Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > TAP Air Portugal | Miles&Go
Reload this Page >

For stopover fares, Is TAP really a mess, or is there too much whining

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

For stopover fares, Is TAP really a mess, or is there too much whining

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2019, 3:52 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
I just checked, and of the last seven TP flights to San Francisco, only one arrived on time.

The link below gives OAG's analysis of the one time performance (OTP) of world airlines for the 12 months to May 2019.
TP's awarded one star out of five, and scrapes into the bottom ten airlines in the punctuality league table.

https://www.oag.com/on-time-performa...t-star-ratings
So you are saying that the other TAP flights that were late were all due to equipment breakdowns - like the broken arm on the push-back unit (that did not even belong to TAP). Hummm.... 🤔
Old Jul 9, 2019, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by tmac100
So you are saying that the other TAP flights that were late were all due to equipment breakdowns - like the broken arm on the push-back unit (that did not even belong to TAP). Hummm.... 🤔
Nope. I have no idea where you gathered that notion.

I'm saying TAP has an ingrained problem with punctuality.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 9:00 pm

Nope. I have no idea where you gathered that notion.

Well... they try to bring you a true Portuguese experience.
IAN-UK, Palal, tmac100 and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 11:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K/AS 100K …Bonvoy Titanium..Hertz Presidents Club
CLEARLY NOT the fault of TAP equipment, nor TAP anything. Not that time. <redacted> ... perhaps 😉
That arm breaking on the push-back could have happened even if it would have been AA operating an Ilushyn 🙄
huh??? No where in my statement did I say it was TP's fault. I was just pointing out the reason why there was an initial 4 hour delay turned into a 6 hour delay was because the arm breaking. <redacted>

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 29, 2020 at 8:21 pm Reason: Deleted reply to deleted post content
Old Jul 10, 2019, 4:14 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
TAP does not have a punctuality problem. TAP runs on time. on Portuguese time.

It's the rest of ya that want everything to be on-time to the second.

Seriously though - it IS a cultural issue with every single TP and groundforce worker - they don't get it and they won't until there's a culture shift that starts at the management level. I don't see that happening any time soon, unless more articles come out saying how late TP always is. (For some reason Portuguese people love to know what others think about them and their country).
tmac100 and JDiver like this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 4:42 am

Just my limited experience of 4 flights with them, once from Maputo to LIS on a 340 and then a few days later to Germany on a E190, second from Germany to LIS on an A320 and then on to YYZ on an 330 (not the neo).
Very mixed experience depending on the plane type and the crew.
A340 had ancient angled flat 2-2-2 seats in business class, relatively dense and not well kept.
A330 had staggered seats 1-2-1 and 1-2-2 alternating, very similar to LX, SN etc. Seat was ok, a bit on the narrow side (other airlines have wider seats for that kind of design).
E190 seats were nice, 2-2 (eco is 2-3) with good recline and comfortable
A320 was horrible. Seat did not recline, almost no padding with an empty middle seat. ryanair is more comfortable.
Crews were between indifferent and nice, never bad.
Food in general was unedible.
Lounge in LIS was ok, not stellar, a bit overcrowded in both cases.
3 flights more or less on time, 1 flight over 3 hours delayed and clearly caused by the airline (first crew timing, then a broken curtain and chaos in the needed reseating)
I used them because their price for the one ways was about half of what other airlines wanted, and the almost free stopover in LIS was a nice addition.

I would avoid the 340 and the 319/320 and use them again if their price is better.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Palal
TAP does not have a punctuality problem. TAP runs on time. on Portuguese time.

It's the rest of ya that want everything to be on-time to the second.

But I've definitely noticed a shift in attitude among Portuguese friends and colleagues towards their national carrier. Perhaps, in part, they are simply reflecting back my own changed mood, though not entirely.

