignment Got Changed by TAP with NO valid reason

Seat Assignment Got Changed by TAP with NO valid reason

Old Aug 3, 2019, 9:04 pm
Original Poster

Angry Seat Assignment Got Changed by TAP with NO valid reason

HI fellow FTers,

Hope I can get some sound advice from you on what to do.

I am booked on a the TP213 OPO-EWR flight in September . This would be a flight operated by the new A321 Neo aircraft and I had picked seat 4B (one of the four famous single/"throne" seats) as soon as the seat map was uploaded. Unfortunately, when I looked up my reservation last week, my seat 4B was changed to 5C. So now I have 5C which is a standard aisle seat with a window seat next to me. Unfortunately the other 3 throne seats have been occupied. I am disappointed that no one at Tap has informed me about this involuntary seat re-assigment.When I called theTAP reservation desk inquiring what happened, they advised me that 4B is blocked with no occupant. If this is a technical issue I cannot accept since there is plenty of time to repair before my flight in early Sep. I hope it is not the case where I was bumped off for a flyer with higher status wanting this seat. I wrote to customer service a couple of times and have not heard back.

Any advice? Thanks!!!
Old Aug 3, 2019, 11:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K/AS 100K …Bonvoy Titanium..Hertz Presidents Club
LOL. The same thing happened to me on their SFO-LIS flight a few weeks back. They changed my assigned seat without any notice. Sounds like your out of luck. I learned a lot about TAP after that flight.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 7:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by minhaoxue
LOL. The same thing happened to me on their SFO-LIS flight a few weeks back. They changed my assigned seat without any notice. Sounds like your out of luck. I learned a lot about TAP after that flight.
Ugh I am finding out more and more about their substandard service lol. Thx for your reply!
Old Aug 5, 2019, 9:41 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
You are never guaranteed a specific seat on any airline, unfortunately. Though you may book a specific seat there are many reasons you might be moved. This is not specific to TO, and most airlines’ conditions of carriage are clear about passengers not having the “right” to specific seats.

On flights to or from the USA, it’s also possible you lost your preferred seat to a Federal Air Marshal; a “throne” seat would be preferable to a FAM because of the easy aisle access. If so, the airline is forbidden to disclose that reason; they would provide you with rubbish answers.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Great answers. Thanks! Though you'd think they would stick the air marshal in coach no?
Old Aug 5, 2019, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Great answers. Thanks! Though you'd think they would stick the air marshal in coach no?
Old Aug 5, 2019, 3:12 pm

Programs: Bunch of mid-tiers
Keep checking back - there's always a chance something will change or open up (you're likely not the only one getting randomized).

It may be a coincidence, but I had a seat in row 4 (on a 332) that I would select, get confirmed, and then overnight it would un-assign the seat. I tried this several times before picking a different one. Weird.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 8:48 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by JDiver
You are never guaranteed a specific seat on any airline, unfortunately. Though you may book a specific seat there are many reasons you might be moved. This is not specific to TO, and most airlines’ conditions of carriage are clear about passengers not having the “right” to specific seats.

On flights to or from the USA, it’s also possible you lost your preferred seat to a Federal Air Marshal; a “throne” seat would be preferable to a FAM because of the easy aisle access. If so, the airline is forbidden to disclose that reason; they would provide you with rubbish answers.
I though US Federal Air Marshals only operated on US flag operators. When the whole Air Marshal thing was started, Air Canada and the Canadian authorities needed to create a similar role in the RCMP to handle the Air Canada flights into Reagan National Airport. I believe it only applied to that one airport. Does Portugal even have the concept of an Air Marshal?
Dover2Golf and JDiver like this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 11:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K/AS 100K …Bonvoy Titanium..Hertz Presidents Club
US Air Marshals only fly on US carriers. Now, if Portugal has Air Marshals, which I don't think they do, they could possibly be sitting in those seats. TAP is famous for "moving" people around. This is why I will never fly with them again.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 9:55 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Fiordland
I though US Federal Air Marshals only operated on US flag operators. When the whole Air Marshal thing was started, Air Canada and the Canadian authorities needed to create a similar role in the RCMP to handle the Air Canada flights into Reagan National Airport. I believe it only applied to that one airport. Does Portugal even have the concept of an Air Marshal?

