Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > TAP Air Portugal | Miles&Go
Reload this Page >

How do I get someone at TP to deal with my EU261??

How do I get someone at TP to deal with my EU261??

Old Feb 22, 18, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Question How do I get someone at TP to deal with my EU261??

I had a flight canceled way back in November, that they never informed me about. I've been trying to get EU 261 since then, sent a complaint through the website, didn't hear anything. I called in January, I was told it was being handled by their "Swiss office," because I'm based in Switzerland. Been another month since then, so I've started trying to call again. I always get tossed around just trying to find the complaints department, today I've tried calling and have been disconnected 3 times. Agents tell me to press 4 in the menu, but 4 says its for internet support and still sends me to the booking department. This is getting ridiculous, is there any other way I can talk to someone, or a direct line to the complaints department?

Otherwise I'm going to submit a 261 form to the Swiss authorities.
Old Feb 23, 18, 11:20 am
formerly southsidesilver

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, HH Diamond
I just posted about them and I see your having a similar problem. Mine is for a refund on a ticket and I have been waiting for 2 months. I just can't get a hold of anyone willing to help.
Old Feb 23, 18, 2:18 pm

Programs: A3*G, EY Silver
If you're based in CH, contact the Swiss regulator. You can also contact the Portuguese regulator ANAC, but I find that ANAC is less helpful.

Also consider using these guys https://www.aviationadr.org.uk
dinoscool3 likes this.
Old Feb 23, 18, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Palal View Post
If you're based in CH, contact the Swiss regulator. You can also contact the Portuguese regulator ANAC, but I find that ANAC is less helpful.

Also consider using these guys https://www.aviationadr.org.uk

I finally got through the someone. She said she’d request the file from their Swiss office, and handle it herself within a week. If that doesn’t happen, I’ll escalate to either the regulator, or go through Avaiatonadr.

Originally Posted by When I Travel The World View Post
I just posted about them and I see your having a similar problem. Mine is for a refund on a ticket and I have been waiting for 2 months. I just can't get a hold of anyone willing to help.
I supposedly got an email for the billing folks. I was told they handle refunds. If you want it, PM me.
Old Feb 27, 18, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Just got a reply from TP.
Dear Mr. dinoscool3,

This is to acknowledge receipt of you complaint lodged on our Website from the above-mentioned date. Please accept our unreserved apologies not only for the absence of communication pertaining to your schedule change, but also for the inordinate amount of time it has taken to process your claim.

We have gathered all information relevant to your booking. It documents that the change to your return journey from Casablanca to Milan via Lisbon on the 20th to the 19th of November 2017 was done on the 4
th
of October 20 - more than six (6) weeks before your slated date of departure. Article V of EU Regulation EC261/2004 clearly states that compensation is due only then if the changes and/or cancellation occurs within a 14-day (2 weeks) time frame to the date of passengers’ departure for the flight segment involved. Beyond the two week period, the passengers right to indemnification consists solely of either being re-protected on the earliest available flight at no extra cost or refund of the fare paid. We sincerely regret if there has been a lapse of information with regards to these changes. We have called the attention of the department concerned to ensure such oversight is not repeated.

Furthermore, as per your statement and as noted in the booking history, a later continuing flight from Lisbon was chosen. TP814 departing at 1950 hrs. was the preferred over TP804 which would have gotten you into Milan Malpensa at 1815 hrs. instead of the chosen flight which was arriving at 2330 hrs. In this scenario therefore, no compensation can be granted as the choice to arrive at a later time was voluntary and not imposed by the airline upon the passenger.

In closing, we hope to have addressed your questions concerning schedule changes and look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you again in one of our flights.

Thank you for your kind understanding and patience on this matter.
I’m really unimpressed

First off, the EU regulations say the airline has to inform of a cancelation, which they never did, I found out myself 7 days before departure!

Secondly, TP 804 was my original flight! I couldn’t make it because my CMN flight was canceled!

I’m going to file with Aviation ADR. This is ridiculous TP.

Old Mar 1, 18, 5:32 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
I have 2 EU261 claims against TP. They are both over 2 months old and TAP continue to ignore further mails via the web form and feed me BS when I call. I will complain to the Portuguese regulator and put my lawyer on them. They have always been slack but I now believe this is deliberate stalling.
Old Mar 1, 18, 11:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tafflyer View Post
I have 2 EU261 claims against TP. They are both over 2 months old and TAP continue to ignore further mails via the web form and feed me BS when I call. I will complain to the Portuguese regulator and put my lawyer on them. They have always been slack but I now believe this is deliberate stalling.
Yes. I waited 3 almost 4 months to get a no, which anyone who has an understanding of EU261 would be a yes. TP stalls, and when it can’t stall anymore it gives you BS.

It is too bad because the flights weren’t half bad, and I liked the LIS lounge, but from now on I’m avoiding TP.
Old Mar 2, 18, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton IHG LH BA TK

Have you tried ANAC? Its response is at best patchy but it's probably better to involve them rather than hammer away at the closed door of TP. If you ever get through that door you're likely only to find a firewall of oddly constructed apologies and excuses.

I'd go straight to one of the claim handling organisations: give up a slice of your compensation, but let them take the strain.
Old Mar 29, 18, 11:35 am
Original Poster

TP refused to work with Aviation ADR because I didn't fly through UK. What's my next step? Small claims court? Use one of the groups who take 25% of the compensation? I'm not giving up on this, TP has really pissed me off.
Old Mar 30, 18, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton IHG LH BA TK
the 25% folk. They know what theyr'e doing.
Old Apr 11, 18, 5:45 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
I contacted TP on twitter and of course got ignored. Then later I got one of those public tweets of theirs about the latest offer. I tweeted back publicly which prompted a DM response that they would raise my cases with customer services. Lo and behold, today I received 2 mails asking if I would prefer €400 cash or €500 travel voucher for each claim. TP are getting a lot of bad publicity in Portugal and public attention seems to wake them up.
Old Apr 12, 18, 12:42 am
Original Poster

I contacted TP on twitter and of course got ignored. Then later I got one of those public tweets of theirs about the latest offer. I tweeted back publicly which prompted a DM response that they would raise my cases with customer services. Lo and behold, today I received 2 mails asking if I would prefer €400 cash or €500 travel voucher for each claim. TP are getting a lot of bad publicity in Portugal and public attention seems to wake them up.
Should have thought of that. I signed up with Flightright, they sent a payment request to TP, and nothing sense then.
Old Apr 13, 18, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by dinoscool3 View Post

Should have thought of that. I signed up with Flightright, they sent a payment request to TP, and nothing sense then.
It is TAP policy to ignore claims as long as they can. This was confirmed by CS staff at LIS who are frustrated at the monumental decline in service they are empowered to offer. I was told of debt collectors appearing at TP HQ after even court judgements were ignored.

I was caught up in disruption again this week FRA-LIS and I was told that it was due to the ground handling strike in Germany, which might have been an excuse if the strike hadn‘t ended before the TP aircraft even left LIS. At LIS the new policy of TAP was to tell all stranded passengers to wait until 00:30 for a hotel at which time they had an organised bus to a cheap hotel 25km away and a fixed time bus return of 6:30am next morning regardless of when your onward rescheduled flight departed. Needless to say, I did not join that party.

Search this Thread