Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > TAP Air Portugal | Miles&Go
Reload this Page >

TAP contract lounges: recent changes and Star Gold access

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TAP contract lounges: recent changes and Star Gold access

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2019, 2:21 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The TP website still shows lounge access to a contract lounge (' No.1 Traveller ') in LGW: https://www.flytap.com/en-gb/at-the-...?accordionid=3

On the same page FAO is no longer listed, MAD only has lounges for pax travelling in business. In OSL, GIG and YYZ they have made arrangements for TAP Silver pax to get lounge access in contract lounges

So the decision to end contracts with non*A lounges seems to be selective. Or the contract has not run out yet
Old Jun 4, 2019, 2:27 am

I just rang No 1 Lounges, they confirmed the contract is still in place.

So the cancellation must be selective, or maybe they renegioiated some already.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by oliver2002

On the same page FAO is no longer listed, MAD only has lounges for pax travelling in business. In OSL, GIG and YYZ they have made arrangements for TAP Silver pax to get lounge access in contract lounges

So the decision to end contracts with non*A lounges seems to be selective. Or the contract has not run out yet
The TAP Silver arrangement at Oslo sounds odd. Maybe it's a fast-changing world. Perhaps faith in TAP's website, while touching, is misguided.

Odd thing at Manchester: TAP is switching to Swissport, the operator of the Aspire lounge they ditched a couple of weeks' back.

Last edited by IAN-UK; Jun 4, 2019 at 4:12 am
Old Jun 9, 2019, 4:41 am
tff

Programs: FB LTPE, TP Gold, All Gold
This week I flew out of ORY and was denied acess to the lounge (TP gold flying in Y); according to the lounge dragon, no TP pax, not even C pax, had access since TP had terminated the contract.

However, TP's lounge finder functionality now shows once again access to lounges it did not show last week: ORY, MXP, LGW, MAD and BCN. It still shows no lounge access in the following airports: FAO, PXO, PDL, TER (domestically), SVQ, ALC, BIO, VLC, AGP, LPA, TFS, NCE, BOD, NTE, LYS, MRS, TLS, LUX, MAN, DUB, PRG, BUD, BLQ, FLR, NAP, VCE, DME (in Europe), CMN, RAK, FEZ, TNG, RAI, SID, BVC, VXE, TMS (in Africa), BEL, NAT, FOR, SSA, REC, CNF, POA (in Brazil) or JFK (in the US).

I had the chance to talk to the acting station manager in ORY, who was very apologetic, and said he would insist with the HQ that several complaints had been presented.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tff
This week I flew out of ORY and was denied acess to the lounge (TP gold flying in Y); according to the lounge dragon, no TP pax, not even C pax, had access since TP had terminated the contract.

However, TP's lounge finder functionality now shows once again access to lounges it did not show last week: ORY, MXP, LGW, MAD and BCN. It still shows no lounge access in the following airports: FAO, PXO, PDL, TER (domestically), SVQ, ALC, BIO, VLC, AGP, LPA, TFS, NCE, BOD, NTE, LYS, MRS, TLS, LUX, MAN, DUB, PRG, BUD, BLQ, FLR, NAP, VCE, DME (in Europe), CMN, RAK, FEZ, TNG, RAI, SID, BVC, VXE, TMS (in Africa), BEL, NAT, FOR, SSA, REC, CNF, POA (in Brazil) or JFK (in the US).

I had the chance to talk to the acting station manager in ORY, who was very apologetic, and said he would insist with the HQ that several complaints had been presented.
Madrid's an odd one. A couple of weeks' back the Madrid lounge gate-keeper said "no" to any type of TP entry, whether based on class of travel, TP-status or Star Gold-ness. Perhaps she got it wrong; perhaps TAP saw sense and reversed its rule. Perhaps TAP's website isn't fully reflecting reality (shock horror ). Who knows?

But I guess if they don't see the sense of looking after premium-class passengers at JFK, on what should be one of their most revenue intense routes, what chance do Manchester, Madrid and Dublin (etc) have?

Oh, and they've also stopped hotel accommodation for (long-haul , business-class) connections requiring an overnight in Lisbon.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 2:26 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus
I am flying TP out of ORD in November. I noticed they haven't updated the lounge list on their website. Will I have access to the United Club as a MP Gold?
Old Jun 15, 2019, 8:08 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by kipfilet
I am flying TP out of ORD in November. I noticed they haven't updated the lounge list on their website. Will I have access to the United Club as a MP Gold?
*G still get access to *G lounges everywhere.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 5:49 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
I see the lounge at PDL has been a casualty of this cut by TAP in their reduction of premium services too.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 7:18 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Madrid's an odd one. A couple of weeks' back the Madrid lounge gate-keeper said "no" to any type of TP entry, whether based on class of travel, TP-status or Star Gold-ness. Perhaps she got it wrong; perhaps TAP saw sense and reversed its rule. Perhaps TAP's website isn't fully reflecting reality (shock horror ). Who knows?
No changes in MAD as of yesterday. Had to use my PPass card to get in.

Food's improved there btw. (just like in all other AENA lounges) vs. a few years ago.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Palal
No changes in MAD as of yesterday. Had to use my PPass card to get in.

Food's improved there btw. (just like in all other AENA lounges) vs. a few years ago.
The confusion might be that MAD was reported as open, but for bona fide business-class passengers only: though the lounge maidens told me no-one allowed.
But the source was also quoting lounge access in Oslo for TAP Silvers, which seemed to be draining the airline's shallow well of generosity.

