Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > TAP Air Portugal | Miles&Go
Reload this Page >

TAP Portugal. Gate Check Baggage Fee (award ticket)

Old Oct 15, 18, 8:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: Cattle Class

Would TAP charge me if I have to check in my bag at the gate (on an award Y ticket)?
Planning to bring a backpack (<8 k) and a 21" roller (which might be > 8 kg) with me and would prefer not to check my bag in in order to save couple of minutes upon the arrival. An award ticket comes with a free bag up to 23 kg however if it has to be checked in at the gate, is there additional fee I would have to pay?
Language on their website:
"If you exceed any of these requirements your baggage will be checked into the hold and you will be charged a fee at the boarding gate. Payment will only be possible by credit card."
This reads that if they have to check it in at the gate, they would charge me even if one bag is free.
Old Oct 16, 18, 5:56 am

Programs: A3*G, EY Silver
Originally Posted by Awtas View Post
Would TAP charge me if I have to check in my bag at the gate (on an award Y ticket)?
Planning to bring a backpack (<8 k) and a 21" roller (which might be > 8 kg) with me and would prefer not to check my bag in in order to save couple of minutes upon the arrival. An award ticket comes with a free bag up to 23 kg however if it has to be checked in at the gate, is there additional fee I would have to pay?
I haven't seen them charge anyone at the gate yet. They do make some people check if they are expecting a full flight (like in the US). By not checking, you'd be saving a good half hour if it's LIS you're traveling to.

If you check in online and bypass the check-in counter with your carry-on bag, then they won't weigh it.
Old Oct 16, 18, 8:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: Cattle Class
Thanks. That's for the LIS - US bound flight. Most likely will be checking in at the airport.
Old Oct 16, 18, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by Awtas View Post
Thanks. That's for the LIS - US bound flight. Most likely will be checking in at the airport.
Check in online or at the airport kiosk if you think your bag is on the weight limit line. Depending on where you are departing from they might be in the mood to charge you the checked bag fee if you are 1 pound overweight. The gate agent won't check probably. Just wheel your bag on board if its a standard carry on. Do not speak with the check in agent, unless you absolutely have to - and why would you if you are HBO.
Old Oct 17, 18, 1:47 pm

Programs: A3*G, EY Silver
If you're not checking bags, check in online or at the kiosk at the airport and avoid the counter.

If you're *G check in at the *G area, past the self bag drop area (to the far left as you enter departures) - they won't give you issues re: carry-on weight.
Old Oct 18, 18, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by Palal View Post
By not checking, you'd be saving a good half hour if it's LIS you're traveling to.
If he's lucky...

Search this Thread