Originally Posted by Palal
...Seriously though - it IS a cultural issue with every single TP and groundforce worker - they don't get it and they won't until there's a culture shift that starts at the management level....
there's a comment highlighted above from a TAP employee who felt a reasonable excuse for delay in customer service response was :

"we have so many complaints to deal with, we haven't been able to look at yours"

Sums up the TP management attitude rather well.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 7:17 am

In all of my flying, this is standard with ALL airlines I have flown on. Some just start arranging their counter 3 hrs before departure, and do not actually open until 2.5 hours before departure.
Really? Every major airline I have flown with have a continual presence, desks open for other flights you can check in to yours whenever. As imagine when you arrive at a connecting airport and your flight is cancelled, they don't throw your bags back at you, so it's not because they can't open early, it's because they don't want to. It's just TAP don't have a permanent check-in desk presence due to the lack of flights imho
Old Jul 11, 2019, 4:04 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by LondonBoundSW8
Really? Every major airline I have flown with have a continual presence, desks open for other flights you can check in to yours whenever....... It's just TAP don't have a permanent check-in desk presence due to the lack of flights imho
I beg to differ, and overseas it is "not just TAP". Your comment is NOT as I have experienced in airports like KUL, MEL, DOH, DXB (T1 AND T2), PEK, and even LVI, etcetera, etcetera...... on airlines like BA, UL, TK, QF etcetera ....

Yes not with BA at LHR, BUT certainly with AC at LHR.

Forget TAP- bashing. This happens worldwide in my experience. Frustrating when I have to wait 10+ hours (aka overnight) as happens in KUL and MEL for just 2 examples. The website "Sleeping in Airports" has similar stories .... 🙄
Old Jul 11, 2019, 8:05 pm

Programs: Bunch of mid-tiers
Bit of a tangent but thought I’d ask. I saw longish times through passport control upon arrival from the USA mentioned.

How bad are the waits when departing for the USA?
Old Jul 12, 2019, 1:44 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by LondonBoundSW8
Really? Every major airline I have flown with have a continual presence, desks open for other flights you can check in to yours whenever. As imagine when you arrive at a connecting airport and your flight is cancelled, they don't throw your bags back at you, so it's not because they can't open early, it's because they don't want to. It's just TAP don't have a permanent check-in desk presence due to the lack of flights imho
TP has only a single flight out of SFO, so they have their check-in desks open only for that flight. United has many flights out of SFO, so it has continual presence. That's how things work. LHR is a bit different - they have a combined *A facility, something that you don't have at SFO.

I've had success checking bags for a later TP flight when check-in was open for an earlier one at BCN, but this is not in any way guaranteed for any airline.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
I beg to differ, and overseas it is "not just TAP". Your comment is NOT as I have experienced in airports like KUL, MEL, DOH, DXB (T1 AND T2), PEK, and even LVI, etcetera, etcetera...... on airlines like BA, UL, TK, QF etcetera ....

Yes not with BA at LHR, BUT certainly with AC at LHR.

Forget TAP- bashing. This happens worldwide in my experience. Frustrating when I have to wait 10+ hours (aka overnight) as happens in KUL and MEL for just 2 examples. The website "Sleeping in Airports" has similar stories .... 🙄
I think the point is that at outport airports where airlines have limited service, check-in standard opening time is 3 hours prior to departure. At home airports, home-based carriers have check-in open throughout airport operating hours, though some may restrict which flights they accept very early check-in bags.
Old May 28, 2020, 5:13 pm

Programs: BA Silver / EI Silver
Has anyone experienced a price change when you try to book with the stopover? Even the website says "Book your flight with no additional airfare and also receive exclusive perks.".

Same flights, same dates, but one includes the stopover and on doesn't. Any solution?

Last edited by AHC96; May 29, 2020 at 10:12 am
Old May 29, 2020, 9:31 am

Exclamation

Originally Posted by AHC96
Has anyone experienced a price change when you try to book with the stopover? Even the website says "Book your flight with no additional airfare and also receive exclusive perks.".

Same flights, same dates, but one includes the stopover and on doesn't. Any solution?
its free only for long haul flight included...
Old May 29, 2020, 10:13 am

Programs: BA Silver / EI Silver
Originally Posted by raporot
its free only for long haul flight included...
Clearly didn’t read the small print! Thanks

Odd that the option comes up even on European flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.