Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > TAP Air Portugal | Miles&Go
Reload this Page >

TAP Carry-On / Cabin Baggage Rules and Enforcement (merged threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 21, 2019, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
TAP Hand / Cabin Baggage Rules

Link to TAP Hand Baggage Rules page. Note these may change and would supersede the extracted information presented here.

When travelling on flights operated by TAP and TAP express you can normally travel with hand baggage in the aircraft cabin, with a maximum size up to total linear 115 cm / 45.3 inches / (55X40x20cm) / 22x16x8 in regardless of other factors. (If overhead bins are deemed full, the larger piece of cabin baggage may be counter checked.)

“Your baggage must be within the permitted limits (number, size and weight) In order for it to be free of charge. These limits depend on your flight destination” and by your cabin class of service, Executive or Economy. Generally, the dimensions can not be exceeded overall added dimensions or by individual dimension. (Bags exceeding dimensions, such as determined by inability to fit in a baggage sizer, may be counter checked; a fee may be collected.)

NOTE: There are two factors used in determining hand baggage allowance, regardless of associated loyalty program: destination and cabin class of service (Economy or Executive). At this time there seems to be no difference in hand / cabin baggage allowance by subfare (DISCOUNT, BASIC, CLASSIC and PLUS in Economy class all have the same hand / cabin allowances; EXECUTIVE and TOP EXECUTIVE in Executive/ Business class do as well. (These fare designations will govern such characteristics as refundability, changeability, checked hold baggage, etc. but not hand baggage allowance.) link to page and video

If travelling to/from domestic destinations (including the islands), Europe, Africa and North America you can carry on the aircraft:

Executive Class*: 2 pieces of baggage up to 8 kg / 115 cm (55x40x20 cm / 22x16x8 in) + 1 personal item up to 2 Kg / 85 cm (40x30x15 cm / 16x12x5 in).

Economy Class: 1 piece of baggage up to 8 kg / 115 cm (55x40x20 cm / 22x16x8 in) + 1 personal item up to 2 Kg / 85 cm (40x30x15 cm / 16x12x5 in).

*Except to/from North America (Canada and the USA, as TAP currently does not fly to Mexico): 1 piece of baggage up to 8 kg / 115 cm (55x40x20 cm / 22x16x8 in) + 1 personal item up to 2 Kg / 85 cm (40x30x15 cm / 16x12x5 in).
If travelling to/from destinations in South America, you can carry on the aircraft:

Executive Class: 2 pieces of baggage up to 8 kg / 115 cm (55x40x20 cm / 22x16x8 in) + 1 personal item up to 2 Kg / 85 cm (40x30x15 cm / 16x12x5 in).

Economy Class: 1 piece of baggage up to 10 kg / 115 cm (55x40x20 cm / 22x16x8 in).
What can be a personal item?
  • A purse or a computer bag or shoulder bag (maximum size: 40x30x15 cm / 16x12x5 in);
  • Auxiliary mobility equipment;
  • Medical devices (by prescription/prior approval);
With a maximum weight of 2 Kg/4.4 Ib.

“Confirm in advance that your hand baggage is within the permitted limits (in terms of number, size and weight). If you exceed any of these requirements your baggage will be checked into the hold and you will be charged a fee at the boarding gate. Payment will only be possible by credit card.
Anecdotally, hand / cabin baggage is most likely to be scrutinized for size and weight at the check-in counters. Gates may have baggage sizers used by gate agents.

If overhead bins are deemed full, hand / cabin baggage may be gate checked. Gate checked bags may be retried with checked hold baggage at the arrival carousel.

It is a good idea to remove any valuable items (computers, tablets, mobile phones, etc.) or necessities (medicines, etc.) from hand / cabin baggage that is checked and sent to the hold and keep them with you.

Print Wikipost

TAP Carry-On / Cabin Baggage Rules and Enforcement (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2019, 1:33 am

Originally Posted by eakcats
OP reporting back. I went through security and boarding with no issues. While some did have tags for approved cabin baggage, it was not an issue that I didn’t. So, at least in this case, no problem bringing on US sized roller bag and backpack/personal item or having either weighed when I checked in online, used a mobile boarding pass and boarded with the premier group.
From what you saw, do you think a duffle bag, size 21 x 11 x 11 (still within the total linear allowance) would be allowed?
I'm getting conflicting info from different sources.
I'm afraid they say because it's wider than 8" that it won't be allowed
Old Jul 16, 2019, 11:33 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, MR Gold, HH Gold, GE
Based upon my experience, you should be okay as long as you can check in online and either print your own boarding pass or use a mobile one (assuming you are not checking luggage so don’t need to visit a check in counter). The only place where they appeared to be checking size or weight was the in person check in counter. I can’t speak to what would happen at a check in desk as I avoided using one. The only issue might be fitting it in the overhead however duffles tend to be more forgiving than more structured bags.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 5:19 pm
pxm

Having flown on TAP several times during the last month, I would caution you that they do sometimes check the size of the baggage at the gate. Additionally, passengers who do not have carry-on luggage are allowed to board before those who do.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by pxm
Having flown on TAP several times during the last month, I would caution you that they do sometimes check the size of the baggage at the gate. Additionally, passengers who do not have carry-on luggage are allowed to board before those who do.
Is it your understanding that as long as it's total linear measurement is under 115 cm that we're good?
Old Jul 17, 2019, 11:55 am

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Do they also weigh the bag or is it primarily a check of the dimensions? I've only once flown TAP and can't recall how it was handled.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 10:42 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by OskiBear
Do they also weigh the bag or is it primarily a check of the dimensions? I've only once flown TAP and can't recall how it was handled.
TAP check-in agents may weigh it at check-in, but no weighing at the gate.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by eakcats
I generally fly LH, LX, or ANA where *G and/or premium class travel means no weighing or measuring carry on luggage.

