Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > TAP Air Portugal | Miles&Go
Reload this Page >

Cancelling and getting a refund from TAP

Cancelling and getting a refund from TAP

Old Jul 21, 20, 6:34 am

Programs: Miles&Smiles Gold
After a few days I got a respond on facebook that they will refund to the original form of payment.

They even did not ask me about a voucher? I would have accepted a voucher but just with 20% bonus.

Lets see. I paid over paypal, maybe I can get the money back over them. But I will give them some time now.
Old Jul 21, 20, 2:05 pm

OMG this is painful. Still waiting around for my $3300+ after getting roughly $200 per person in vouchers about 6 weeks ago. I called someone in AMEX (the card) and ranted, I told them I knew the charges were too old to get anything via the dispute process (I originally purchased in June 2019, then reissued in August). I basically said I was going to go after AMEX (the card) for misleading Platinum card members into believing they would get any sort of white glove service from AMEX Travel. I recounted how on my first interaction with AMEX Travel, a rude agent stood up for TAP and its unilateral attempt to change the fare rules and ignore the DOT regs. In the end, they got me through to some person at AMEX Travel who is meant to de-escalate these failures. Got a helpful person who was able to chase down some info, apparently my follow on DOT complaint and letter to TAP seems to have kicked the tickets back into refund mode, which she said makes it appear that TAP are again process a refund. That's somewhat helpful. She said patience is wearing thin with a lot of customers and that the EU airlines are slow walking these refunds (she said 2 months), so hopefully my wait is about 1/2 way over now.
Old Jul 23, 20, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by maustro View Post
Throughout this time I tweeted / DMd TAP and they were unable to help me.
Wow... two days after I received a response from a DOT agent, I just received my refund in full. Paid via Chase UR points.
Old Jul 23, 20, 3:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Wow... two days after I received a response from a DOT agent, I just received my refund in full. Paid via Chase UR points.
This.

DOT requires the carrier to respond in writing to the complainant (you) and to provide a copy to DOT. It's easier and cheaper to refund then it is to fight. Squeaky wheels.

Don't wait an extra day to chargeback and don't wait an extra day -- if US law applies -- to file a complaint.
maustro and Ernesto Perez like this.
Old Jul 28, 20, 5:23 am

I'm trying to start the DOT complaint, but it always says "500 - Internal server error". Is it because the web is down or any other option? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Ernesto Perez; Jul 28, 20 at 5:49 am
Old Jul 28, 20, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by Ernesto Perez View Post
I'm trying to start the DOT complaint, but it always says "500 - Internal server error". Is it because the web is down or any other option? Thanks in advance!
Ok, it was just a temporary error and I could fill the complaint. Do you receive any confirmation when sent on the e-mail?
Old Aug 1, 20, 11:26 am

Programs: Navy A-4 Skyhawk, B727 FE/FO, S80 FO, B757/767 FO, B737 CA
Originally Posted by 36902BRF View Post
You may know this but for the benefit of others unless the charge is some nominal amount, the refund is provisional until Citi (or other CC issuer) investigates which can take up to two months.
Yep, and as an update, I got the permanent refund from Citi almost 2 months after filing for it (Jun 2 to Jul 30). Haven't heard anything from TAP...and maybe I won't. The ticket was a Top Executive which is a fully refundable ticket even before the Covid mess. Good luck to everyone else.
Old Aug 3, 20, 10:29 am

Just saw you PM'd me a few weeks ago and just sent a response, but WOW. Good for you! By "received a response from DOT agent" do you mean their email basically confirming DOT has received the complaint and will be forwarding it to TAP?

I filed my complaint 6/10, received the DOT confirmation on 7/13, and still nothing from TAP.

And how exactly did you get the refund, did your points just show up without you having to contact Chase again?
Traveler56789 likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: