Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > TAP Air Portugal | Miles&Go
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Gold Benefits - TAP Portugal

Star Alliance Gold Benefits - TAP Portugal

Old Nov 3, 2018, 3:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by iahphx

It is always my strategy to avoid counter visits on any airline with draconian weight limits. Is TAP's online check-in reliable such that I'll be able to check-in online? I never know with foreign carriers. Like earlier this year, I was flying JAL from the USA and got my boarding pass online. I get to the airport and the TSA tells me these are "phony" boarding passes, and I have to go the counter to get a "real" one. Glad I had extra time, and elite status.

I know no one is going to weigh my bag at a USA gate. But what's the situation in Lisbon? Do they have scales at the gates? If not, I should be golden with my 10kg carry-on.
There's no problem at the gate, unless you are manifestly over-burdened and significantly outside the limit.

the "check-in acknowledgement" rather than the issue of a boarding card seems to be becoming more common. I understand it's a question of a mismatch between airport systems and those of the airline, and the need to do visa (and other) checks before the passenger goes airside,
Old Nov 5, 2018, 12:02 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Thanks. So I can choose my own seats 3 hours before departure? Can I do that online or only at the airport?
Yes. Online, using the app or at the airport (kiosk or counter)
Old Nov 17, 2018, 11:09 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
As a separate data point, at LIS they were not weighing hand luggage, but at LHR they were being very strict about it.
This is the norm at LHR on all *A flights from T2, the ground handling is contracted and they tend to weigh almost all economy hand luggage and especially rollers. In business/first they leave you alone though.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 9:49 am

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT 2MM, DL Lifetime GM 2MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, HH Diamond, IHG Amb Diamond
Here's the PDF with the text that JFSV quoted earlier: Baggage and Service Fees
Old Nov 21, 2018, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
I just want to bring normal USA-like carry-on baggage with me. That seems fine -- except they have an 8 kg weight limit. I can travel the world with a normal carry-on and a personal item, but 8 kg (if it's enforced) is a major PITA.
Having been only a few times in the US and seen the size and number of what US travellers seems to want to carry on-board, I much prefer the approach in many non-US countries where carry-on is limited to 8kg-10kg and anything over this is checked. This seems to make boarding and deplaning a much more pleasant experience.
Old May 16, 2019, 11:24 pm

Has anyone with *A Gold status flown on a TAP Discount ticket lately and was able to check in one bag?

In a rush to secure the flights I wanted, I booked my (first ever) TAP flights (LGW -> OPO, then LIS ->LHR) last night without realizing it's the "Discount" one. Now I have 0 baggage allowance. I'm a Krisflyer PPS member so hoping I can check in my one suitcase.
Old May 16, 2019, 11:47 pm

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Originally Posted by GoofyG28
Has anyone with *A Gold status flown on a TAP Discount ticket lately and was able to check in one bag?

In a rush to secure the flights I wanted, I booked my (first ever) TAP flights (LGW -> OPO, then LIS ->LHR) last night without realizing it's the "Discount" one. Now I have 0 baggage allowance. I'm a Krisflyer PPS member so hoping I can check in my one suitcase.
And to add to the question to recent experience with TAP Discount fares: did anyone use them recently and could book a seat for free?
Old May 17, 2019, 1:42 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Seats are not free for *G. My last experience is November 2018. However you can change the asigned seating online at T-3h and I sat in the front rows or exit rows each time.
Old May 17, 2019, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GoofyG28

If I entered my information correctly, it appears that TAP is playing the "no free checked bag for Star Gold members on deep discount" game." Sigh. As noted up-thread, I just went through this annoyance with another Star Alliance carrier at LHR when I didn't know whether they would hassle me with the weight of my rollerboard. At least I learned that if I use a crummy, lighter-weight rollerboard (think Walmart quality), I can pack 4 or 5 days worth of clothing and still get within 8 kg. I kind of prefer that to travelling with my regular bag and facing the "stress" of being gate-hassled. All this annoyance for a pound or two.

https://book.flytap.com/bagsim/BaggageStart.aspx?_l=en
Old May 19, 2019, 4:35 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
A month ago, I flew them and was able to check a bag as A3*G with no issues. The allowance only appears at check-in, not in "my reservations".
Old May 22, 2019, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by Palal
A month ago, I flew them and was able to check a bag as A3*G with no issues. The allowance only appears at check-in, not in "my reservations".
Interesting... So it's as if there's conflicting info even now (May 2019). TAP's website doesn't explicitly mention *AG can get one free bag on DISCOUNT tickets. However, it also does NOT explicitly say *AG do NOT get a free bag. Same on *A's website (https://www.staralliance.com/en/recognition) -- TAP is not mentioned.