Thanks for any and all guidance.
I hear this a lot but can confirm on my MXP-ZRH-YUL in J, my carry-on was weighed at check-in, was deemed overweight, and agent told me to put some stuff into my personal item (what is the point of that anyway, they’re both going on the plane?).
Old Jul 20, 2019, 12:31 pm

Programs: AA Gld; DL Plat; UA Gld;Bonvoy Titanium4Life; Hyatt Silver;
Is the TAP on-line check in similar to what I'm used to with US carriers? I can print my boarding pass at the hotel, or have it sent to my iphone? I'm flying BCN-LIS then LIS-BOS two days later - trying their stopover program for the first time with my family of 5. Also - concerned about hand baggage weight, reading FT I now know to avoid the check in counters, but will bags be weighed at BCN or LIS gates? Looks like a whopping $92 to check a bag, but as *G I get one free. Finally - do "standard" rollaboard bags usually make it as "hand baggage"? Thanks in advance for any thoughts/suggestions!

PS - We're traveling in Discount or Basic, not J this time!

Last edited by FNZFUND; Jul 20, 2019 at 12:36 pm Reason: added PS
Old Jul 20, 2019, 12:52 pm

Sorry I mis-posted this in a TAP J class thread......I'm as confused by this as Snooks seems to be! We're a family of 5 and I can't imagine 5 seats will be together at T-3, so I'm considering paying for the extra space seats, although I'm on the 330neo so assume each sat has power - even if only USB. Is the TAP on-line check in similar to what I'm used to with US carriers? I can print my boarding pass at the hotel, or have it sent to my iphone? I'm flying BCN-LIS then LIS-BOS two days later - trying their stopover program for the first time with my family of 5. Also - concerned about hand baggage weight, reading FT I now know to avoid the check in counters, and bags will not be weighed at BCN or LIS gates. Looks like a whopping $92 to check a bag, but as *G I get one free. Finally - do "standard" rollaboard bags usually make it as "hand baggage"? Thanks in advance for any thoughts/suggestions!

Snooks130 likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by FNZFUND
Is the TAP on-line check in similar to what I'm used to with US carriers? I can print my boarding pass at the hotel, or have it sent to my iphone?
Yes.
I'm flying BCN-LIS then LIS-BOS two days later - trying their stopover program for the first time with my family of 5. Also - concerned about hand baggage weight, reading FT I now know to avoid the check in counters, but will bags be weighed at BCN or LIS gates?
No weighing at the gate

Looks like a whopping $92 to check a bag, but as *G I get one free. Finally - do "standard" rollaboard bags usually make it as "hand baggage"? Thanks in advance for any thoughts/suggestions!

Standard rollaboards are hand luggage. Board with *G and nobody will hassle you.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 2:10 pm

Thanks!
Old Jul 21, 2019, 2:40 am

Sorry I mis-posted this in a TAP J class thread......I'm as confused by this as Snooks seems to be! We're a family of 5 and I can't imagine 5 seats will be together at T-3, so I'm considering paying for the extra space seats, although I'm on the 330neo so assume each sat has power - even if only USB. Is the TAP on-line check in similar to what I'm used to with US carriers? I can print my boarding pass at the hotel, or have it sent to my iphone? I'm flying BCN-LIS then LIS-BOS two days later - trying their stopover program for the first time with my family of 5. Also - concerned about hand baggage weight, reading FT I now know to avoid the check in counters, and bags will not be weighed at BCN or LIS gates. Looks like a whopping $92 to check a bag, but as *G I get one free. Finally - do "standard" rollaboard bags usually make it as "hand baggage"? Thanks in advance for any thoughts/suggestions!

same answer as the other thread. no weighing at the gate. Board with *G group to avoid them hassling you.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 5:17 am

. Finally - do "standard" rollaboard bags usually make it as "hand baggage"? Thanks in advance for any thoughts/suggestions!

Standard is not a measurement. Do they look within the TAP rules? They do size bags with a cage at the gate. US wheeled bags are often much bigger than euro ones.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 8:58 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
We’ve merged TAP hand / cabin baggage related threads into one master thread and added a Wikipost (at the top of the page);with TAP’s hand / cabin rules with some explanation. This should make things easier to find in one place and reduce information fragmentation.

The Wikipost is “public property”, editable by signed in members with 90 days of FlyerTalk membership tenure and 90 recognized posts; feel free to add, edit etc. as necessary to keep information up to date.

Obrigado,

/Moderator

There are two factors used in determining hand baggage allowance: destination and cabin class of service (Economy or Executive). At this time there seems to be no difference in hand / cabin baggage allowance by subfare (DISCOUNT, BASIC, CLASSIC and PLUS in Economy class all have the same hand / cabin allowances; EXECUTIVE and TOP EXECUTIVE in Executive/ Business class do as well. (These fare designations will govern such characteristics as refundability, changeability, checked hold baggage, etc. but not hand baggage allowance.) link to page and video

Specific hand / cabin item weight and both total linear and individual dimension limits are given in the Wikipost in both metric and American measurement systems.

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 21, 2019 at 9:04 am
Old Jul 21, 2019, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by Palal
same answer as the other thread. no weighing at the gate. Board with *G group to avoid them hassling you.
I'm sure this is a stupid question, but... what is *G group?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.