FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TAP Air Portugal | Miles&Go (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/tap-air-portugal-miles-go-767/)
-   -   TAP automatic seat assignment (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/tap-air-portugal-miles-go/1889453-tap-automatic-seat-assignment.html)

Laura_83 Jan 20, 2018 6:03 am

TAP automatic seat assignment

***** I have noticed I post this question in the wrong place. How can I change it?? ****

Good day, all.

I booked a return flight through a booking partner with TAP airlines.
When the time of the online check-in came, I had a seat automatically assigned and, if I wanted to change it, I had to pay about 30 or 60 EUR (like with Ryanair but... we are not talking about a low-cost airline!).
Luckily I was assigned to an aisle one, so I was "happy" to have that seat.

My question is: in case on my return flight I'll be assigned to a seat I don't like (middle or window), can I change it at the check-in point FREE of charge or I do still have to pay?

Normally, nowadays, if you want to reserve a specific seat before check-in time you have to pay, but it will be free during that time. However with TAP I faced a totally different scenario.

Thanks for your help!

Palal Jan 20, 2018 10:47 am

TAP's seats open up at T-3 hours, so feel free to change your seat then.
TP is becoming an LCC, with non-free bags and non-free extras.
Their "food" is still free.

Laura_83 Jan 20, 2018 5:11 pm

Thanks for your swift reply Palal :-)

Seriously?? Also for Intercontinental flights?! :eek:

Palal Jan 21, 2018 7:26 am

Originally Posted by Laura_83 (Post 29318342)
Thanks for your swift reply Palal :-)

Seriously?? Also for Intercontinental flights?! :eek:

Yes.

Tafflyer Jan 22, 2018 12:05 pm

The stupid thing about this is that regardless of which seat you select at OLCI they will try and charge you. Change from 22C to 22D and they’ll try and charge you. Once you have selected a seat and they try and charge you, you can no longer issue a BP for your flight until you pay, even if you reselect the seat they originally assigned you.

As previously stated, select the seat you want, break off the check-in without paying and at T-3 you can print your BP without paying. The process totally lacks common sense. Or, if there is a logic to it, I fail to understand it.

der_saeufer Jan 23, 2018 1:54 am

Originally Posted by Tafflyer (Post 29325253)
The stupid thing about this is that regardless of which seat you select at OLCI they will try and charge you. Change from 22C to 22D and they’ll try and charge you. Once you have selected a seat and they try and charge you, you can no longer issue a BP for your flight until you pay, even if you reselect the seat they originally assigned you.

As previously stated, select the seat you want, break off the check-in without paying and at T-3 you can print your BP without paying. The process totally lacks common sense. Or, if there is a logic to it, I fail to understand it.

I've been able to back out of the seat selection and get a BP with my original seat, but maybe I just got lucky. I like your method better.

The part that seems particularly insane to me is that on my last two TAP flights, I was automatically assigned "premium" seats--once an exit row--despite being on the cheapest of cheap tickets. It was willing to give me a €20+ seat for free, but wanted €12 to give me a worse seat. I even got IRROP'd overnight and the airport counter staff were able to put me on an entirely different flight home than the one I'd been automatically given, but couldn't give me a different seat.

At least the food is edible if not all that great. Definitely beats SN who charge for water on short-haul flights.

Tafflyer Jan 23, 2018 3:26 am

Originally Posted by der_saeufer (Post 29327790)
At least the food is edible if not all that great. Definitely beats SN who charge for water on short-haul flights.

Not for long, I fear. The dehumanisation of air transport will continue until the regulators get involved.

Laura_83 Jan 27, 2018 2:48 pm

Not to mention the very old aircraft used to fly from Lisbon to Rio de Janeiro on the 31st of December. Was quite a mmh..'vintage' one, with the phones, swiping card, mini tv without the possibility to even stop the only movie shown. It reminded me the first long haul flight I took in the beginning of the 90s. Sweet flashback.
However my return flight was normal (and the food delicious in both).

So, I assume, see you soon TAP! :rolleyes: ;)

FFlash Oct 1, 2018 12:26 am

Do I understand correct by searching and reading here that there is no free seat selection beforehand on TAP flights intra-EU with my basic discount economy ticket? SK Diamond member here, that is.

Only by paying I can choose my seat?

And then at OLCI I am auto-allocated a seat which I may change but I am charged again but I can skip that by exiting without paying and doing OLCI again at T-3 for printing out BP?

If yes on all, I really regret that I bought that ticket :)

Palal Oct 1, 2018 11:41 am

Originally Posted by FFlash (Post 30265330)
Do I understand correct by searching and reading here that there is no free seat selection beforehand on TAP flights intra-EU with my basic discount economy ticket? SK Diamond member here, that is.

Seat selection is not a *A benefit unfortunately.

Only by paying I can choose my seat?
Correct. This means that most people don't choose seats until check-in, so there shouldn't be an issue.

And then at OLCI I am auto-allocated a seat which I may change but I am charged again but I can skip that by exiting without paying and doing OLCI again at T-3 for printing out BP?
You can start the check-in process at T-36 and then exit out of it when it asks for your credit card. Then, come back at T-3 and finish the process.

FFlash Oct 9, 2018 2:34 pm

worked like charm, thanks again FT!

trust0me Oct 11, 2018 6:40 pm

First time TAP here too and it's funny system they have .
They say I can do the online check-in 36H before departure time but it didn't let me but only 24H before.
and same situation with the seat assignment. It automatically assigned me and my flying companion middle seats but when I changed them to side two seats together (same row as auto assigned seats) it asked me to pay for $100. I will try again 3H before departure and see how it goes.

mmff Oct 12, 2018 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by trust0me (Post 30305612)
I will try again 3H before departure and see how it goes.

How did it go?

Palal Oct 16, 2018 5:57 am

Originally Posted by trust0me (Post 30305612)
First time TAP here too and it's funny system they have .
They say I can do the online check-in 36H before departure time but it didn't let me but only 24H before.
and same situation with the seat assignment. It automatically assigned me and my flying companion middle seats but when I changed them to side two seats together (same row as auto assigned seats) it asked me to pay for $100. I will try again 3H before departure and see how it goes.

From the US, check-in opens at T-24.

FFlash Oct 22, 2018 6:16 am

Originally Posted by FFlash (Post 30297003)
worked like charm, thanks again FT!

Have they revamped the T3 seat allocation for free or what?
Last time, I could not print my boarding pass witihn T3hrs but instead the OLCI requested me payment all the time! Okay at one point it let me through so got the Bpass online but then,when changing seat I wanted to change back to exit door A seat and again it asked for payment and to checkinat airport, I got worried butentered security with mobile BP. At gate I asked if everything is ok and, they said wait we might need to upgrade you as *gold. Then on boarding , red beep and a new boarding passbut no business class but instead bumped out from exitrow to 14F :(

So have they fixed that checkin feature or policing now exitrow fees?