Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > TAP Air Portugal | Miles&Go
Reload this Page >

Cancelling and getting a refund from TAP

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cancelling and getting a refund from TAP

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2020, 5:21 pm

Hey guys! I have joined this for some help regarding what to do.

Firstly for anyone trying to get a hold of Tap Air, it seems they answer on their facebook and Twitter pages. Write a DM to them and then comment on a bunch of their posts that you are waiting for a reply.

My situation is that they cancelled our flights in April, and I asked for a cash refund. They automatically gave us the dreaded vouchers. I wrote an email, and forgot about it until recently. Decided to file a complaint and then reach out on social media. They reply saying that they cannot give me a cash refund as they have given me a voucher already. A voucher I did not ask for. I wrote back, linking to: https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-cont...LEX:32004R0261 (google it as it wouldn't let me post.) the EU law that says that I am entitled to a cash refund. Will update what they reply.

You Americans are lucky that you can dispute the payment with your credit cards. I am Danish, and wrote to my bank who replied they can only help if there was fraud involved. I wrote back asking about the "purchase protection" which Visa has about on their website.

Any other suggestions?
JDiver likes this.

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 18, 2020 at 5:32 pm Reason: Replaced reference with working link
Old Jun 18, 2020, 5:31 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Kluulz

Firstly for anyone trying to get a hold of Tap Air, it seems they answer on their facebook and Twitter pages. Write a DM to them and then comment on a bunch of their posts that you are waiting for a reply.

My situation is that they cancelled our flights in April, and I asked for a cash refund. They automatically gave us the dreaded vouchers. I wrote an email, and forgot about it until recently. Decided to file a complaint and then reach out on social media. They reply saying that they cannot give me a cash refund as they have given me a voucher already. A voucher I did not ask for. I wrote back, linking to: eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=CELEX:32004R0261 (google it as it wouldn't let me post.) the EU law that says that I am entitled to a cash refund. Will update what they reply.

You Americans are lucky that you can dispute the payment with your credit cards. I am Danish, and wrote to my bank who replied they can only help if there was fraud involved. I wrote back asking about the "purchase protection" which Visa has about on their website.

Any other suggestions?
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

It sounds to me like quoting the EU (EC) No 261/2004 is a very good start. Good luck. Do let us know how this goes.

(Including a link in an early post sends it go a moderation queue for approval as part of our spam abatement program. I’ve added a working link and approved your post. Caveat: if you edit your post, it will be returned to the moderation queue. You won’t have to put up with this for more than a very few posts. — Moderator)
Kluulz likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 6:39 am

Programs: UA-1Kmm, AA-EX Plt mm-, Hilton Diamond,

My situation is that they cancelled our flights in April, and I asked for a cash refund. They automatically gave us the dreaded vouchers. I wrote an email, and forgot about it until recently. Decided to file a complaint and then reach out on social media. They reply saying that they cannot give me a cash refund as they have given me a voucher already. A voucher I did not ask for. I wrote back, linking to: https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-cont...LEX:32004R0261 (google it as it wouldn't let me post.) the EU law that says that I am entitled to a cash refund. Will update what they reply.

Any other suggestions?
If TAP legally owes you a refund and has not provided it I would press your bank again to say that you consider this to be a fraud. In any event see if you can file a complaint with any applicable regulator authority in your home country.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
It has already been established in this forum that TAP will refuse to make refunds. I doubt you will get anywhere with you referring to EU law. TAP doesn't care. Most likely you will have to accept vouchers and cash them in once they expire.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Any other suggestions?

ANAC (the Portuguese civi aviation authority, and enforcer of EC261) can be helpful, though it can be slow. The agency has given formal reminders to TAP that the airline is absolutely obliged to give cash refunds.

And the TAP website does (grudgingly) offers cash refunds: If you want the refund to be made in the same way the ticket was paid or via bank transfer, the request must be made through our Contact Center.

I think the ANAC website (including the passenger claim form) is now only in Portuguese. https://www.anac.pt/vPT/Passageiros/...eclamacao.aspx
But you can write to them:

Departamento de Preços e Defesa do Consumidor
ANAC
Rua B, Edifício 4
Aeroporto Humberto Delgado
1749-034
Lisboa
Portugal

Keep it simple.
Flight cancelled byTAP. Requested cash refund. Received voucher from TAP. Appreciate assistance in obtaining cash refund.
Ticket number, itinerary and copies of any email/letters received.

------------------------------

Certainly try TAP again. https://www.flytap.com/en-gb/support...o-us/complaint.

If you don't have email requesting for a cash refund (rather than voucher), give he date/time of the phone conversation (they should be able to find a recording)

If there's a TAP office at your local airport try enlisting their support.

-------------------------------

I don't understand the attitude of your credit card provider. You have a contractual dispute with the merchant.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by SK AAR
Most likely you will have to accept vouchers and cash them in once they expire.
As far as I know, the vouchers cannot be redeemed for cash.
Old Jun 20, 2020, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
ANAC (the Portuguese civi aviation authority, and enforcer of EC261) can be helpful, though it can be slow. The agency has given formal reminders to TAP that the airline is absolutely obliged to give cash refunds.