I'm pleased to report the unlikely find of M&M availabilty to San Francisco, giving me the opportunity to ditch the cheap TP business-class flight for (I think) EUR140 - saving about the same amount on an overnight in Lisbon, and avoiding the no-lounge policy.

Sadly it means I'll also miss the airline's legendary onboard service... oh well, another cross to bear
Palal and Tafflyer like this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 1:50 pm

TAP new lounge access policy

I’m Star Alliance Gold member and last 10th June, I was travelling TP1201 DME-LIS in business class and found out that no lounge was available for any TAP passengers at DME airport.

At check-in I was informed that TAP, at the end of April, ceased agreement with Contract Lounges at DME and other 38 airports: ALC, BEL, CNF, BIO, BLQ, BOD, BUD, CCS, CMN, DUB, FAO, FLR, FOR, LPA, LUX, LYS, AGP, MAN, RAK, MRS, DME, NTE, NAP, NAT, JFK, NCE, PDL, POA, RAI, REC, SID, SSA, SVQ, TNG, TER, TLS, VLC, VCE.

Besides, lounge access in the airports BCN, MAD, ORY, TLV, ABJ is only granted for C class passengers, not Gold members.

In my case I had no choice to get a seat in front of the Austrian Lounge at DME, watching all other Star Alliance airlines eligible passengers entering the lounge… All Star Alliance airlines flying to DME has Contract Lounge for their passengers, except TAP.

If this new TAP policy is to continue, I will choose alternative Star Alliance airlines for future flights
Old Jul 9, 2019, 2:46 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Platinum, AX Platinum, Hertz PC, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
David Neeleman owns 45% of TP and there is no way he will rest easy with TP in bed with Star Alliance. Those days are absolutely numbered.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CSTTI
I’m Star Alliance Gold member and last 10th June, I was travelling TP1201 DME-LIS in business class and found out that no lounge was available for any TAP passengers at DME airport.

At check-in I was informed that TAP, at the end of April, ceased agreement with Contract Lounges at DME and other 38 airports: ALC, BEL, CNF, BIO, BLQ, BOD, BUD, CCS, CMN, DUB, FAO, FLR, FOR, LPA, LUX, LYS, AGP, MAN, RAK, MRS, DME, NTE, NAP, NAT, JFK, NCE, PDL, POA, RAI, REC, SID, SSA, SVQ, TNG, TER, TLS, VLC, VCE.

Besides, lounge access in the airports BCN, MAD, ORY, TLV, ABJ is only granted for C class passengers, not Gold members.

In my case I had no choice to get a seat in front of the Austrian Lounge at DME, watching all other Star Alliance airlines eligible passengers entering the lounge… All Star Alliance airlines flying to DME has Contract Lounge for their passengers, except TAP.

If this new TAP policy is to continue, I will choose alternative Star Alliance airlines for future flights
Yes. This bonkers change had been highlighted other threads. TAP claims to have adjusted its lounge access to match STAR policy. Go figure, as they say...

They'll save, what, $100 per flight? But lose the revenue from your next J-class trips: and mine.

TAP is simply a dysfunctional carrier.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 3:43 pm

Programs: Various shiny cards at hotel chains and airlines
Well, SAS has similar policy for quite some time already. Likewise Delta has set restrictions for STE+ travellers on economy in airports with contract lounges. BA charges for non-elites in business class on seat assignments.Emirates is already unbundling the business class offering, likely others to follow. I think in the future

Don't worry, things will get more interesting in the years to come.

I think that probably we'll also see business class fares coming up only only without lounge access, but also without food onboard. I see that also even using the full functionality of the seat could be further monetised: for example, using business class seat in flat bed mode on your seat could cost more than using it in armchair position. Or extra charge for blankets and pillows. Amenity kit surcharge.

For example, 1 USD business class base-fare, plus 1200 USD seat space surcharges (800 for the main and 400 extra for being able to extend flat), 200 catering surcharge (could be further split between food and drinks), 150 USD lounge surcharge, 80 USD fast track security surcharge, ad-free entertainment surcharge (25 USD). Gamification on meals could be thing as well: pay extra if you wish to have guaranteed meal, otherwise you'll be automatically assigned one, which you can't change.

That would enable airlines to make their products also harder to compare at OTAs, and perhaps drive more traffic their own websites.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 5:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Fims
Well, SAS has similar policy for quite some time already. Likewise Delta has set restrictions for STE+ travellers on economy in airports with contract lounges. BA charges for non-elites in business class on seat assignments.Emirates is already unbundling the business class offering, likely others to follow. I think in the future

Don't worry, things will get more interesting in the years to come.

I think that probably we'll also see business class fares coming up only only without lounge access, but also without food onboard. I see that also even using the full functionality of the seat could be further monetised: for example, using business class seat in flat bed mode on your seat could cost more than using it in armchair position. Or extra charge for blankets and pillows. Amenity kit surcharge.

For example, 1 USD business class base-fare, plus 1200 USD seat space surcharges (800 for the main and 400 extra for being able to extend flat), 200 catering surcharge (could be further split between food and drinks), 150 USD lounge surcharge, 80 USD fast track security surcharge, ad-free entertainment surcharge (25 USD). Gamification on meals could be thing as well: pay extra if you wish to have guaranteed meal, otherwise you'll be automatically assigned one, which you can't change.

That would enable airlines to make their products also harder to compare at OTAs, and perhaps drive more traffic their own websites.
extra fee to use restroom: $5 to pee, $10 to shiit. FA will verify the appropriate charges.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.