Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > TAP Air Portugal | Miles&Go
Reload this Page >

Cancelling and getting a refund from TAP

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cancelling and getting a refund from TAP

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2020, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by norenewa
The terms are confusing to me. If I do not receive a response in a couple of days, I will contact my credit card company which is not AMEX unfortunately.
The airlines are slammed so responses and refunds may be delayed. The TAP site is barely operational at times today. I don't know if you have submitted for a refund or not but my plan is to submit for refund and then see what I get back and then check that against the terms both when I bought the ticket and currently (they are different) and if I don't like what I got take it up with Amex. I'll do the same if I get no refund in about four weeks or so. I have managed to get two cancellation/refunds in today but it has taken multiple tries over several hours to get them to go through when the website is working and they aren't making changes to it.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 3:43 am

Programs: M&M FTL, BAEC Silver
Is it just me or does the Request a Refund site not work? It keeps taking me back to the first screen once I've entered my ticket information. I guess I'll try it again later..
Old Mar 18, 2020, 3:50 am

Programs: BA Silver, UA 1K, DL Platinum
I had a non refundable flight booked BOS-LIS-NTE. This is now showing as cancelled. I got an email saying changed to depart from EWR,

The Refund request says I’ll get a voucher emailed but given the flights are cancelled do the EU regs mean I am entitled to a refund to original payment? If so I take it I need to call and not use the website?
Old Mar 18, 2020, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by bavarian1992
Is it just me or does the Request a Refund site not work? It keeps taking me back to the first screen once I've entered my ticket information. I guess I'll try it again later..
Keep trying it took me several hours of on and off trying to get my four refunds through yesterday. The refunds site was varying degrees of down or extremely slow to respond. They were even seemingly making changes to it over course of yesterday.
bavarian1992 likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 6:23 am

Originally Posted by rather_be_on_a_griffin
I had a non refundable flight booked BOS-LIS-NTE. This is now showing as cancelled. I got an email saying changed to depart from EWR,

The Refund request says I’ll get a voucher emailed but given the flights are cancelled do the EU regs mean I am entitled to a refund to original payment? If so I take it I need to call and not use the website?
BOS to EWR not exactly next door. Yes that change should entitle you to full cash refund so call them.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 2:03 pm

Copying and Pasting these useful points:

1. Call your credit company to place a dispute for your booking.
2. Send a complaint to the Portugal Aviation Authority (picture attached)
3. Send an email to the CTA mailto:[email protected].

If enough of us do these measures it should get the ball rolling. Good-luck!

Old Mar 18, 2020, 4:29 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Looks like TP is trying to limit the refunds by mentioning that refunds will only be provided in the form of vouchers, even for flight cancellations made by them.

"What should I do if my flight has been cancelled by TAP? Can I get a refund? How can it be requested?Refund can be requested here. It will be made through a voucher in the amount of the ticket. More information here."
Site: https://www.flytap.com/en-us/support...ng-information
Old Mar 18, 2020, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by Jimgotkp
Looks like TP is trying to limit the refunds by mentioning that refunds will only be provided in the form of vouchers, even for flight cancellations made by them.

"What should I do if my flight has been cancelled by TAP? Can I get a refund? How can it be requested?Refund can be requested here. It will be made through a voucher in the amount of the ticket. More information here."
Site: https://www.flytap.com/en-us/support...ng-information
I would certainly press them to give me a cash refund but failing that I'd to a chargeback on my credit card. If they cancel the flight and don't offer an acceptable alternative flight then they owe you cashback. Personally I wouldn't touch an airline voucher at this point.
mmff likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 1:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Jimgotkp
If they cancel, he have to refund the cash paid. Simple as that.

But this is TAP, and nothing is going to stop them trying to bamboozle you into accepting vouchers, but don't fall for that. If you do accept the offer it might might be difficult to backtrack.

There's a pretty good chance TAP will sometime soon no longer exist in a form where you might want to use a voucher.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 12:55 pm

I'm guessing not, but has anyone received a refund back to their credit card for submitting the refund form (pre March 17 when it indicated a voucher refund instead)?
Old Mar 19, 2020, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by Soccerjoshj07
I'm guessing not, but has anyone received a refund back to their credit card for submitting the refund form (pre March 17 when it indicated a voucher refund instead)?
My cancel/refund request was submitted on Mar 2, approved on Mar 5, and at that point the status on the site changed to:

Your refund has been made. Please contact your bank or credit card issuer to confirm date of payment.