And the TAP website does (grudgingly) offers cash refunds: If you want the refund to be made in the same way the ticket was paid or via bank transfer, the request must be made through our

I think the ANAC website (including the passenger claim form) is now only in Portuguese.
But you can write to them:

Departamento de Preços e Defesa do Consumidor
ANAC
Rua B, Edifício 4
Aeroporto Humberto Delgado
1749-034
Lisboa
Portugal

Keep it simple.
Flight cancelled byTAP. Requested cash refund. Received voucher from TAP. Appreciate assistance in obtaining cash refund.
Ticket number, itinerary and copies of any email/letters received.

------------------------------

Certainly try TAP again.

If you don't have email requesting for a cash refund (rather than voucher), give he date/time of the phone conversation (they should be able to find a recording)

If there's a TAP office at your local airport try enlisting their support.

-------------------------------

I don't understand the attitude of your credit card provider. You have a contractual dispute with the merchant.
Hey guys, thanks for the replies!

I already wrote to their customer care about getting cash refund, but then they replied saying that they have already issued me a refund through vouchers. This is the same response I received on their Twitter. Have sent a complaint, so will see what they say. I have also pushed my bank and filed a report on the transaction to Tap Air, so will also have to wait to see what they say.

What is totally misleading is that on TAP's website to request for a refund, it only says "refund" it does not say "voucher refund" - so naturally one would assume it is the money you get back.

Thanks a lot for the info on the ANAC. Through google translate, I am able to fill in the form electronically. So will do that too.

Will keep you all updated!
Old Jun 21, 2020, 9:56 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Refunds

For those that requested cash refunds were you asked to send copies of your passport to [email protected]? Was told needed it to validate since only US passengers were entitled to cash refunds. Also refund would take 2 months because there are 30 times more refunds being processed. No email confirmation would be issued only given a reference #.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA-1Kmm, AA-EX Plt mm-, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by AICML
For those that requested cash refunds were you asked to send copies of your passport to [email protected]? Was told needed it to validate since only US passengers were entitled to cash refunds. Also refund would take 2 months because there are 30 times more refunds being processed. No email confirmation would be issued only given a reference #.
This sounds like you were told something incorrectly. It's true that if one of the flights in your ticket touches the US that the legal rules say you might be due a cash refund. But you don't need a US passport to qualify for DOT enforcement. The DOT rules on US flights apply to all passengers regardless of citizenship.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 2:51 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FLYDCA
This sounds like you were told something incorrectly. It's true that if one of the flights in your ticket touches the US that the legal rules say you might be due a cash refund. But you don't need a US passport to qualify for DOT enforcement. The DOT rules on US flights apply to all passengers regardless of citizenship.
Thanks. Good to know. I am not sure then why I need to send passport since they have all of the information needed to refund the ticket and I don't want to send it.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 3:45 pm

Update on refund via Expedia: agent tried calling them (again) and the new message from TAP says they are not answering any phone calls until July 31st - all requests must go via email. Since this is the third time Expedia sent emails to them i am not sure if i ever get a reply. Filing in DOT complaint.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by AICML
Thanks. Good to know. I am not sure then why I need to send passport since they have all of the information needed to refund the ticket and I don't want to send it.
Yeah TAP seems to think that DOT rules only apply to US citizens (or perhaps thinks DOT won't go to bat for non-US nationals). As for sending your passport I agree you shouldn't have to send it but this being TAP you probably want to choose your poison do you want to fight them more or do you want your cash?
Old Jun 23, 2020, 2:43 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Gold, Delta Gold, HH ◊, SPG Gold
Update #2

Received email from TAP and cc'd DOT confirming cash refund on 5/11/2020 and please be patient for refund. Now 43 days and no refund.
Old Jun 25, 2020, 12:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, WN A-list, AS MVP 75K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Last week they denied a refund on LGW-LIS tickets--offered voucher +20%. Route doesn't even exist anymore. Took that up with my cc company.

Today they agreed to refund OPO-LIS-SFO (second leg doesn't exist) with no hassle. But said 6-8 week waiting period. We'll see how they keep that promise.
Old Jun 25, 2020, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by bbison
Last week they denied a refund on LGW-LIS tickets--offered voucher +20%. Route doesn't even exist anymore. Took that up with my cc company.

Today they agreed to refund OPO-LIS-SFO (second leg doesn't exist) with no hassle. But said 6-8 week waiting period. We'll see how they keep that promise.
They're careful enough not to go against the DOT but could not care less about the EU directives. In my experience, the chargeback is the best course of action (if you value your time and money) when dealing with an European carrier these days. You can file the chargeback 7 days after you requested the refund from the airline, you do not need to wait until they deign to reply.
Giantaxe likes this.

Last edited by mmff; Jun 25, 2020 at 2:36 pm Reason: add links

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.