Some airlines do not offer this benefit on individual flights but only on connecting Star Alliance flights. Within Europe on "Light" fares offered by Lufthansa, Austrian & SWISS, "Check&Go" fares offered by Brussels Airlines and “Go light” fares offered by SAS as well as on “Seat” fares offered by Air New Zealand, the extra baggage allowance is not offered.
I decided to contact TAP via Facebook chat. They replied very quickly to say "Yes Star Alliance Gold members can bring 1 hold luggage up to 23kg without any charge." I figured that's enough visual evidence right there if the check-in staff gives me a tough time. "See? You guys told me I get a free bag! Look at my FB messenger!"

But then I decided to reconfirm this by contacting TAP via their website (via my TAP account that I created). It took a few days for them to email me back to tell them to call them (they called but I couldn't answer my phone). I called them back today, only for them to put me on hold (not for too long) and tell me that they do NOT have an answer and that I must call Star Alliance instead! Hahaha

So i'm taking my chances and will just wait. I also made bids to upgrade to business class, so it's a moot point if my bids are accepted. If they are not, I will just try my luck and see what happens when I do online check-in. If I don't see the option of one free bag, will it be too late for me add a bag for 29 euros at that point?

Last edited by GoofyG28; May 22, 2019 at 8:51 am Reason: Typo and addendum
Old May 22, 2019, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for trying GoofyG28. And I thought this alliance thing was supposed to make travel easier and more predictable.

What annoys me is that, for the carry-ons, we're talking a couple of pounds. Honestly, give me 10 kg for my carry-on (or just don't weigh it) and I don't care so much about my checked bag allowance.
Old May 31, 2019, 11:57 pm

Programs: A3 *G
Hi. Does anybody here know if domestic flights operated by Portugalia are treated the same as mainline TP flights in terms of non-TAP *G benefits? I'm A3 Gold and there are many complaints over on "our" forum about Golds from other airlines being denied benefits because Aegean have many flights "operated by Olympic" (but still flown with Aegean metal). The TAP and Portugalia flights I'm looking at have 'main-line' flight numbers in a similar sequence so I'm guessing the situation is similar to that with SAS where their regional jet services are treated the same as main-line. I'm specifically interested in lounge access at LIS, OPO and/or MAD. I know from the discussions above that the free checked bag issue is "undecided", but, whichever way that goes, are Portugalia flights treated the same as main-line in this respect too?

So, in short, is Portugalia a fully integrated part of TAP in terms of benefits.

Thanks.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 12:02 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Same as main line.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Knobbgb
Hi. Does anybody here know if domestic flights operated by Portugalia are treated the same as mainline TP flights in terms of non-TAP *G benefits? I'm A3 Gold and there are many complaints over on "our" forum about Golds from other airlines being denied benefits because Aegean have many flights "operated by Olympic" (but still flown with Aegean metal). The TAP and Portugalia flights I'm looking at have 'main-line' flight numbers in a similar sequence so I'm guessing the situation is similar to that with SAS where their regional jet services are treated the same as main-line. I'm specifically interested in lounge access at LIS, OPO and/or MAD. I know from the discussions above that the free checked bag issue is "undecided", but, whichever way that goes, are Portugalia flights treated the same as main-line in this respect too?

So, in short, is Portugalia a fully integrated part of TAP in terms of benefits.

Thanks.
It's absolutely the same. To all effects, Portugalia is TAP.

I got a clue to the confusion about *G and bags on TAP. Just a clue

A helpful third-party ground agent at an airport with no TAP presence (beyond aircraft and crew!), told me it's near impossible to process payments without going through Lisbon and so everything is let go. He'd offered to check my bag even though i was on an HBO fare. I didn't take it up, but asked how come I'd been given the offer.

He also said the service specifications have been cut - number of desks open, time of opening etc

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.