Originally Posted by minhaoxue
US Air Marshals only fly on US carriers. Now, if Portugal has Air Marshals, which I don't think they do, they could possibly be sitting in those seats. TAP is famous for "moving" people around. This is why I will never fly with them again.
Thanks for clarifying.

Unfortunately, too many airlines will move paying passengers for friends, “VIPs”, traveling employees, you name it. But honestly, in 70 years of flying, I’ve never found an airline you can rely on to 100% respect and honor your seat choice 100% of the time. Some are better, some worse.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 6:57 am
Original Poster

Smile

Thanks for clarifying.

Unfortunately, too many airlines will move paying passengers for friends, “VIPs”, traveling employees, you name it. But honestly, in 70 years of flying, I’ve never found an airline you can rely on to 100% respect and honor your seat choice 100% of the time. Some are better, some worse.
All good advice. Thx!!! Yes I will keep checking and thinking twice about flying Tap again
Old Jan 7, 2020, 8:59 am

Programs: UA Gold, AS, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold
I had something similar happen to me. I booked SFO-LIS economy with them for me, my wife, and my kid. At booking time (June), I paid for seat selections for all three of us to be sure we could sit together. A week before my flight (in November), I found out they had dropped my wife's seat assignment. I called customer service and pleaded my case with the rep. She said there was nothing she could do unless I paid for the seat selection AGAIN. She directed me to their website to submit customer service complaints.
Following our flight, I have submitted numerous emails on this with complete documentation: clear receipts from them showing the original seat assignment charge and the second seat assignment charge. The first 3 times they responded by explaining dynamic pricing to me. Not at all relevant to my situation. Finally I used google translate to send my complaint in both English and Portuguese. That helped the rep understand my complaint, but they still insist that the duplicate charge never happened, in spite of my providing their two receipts that clearly showed that there was a duplicate charge.
Is there a language barrier here? A cultural barrier? Or is the airline in such a dire financial situation that they will blatantly cheat their customers? I feel like as poor service as I've received at times on UA, DL, or AA, refunding a duplicate charge would be a no-brainer for them.
I agree with OP, I'll not fly with them again.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 3:14 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by mafan812
I had something similar happen to me. I booked SFO-LIS economy with them for me, my wife, and my kid. At booking time (June), I paid for seat selections for all three of us to be sure we could sit together. A week before my flight (in November), I found out they had dropped my wife's seat assignment. I called customer service and pleaded my case with the rep. She said there was nothing she could do unless I paid for the seat selection AGAIN. She directed me to their website to submit customer service complaints.
Following our flight, I have submitted numerous emails on this with complete documentation: clear receipts from them showing the original seat assignment charge and the second seat assignment charge. The first 3 times they responded by explaining dynamic pricing to me. Not at all relevant to my situation. Finally I used google translate to send my complaint in both English and Portuguese. That helped the rep understand my complaint, but they still insist that the duplicate charge never happened, in spite of my providing their two receipts that clearly showed that there was a duplicate charge.
Is there a language barrier here? A cultural barrier? Or is the airline in such a dire financial situation that they will blatantly cheat their customers? I feel like as poor service as I've received at times on UA, DL, or AA, refunding a duplicate charge would be a no-brainer for them.
I agree with OP, I'll not fly with them again.
It's a super dysfunctional airline. Dispute both charges with your CC, saying you never got your seat assignment in the end.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 3:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Palal
It's a super dysfunctional airline. Dispute both charges with your CC, saying you never got your seat assignment in the end.
HUH? Didn't the family fly in the second set of selected seats?
Often1 likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 7:23 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
HUH? Didn't the family fly in the second set of selected seats?
Let TAP prove that.
mafan812 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.