I have not seen the credit on my card yet.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by gr2020
My cancel/refund request was submitted on Mar 2, approved on Mar 5, and at that point the status on the site changed to:

Your refund has been made. Please contact your bank or credit card issuer to confirm date of payment.

I am going to give them four weeks and then do a charge back on my CC (I only cancelled yesterday but they are refundable J tickets).

I had a trip to Asia in early March I ended up cancelling in February and so far this is how long I have been waiting for things to show up on CC from various airlines:
Turkish Airlines: 2 days from cancellation.

Cathay Pacific/Asia Miles 3x cancellation all credits showed up in 1-2 weeks.

DrukAir (Bhutan flag carrier): Five weeks and counting. They responded in one day to my refund request via email (only way to reach them) confirming refund in 14 business days so three weeks. After four weeks initiated chargeback with CC company.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by gr2020

Quicker than mine. It looks like it mentions within 7 business days in their general transport conditions document.

"Your refund request is being reviewed and will be dealt with within the period of time stated in the Terms and Conditions (chapter on refunds)

Date of Request : 14-03-2020"

It looks like it mentions within 7 business days in their general transport conditions document.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 2:36 pm

I received a voucher for one of my flights with a message stating: You have received a TAP Voucher of xxUSD to travel in our Airline According to your option, a voucher has been issued in the amount of your refund, whose reference is RORxx. You can discount this amount on your next trip or use the voucher to purchase a TAP product or service.

QUESTION: Should I be entitled to a refund and not a voucher? This flight ended up canceled by TAP but I had already submitted for a refund a couple days before the flight canceled.

CONDITIONS when I booked the ticket:
Refund Any time
- cancellations permitted. Refund the fare paid less the applicable one-way / round trip fare for the sectors already travelled. Charge applies per ticket holder.
Request for refund within 24 hours is subject to a EUR 30,00 fee and the refund will be given in the form of a voucher where the fee will be deducted. The voucher is non-refundable and must be used for the purchase of TAP tickets within one year after its issuance.
For tickets issued in Israel, a fee of USD30.00 or 5% of the value of the total price ot the ticket (whichever is lower) will be applied if a ticket was issued within 14 days and at least 7 working days prior to the beginning of the travel.
For tickets issued in USA, Canada and Brazil no fee will be applied if ticket was issued at least 7 days before the flight departure.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by norenewa
I received a voucher for one of my flights with a message stating: You have received a TAP Voucher of xxUSD to travel in our Airline According to your option, a voucher has been issued in the amount of your refund, whose reference is RORxx. You can discount this amount on your next trip or use the voucher to purchase a TAP product or service.

QUESTION: Should I be entitled to a refund and not a voucher? This flight ended up canceled by TAP but I had already submitted for a refund a couple days before the flight canceled.

CONDITIONS when I booked the ticket:
Refund Any time
- cancellations permitted. Refund the fare paid less the applicable one-way / round trip fare for the sectors already travelled. Charge applies per ticket holder.
Request for refund within 24 hours is subject to a EUR 30,00 fee and the refund will be given in the form of a voucher where the fee will be deducted. The voucher is non-refundable and must be used for the purchase of TAP tickets within one year after its issuance.
For tickets issued in Israel, a fee of USD30.00 or 5% of the value of the total price ot the ticket (whichever is lower) will be applied if a ticket was issued within 14 days and at least 7 working days prior to the beginning of the travel.
For tickets issued in USA, Canada and Brazil no fee will be applied if ticket was issued at least 7 days before the flight departure.
So you cancelled proactively before the flight was cancelled by TAP? If so my read of the terms is you are due a voucher which you got and it doesn't matter that the flight was then later cancelled by TAP. The airlines to some degree are playing chicken with folks and cancelling as late as possible hoping folks cancel proactively. If you don't have a cash refundable ticket my advice is wait for until the last minute to cancel and hope TAP cancels the flight.

Edit the terms are confusing because the mention of the voucher is for tickets cancelled within 24 hours. The refund any time doesn't mention a voucher but it is unlikely that policy would be more generous than the 24 hour policy.

Last edited by 36902BRF; Mar 24, 2020 at 2:49 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.