TAP - Lisbon - Baggage check-in time

Old Sep 16, 2018, 1:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond
TAP - Lisbon - Baggage check-in time

Has anyone had recent experience checking baggage with TAP at Lisbon? We may have to be there 6 hours before our flight so would like to check the luggage and proceed through security to the lounge. But at other airports we couldn't check luggage until 3 hours before departure. Would appreciate any recent experiences.
​​​​
Old Sep 17, 2018, 1:21 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
You shouldn't have problems checking 6 hours prior to the flight as it's their hub. If you're not gold, most luggage checking is now done using the self drop kiosks.

Just FYI, 6 hours is waaaay too long to spend at the lounge in LIS. Once you check your bags, take the metro (or grab an uber) to Oriente and walk around and enjoy some fresh air there. You can, of course, go to the city center and enjoy your time there as well.

Note - if your flight is at 6AM and you're thinking about doing this at midnight, neither the TP nor the airport-run ANA lounge is open overnight.
Yoshi212 likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 12:52 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply. We (and our luggage) have to be off the cruise ship by 9am. We considered storing the luggage (3 pieces) near the dock and doing more sightseeing but the logistics started getting too complicated.

I like the idea of checking the luggage and then using the metro but DH doesn't like taking chances - we've had close calls before with strikes/accidents on public transportation. I may talk him into it once we're at the airport. Thanks!
Old Sep 18, 2018, 1:29 pm

The Lisbon metro is so so easy and very cheap. Make sure you have a card that has chip/pin access to use the metro ticket machines. Just buy enough for 2 fares (each), something like 3 euros. Very easy to get in and out of the city from the airport stop. The ANA lounge is OK, but I certainly wouldn't want to spend 6 hours there. Are you flying to the US? Plan to be back at the security checkpoint with boarding passes ready about 1.5-2 hours ahead of time to get through security and then immigration, as well as gate security.

Go into town, get a coffee and a pastry and take a stroll enjoying beautiful Lisboa.
Yoshi212 likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 4:52 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
If you want less hassle, Uber takes 20 mins to get into/out of the center (25 with traffic which is only at rush hour, 8-12) and 5-7 minutes to Oriente (3-5). The metro takes a bit longer.

If you check your bags 6 hours before your flight, you have 4.5 hours to enjoy. If nothing else, find a nice cafe and enjoy the scenery.

If you're not *G, plan on entering the security line 90 mins before departure to enjoy a smooth experience.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 11:27 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
At the very least go to one of the many lookout points, such as Eduardo VII Park, wander around and have a nice meal & coffee if going downtown is too much for your spouse.

Thought going downtown to wonder some shops, stroll the streets, eat some pasteis de nata, sample some Iberico meats or maybe an octopus dish (all things I do when in Lisbon) is more appealing to me the calmness of going to a park, having a bite, coffee or a nice wine isn't bad either.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MellieAZ
Thanks for the reply. We (and our luggage) have to be off the cruise ship by 9am. We considered storing the luggage (3 pieces) near the dock and doing more sightseeing but the logistics started getting too complicated.

I like the idea of checking the luggage and then using the metro but DH doesn't like taking chances - we've had close calls before with strikes/accidents on public transportation. I may talk him into it once we're at the airport. Thanks!
The cruise ship port is a very easy walk to the Santa Apolnia train station, which is one of the main railway terminals in central Lisbon. I would use one of the luggage lockers there when you first dock, enjoy a few hours in the center, and then take the metro (or an Uber if you don't want to brave public transport with luggage in a foreign city) from Santa Apolnia to the airport when you are ready. As others have observed the Lisbon metro is very user friendly, although be aware there is one transfer involved between S.A. and LIS. Uber in Lisbon is also very easy and cheap.

NB: While the metro or Uber are easy, give yourself plenty of time to navigate from the airport metro station or Uber drop-off point through luggage check-in to your gate, especially if you want to enjoy any pre-flight lounge time. My recent experiences at LIS have been frustrating; too many people funneling through too small a facility these days.

Last edited by Bear96; Sep 19, 2018 at 6:53 pm
Old Sep 20, 2018, 8:07 am
Original Poster

This is our third time in Lisbon but first disembarking from a cruise so we agree with everyone that it's a great city. In fact we love it so much we'll be back twice in the coming year.

I already looked into checking the luggage at the station and going to the Tile Museum but as i mentioned, DH frets about missing the flight and since we'll be back in Lisbon it's just not worth his anxiety. Fyi, we have 2 checked bags and a rollaboard so using the metro to the airport is a last resort.

BTW, there was a taxi strike on Wed. to protest against Uber. So I can't call his concern unjustified.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Wanted to share the results for any future readers. Palal was correct. We had no difficulty checking luggage 6 hours before the flight. We did have difficulty finding the baggage drop area (thetheyn being redirected to a separate collection for US going flights.

Getting thru security/x-ray took some time. The airport has a great system allowing 3 stations for you to put your items in nine for each machine but the metal detector was so sensitive about 70% of the people needed additional scanning.

We spent the next few hours in a lounge then headed out when the gate was assigned. Passport control was relatively swift. BUT the line at the gate was verry long because that was where the additional questions ( who packed the bags, have they been in your control, etc.) were finally asked. They also asked details about how long we'd been in Lisbon, etc. With only 2 agents handling the entire line, it took close to an hour. The the plane was delayed for "operational reasons.".

We didn't need all the extra time but I'm glad we had it because we could be calm about all the waiting/delays.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.