Wiki Posts
Search

TAP Air Portugal one way vs multi city

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2019, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

TAP Air Portugal one way vs multi city

Hi,

I'm looking at TLS (Toulouse)- LIS- SFO, with an overnight in LIS, I assume it's best to book this as a one way (with long connection) rather than multi-city to be protected in case of misconnect? Is multi-city on TAP website simply two one way fares? What is confusing me is that the multi city fare is actually cheaper than if I actually price out two one way fares. Any insight much appreciated, booking for family of four.

thanks
Old Mar 5, 2019, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
It doesn't matter either way (i.e. one-way with long connection vs. multicity) for protection purposes. Buy the cheapest.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 6:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BA6501
It doesn't matter either way (i.e. one-way with long connection vs. multicity) for protection purposes. Buy the cheapest.

well let's say TLS-LIS runs late or cancels and the next flight to LIS arrives after LIS-SFO departs, if they are booked as separate tickets I was under the impression that could be a problem, they are not under obligation to rebook LIS-SFO, only TLS-LIS. No?
Old Mar 5, 2019, 7:53 pm
Original Poster

Now that I think about it more, perhaps there is some protection as a multicity booking if it is under one pnr, or I wonder with TAP if their multicity ticket has one ticket number which I would think offers protection?
Old Mar 5, 2019, 11:38 pm
Original Poster

Ok latest wrinkle is it won't ticket at the cheaper multicity rate, only the higher one way
Old Mar 6, 2019, 12:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by adlibitum
well let's say TLS-LIS runs late or cancels and the next flight to LIS arrives after LIS-SFO departs, if they are booked as separate tickets I was under the impression that could be a problem, they are not under obligation to rebook LIS-SFO, only TLS-LIS. No?
Yes that is correct. They may rebook you but they don't have to even if the misconnect is their fault. The only airline I know that would protect you is AA to/from another One World airline (with some conditions involving valid transit times)

As to pricing the markert for TLS-LIS-SFO is not the same as that for TLS-LIS and LIS-SFO hence the differential pricing.

A couple of weeks ago I flew TAP on LHR-LIS-BOS-LIS-LGW and despite having 2 extra flights involved (and having to pay higher rate UK APD as I was in business) the fare was much cheaper than a simple LIS-BOS return. It's all to do with attracting passengers from other airlines.

As to it not pricing up try e.g. expedia rather than the TAP website. I've booked trips using them (all on the same ticket / pnr) that the airlines own website won't ticket.

Last edited by UKtravelbear; Mar 6, 2019 at 1:00 am
Old Mar 6, 2019, 2:20 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
If you book as multicity, it will still be on one PNR under one ticket, so you still have protection. If you book two separate one-ways then no protection for you and you'll have to pick up and re-check luggage.

Try a third party website to see if you can get the cheaper price.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 2:29 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
You are overthinking it, there is no difference in airline responsibility booking the same itinerary as a one-way with a connection or a multi-city

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.