TAP airlines upgrades

Old Jun 18, 18, 8:15 pm
Original Poster

TAP airlines upgrades

Really when we call each person gives us different information.
they r only Airline that flies direct Miami to lisbon. We r flying on points.
What is the chance of bidding successfully for an upgrade. I am in a wheelchair. I have heard some unpleasant things about. TAP. How if any means to avoid them.
would appreciate advice.
Where is centurion lounge in relation to TAP IN Miami.
thank u in advance.
Old Jun 19, 18, 4:44 am

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by Boca View Post
Really when we call each person gives us different information.
they r only Airline that flies direct Miami to lisbon. We r flying on points.
What is the chance of bidding successfully for an upgrade. I am in a wheelchair. I have heard some unpleasant things about. TAP. How if any means to avoid them.
would appreciate advice.
Where is centurion lounge in relation to TAP IN Miami.
thank u in advance.
Boca, welcome to Flyertalk.

Your message is a bit hard to read, but I see three questions there.

"What is the chance of bidding successfully for an upgrade" It all depends on how much you bid. If your bid is high you have a very good chance.

"How if any means to avoid them". Take Another Plane. Of course, that would mean a connection, because as you say TAP is the only airline that flies nonstop between MIA and LIS. Another option is to take a transatlantic cruise. In the right season, there are many cruises between Miami and Lisbon, and if you have the time it could be a very comfortable experience for someone in a wheelchair.

"Where is centurion lounge in relation to TAP IN Miami" Quite far, actually. Centurion Lounge is by D12, TAP usually flies out of F concourse, so it is quite a hike (or a long ride, by wheelchair)
Old Jun 19, 18, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Re Lisbon tap and wheelchair

Thank you for your prompt answer. Actually we are repositioning from Rome to Fort Lauderdale.

About bidding do u think it best to do online or at the airport?

We will only go to lounge if plane delayed many hours. Do you know if any lounges closer to tap?

Thank you again for your information.
EVELYN
Old Jun 21, 18, 8:32 am

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, HH Silver
If you are going Rome to Fort Lauderdale (or the other way around) I would strongly suggest you fly Norwegian. They have a direct flight, and their premium cabin, while not a full business class service, is quite comfortable and would easily accommodate someone in a wheelchair. With TAP, even if you get business class, the segment between Rome and Lisbon would be in Eurobusiness, which really does not give you any more room than coach and would be a miserable two hours. Do yourself a favor and fly direct on Norwegian premium cabin.
Old Jun 21, 18, 10:26 am
Original Poster

Tap to rome via lisbon

Departing reposition in Rome to fll. TAP allows 5 day layover in Lisbon. We are using economy miles. Paid 50 dollar upgrade for extra legroom sesrs. Looked at chart. Do not look so extra room to us. I heard you can upgrade for 5,000 pts to business vlass. I could transfer points into Tap.
is this true? There is also an online bidding section. Does anyone have concept. Of how many DO I NEED TO GET THE BEST SESTS ON TAP? ARE THERE ANY LIE FLAT SEATS AT ALL? Our departure is October 13.

Thanks for any and all help.

​​​​​​
Old Jun 24, 18, 7:51 pm

Yes there are lie flat seats. Don't know where you heard you can get them for 5,000 points, but I would love to know how to do that. As far as the bidding goes, anywhere from $500-$1000 (cash, not points) should get you that business seat, unless the business cabin is sold out that day.
Old Jun 25, 18, 3:33 am
Original Poster

Thank you 're bidding information

I was most definitely mistaken about bidding with points. I would love to do it too.
Do you know if it is best to bid online or at airport? If too many people know about bidding online, it may be sold out when we get to gate. I would go as high as 1000 but of course 500 or 700 is prrferable.
IMPORTANT question: is the bidding by reservation number of by seat? We are two seniors.. And hope to do this successfully.
thank
Old Jun 25, 18, 7:21 am

Bidding is per passenger. You'd do better to bid in advance because if the bid is approved before gate time then you get the business baggage allowance, bags tagged priority, access to the business check-in desk, access to lounge, etc.

Last edited by CaptainMiles; Jun 25, 18 at 7:21 pm
Old Jun 29, 18, 7:54 pm

Programs: UA, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Definitely bid online and hope it gets accepted. Unless you get on the new A330-NEO TP's Y product is not great. The one upside is that seating is 2x4x2 so if you get the side seats you only have one person next to you which makes getting in and out of seating easier, particularly if you have limited mobility. The entertainment system is older too so it'd be wise to pack a good book, magazine and if possible load some content on a tablet or your phone to keep yourself amused. The seats are older and were built with more padding but that has been compressed over time. I still found it more comfortable than LH Y on the 747-8i. Service is fine. Nothing amazing but also nothing bad. for a longer flight I'd suggest having a snack or two in your bag as service is at a slower pace than other airlines.

TP uses the Club America Lounge, don't get excited about that as it's not anything fancy and can get crowded. It is a Priority Pass lounge so if you have a membership it'd be "free". If you're traveling with someone & paying for entry take the money and go to a restaurant or bar in the airport instead or go to the Centurion Lounge and allow plenty of time to get to the gate. Not sure if the assist programs help get people from lounges to gates but it's worth inquiring about.
Old Jun 30, 18, 12:07 am
Original Poster

Tap amenities and sesting

Do not think newer2_, planes fly out of Miami. So older configuration 2,4,2. No flat bed in thexem. We are in front row with leg room . Do no know if executive would be big improvement. Thank u for your help.

Search this Thread