Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > TAP Air Portugal | Miles&Go
Reload this Page >

TAP as Swiss codeshare - OPO to GVA - perpetually late ?

TAP as Swiss codeshare - OPO to GVA - perpetually late ?

Old Jul 4, 18, 12:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: QR Gold, TK*G, A3*G
Smile TAP as Swiss codeshare - OPO to GVA - perpetually late ?

Hey guys sorry I have been just a sleeping lurker

I booked on SWISS a double connection running from OPO to GVA on a LX codeshare operated by TAP 942 , onwards to ZRH and then SIN.
The timings were great otherwise - leaving OPO at 4.15pm on Saturday , arriving GVA 7.20pm and the connecting flight from GVA leaving at 8.50pm.
That leaves me about 1.5 hrs in GVA which would be otherwise pretty comfortable for a medium-sized airport.

Somehow I just decided to track and monitor the performance stats for TAP 942 , and noticed the flight has been perpetually late or even cancelled in May/June ( On-time performance rating of 0.4 out of 5 ??) There is no other connection to Asia from GVA if I misconnect that evening so I would certainly be stuck in GVA if TAP misconnects.

I wonder if any of you guys have had experience with the OPO-GVA flight ? Grateful for your input !
Old Jul 4, 18, 4:41 pm

I am not sure what information you're looking for but I take this flight fairly often and can confirm that it is almost always late.
Old Jul 5, 18, 6:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mmff View Post
I am not sure what information you're looking for but I take this flight fairly often and can confirm that it is almost always late.
Thanks mmff - that is exactly the confirmation which I had wanted
Old Jul 6, 18, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton IHG LH BA TK
Originally Posted by jeffrysky View Post
Thanks mmff - that is exactly the confirmation which I had wanted
Flightradar show the flight arrived late-late (51 minutes delay) just once in the last seven days, though it had a delay of 15/20 minutes on two other occasions. It arrived early twice: yay!

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/tp942

The long delay(04 July) wasn't due to the (usual) cumulative impact of a day's flying: the aircraft had arrived in Porto early on its preceding flight from London. Then after arriving 51 minutes late in GVA, it built up to a 90 minute delay in its return departure to Porto.
Old Jul 9, 18, 7:09 am

Programs: A3*G, EY Silver
There may be an OPO-ZRH non-stop leaving around the same time. If you see that the inbound is late, try to switch to that one.
Old Jul 9, 18, 9:54 am

Programs: BD the last decent FFP
yes, LX2079 (departs between 2.20pm and 3.15pm depending on the weekday).
and yes TP is always late
Old Jul 9, 18, 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton IHG LH BA TK
Originally Posted by GBM.flights View Post
...TP is always late
That's an unfair and uncharitable meme that got attached to TAP. Lord knows how

In fact I distinctly remember one of their flights arriving on time only a few years' back .....
GBM.flights likes this.
Old Jul 10, 18, 5:58 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by IAN-UK View Post
That's an unfair and uncharitable meme that got attached to TAP. Lord knows how

In fact I distinctly remember one of their flights arriving on time only a few years' back .....
I've involuntarily made Ä3,200 so far this year out of TAP being regularly late.
Joking aside, I now gladly accept the dead pan Lufthansa service in return for a punctual arrival time. Those that know me would acknowledge what a step that is for me.
Old Jul 10, 18, 10:14 am
Original Poster

yes, LX2079 (departs between 2.20pm and 3.15pm depending on the weekday).
and yes TP is always late
Thanks guys for chipping in . yeah LX2079 was probably the safer option in retrospect although it would leave me with a longer transit in GVA. I went thru pains to get myself changed back to LX 2079

well to be fair to TAP, TP942 has been on time this week between OPO-GVA.. I just donít wanna play Russian roulette with TAP by being stranded in GVA overnight since it gets into GVA rather late with no other possible options to Asia in case of a delay.

Old Jul 10, 18, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Palal View Post
There may be an OPO-ZRH non-stop leaving around the same time. If you see that the inbound is late, try to switch to that one.
thanks Palal - the OPO-ZRH on TAP leaves much earlier than the OPO-GVA sector .. at about 1pm vs 4.15pm for the GVA flight
Old Jul 10, 18, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK View Post
I'm pretty sure it was exactly 24h late
well to be fair to TAP, TP942 has been on time this week between OPO-GVA.. I just donít wanna play Russian roulette with TAP by being stranded in GVA overnight since it gets into GVA rather late with no other possible options to Asia in case of a delay.
according to gva.ch website it's 1h late today. So yes, Russian roulette.
Looking at flight radar for the last week (checking each individual day), the flights seem to have sufficient padding (in between flights) for the operation to run on time. But TP seems unable to do so.

Curiously enough I missed a connection last week in ZRH as LX was late and TP on time (ZRH-OPO). oh well...
Old Jul 10, 18, 12:52 pm

I just donít wanna play Russian roulette with TAP by being stranded in GVA overnight since it gets into GVA rather late with no other possible options to Asia in case of a delay.
Just to clarify, do you have all these in one single ticket? Otherwise, the potential misconnection would be not only annoying but also expensive.
Old Jul 10, 18, 4:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mmff View Post
Just to clarify, do you have all these in one single ticket? Otherwise, the potential misconnection would be not only annoying but also expensive.
yup mmff LX offered 2 connections in the afternoon for OPO-GVA-ZRH-SIN , one on LX all the way in the early afternoon and one with the TP codeshare in the late afternoon. Wouldnít dare to ticket such a connection on separate tickets
Old Jul 10, 18, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

I'm pretty sure it was exactly 24h late

according to gva.ch website it's 1h late today. So yes, Russian roulette.
Looking at flight radar for the last week (checking each individual day), the flights seem to have sufficient padding (in between flights) for the operation to run on time. But TP seems unable to do so.

Curiously enough I missed a connection last week in ZRH as LX was late and TP on time (ZRH-OPO). oh well...
Oh no! Yeah it will be ironical if LX is the one screwing me up in the end and re-routing on TAP 😂
Old Jul 13, 18, 4:45 am

All back to normal.
My SN flight into LIS was 1h20 late (I had a 1h connection to a TP flight to OPO). My flight was late 1h30 in the end, so made the connection with no issues

Search this Thread