Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > TAP Air Portugal | Miles&Go
Reload this Page >

TAP cancelling flight without sending an e-mail

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2019, 4:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, Lufthansa FTL, KrisFlyer Gold, HHonors Diamond

I'm flying with TAP DUB-LIS-SFO in October/November - got one of their special offer Business Class fares and decided to give them a go.

I logged into Manage My Booking this morning (by chance) to check my seat reservations again and the booking is showing that my original flight back from LIS-DUB has been cancelled. The new "alternative flight" to DUB shown in the booking overview departs from LIS 3 hours before I arrive from SFO....????? The booking even shows that I have "minus 4 hours" to change flights. Isn't this all a bit odd? I haven't received any e-mail notification of the cancellation - I still wouldn't know about it if I hadn't checked the booking.

I've e-mailed TAP and haven't received a reply yet. Was just wondering if this is standard practice for the airline and what I can expect them to do? I know there is only one LIS-DUB flight a day, so presumably I'll need to fly back a day later? Can I expect hotel accommodation in Lisbon to be provided?
Old Jul 12, 2019, 4:40 am

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVP; Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Call them and get it sorted out now. Similar happened to me last year when TAP cancelled service to an airport I was a ticketed to departing from. No communication at all. Then they charged me a cancellation fee against the value of my ticket when I emailed them about not being notified and wanting a full refund.

With TAP always check your tickets often.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 4:42 am
Original Poster

Thanks a lot - I'll call them asap. What a mess!
Old Jul 12, 2019, 5:44 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Email is a terrible way to communicate about anything requiring near-term action.

Before calling, you should do the research on alternatives and then feed those to the phone agent in order of preference.
mmff likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 6:11 am
Original Poster

I didn't really consider this to be "near-term" action, given that the flight isn't until November. But you're right that phoning will probably be quicker.
There is only one TAP flight a day to Dublin. Do you think it would be reasonable for me to suggest they re-route me on another Star Alliance carrier?
irishguy28 and mmff like this.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Did you book direct with TAP or via a travel agent? It's generally the one you booked with that sends you notificattions (e.g. it was expedia that notified me that the time of an AA flight that had changed not AA as I had booked using expedia)

I have also see the case where someone - as you did - checked MMB and found a change but the airline was yet to send the notification. This is more common where the cancellation is a good few months away and they will send emails out to customers with closer flights first to prevent the call centre being inundated..

Yes the retiming at the moment looks stupid but when a flight changes the IT systems will just book you on the closest other flight and then any other needed changes filter through the system in the next few hours and dates

As advised best to look to other routings to get you back to DUB and then contact TAP. Most other reasonable airlines would rebook you onto alliance partners but not all will.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 8:30 am
Original Poster

I booked directly with TAP.

Phoned them an hour ago and have been put on the LIS-DUB flight a day later. I am told that they have no "arrangements" to reroute passengers on other airlines within Europe. It's not the end of the world for me to fly a day later and they did say that I can submit an invoice for my overnight hotel stay in Lisbon after my trip.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by angelats

Phoned them an hour ago and have been put on the LIS-DUB flight a day later. I am told that they have no "arrangements" to reroute passengers on other airlines within Europe. It's not the end of the world for me to fly a day later and they did say that I can submit an invoice for my overnight hotel stay in Lisbon after my trip.
Given that you are apparently based in Munich, did you not consider asking for them to fly you to MUC instead of a hotel and a day's delay to DUB?
Old Jul 12, 2019, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

No - I am flying back to Munich a day later with LH and really want the flight segment and miles for that one
Old Aug 25, 2019, 12:39 am

Programs: FB Plat
I have the same itinerary for late November. I randomly checked my booking yesterday and noticed that the 17:30 flight from DUB has been canceled. Now it's just the morning flight. So much for a few more hours to check out the city. I'm also very surprised there was no communication about this.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 6:12 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Originally Posted by angelats

If it had been any other city, I would personally have insisted that they rebook me via Frankfurt. However, as it is Lisbon, I congratulate you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.