Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TAP automatic seat assignment

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2020, 1:14 am

Programs: TK Elite+, FB Platinum, BAEC Gold, ALL Diamond, IHG Diamond Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by tracks1000
I flew EWR - LIS on Oct 24th and it seems that their system has changed. The system automatically assigned my partner and I the two middle seats in a row of 4 on the A330. When we were checking in at T-3 I asked the check-in agent if she could move us to a two-seater aisle/window (there were plenty available) but she said that the system wouldn't let her do it without asking for payment. I told not to worry about it, as I could change the seats myself at T-2 (as I've done before), but she told me that that wouldn't work either anymore, and that the only way to change our seats would be to approach the gate agent at exactly T-1 to have the seats changed there. She was right - the app wouldn't let me change our seats at all without paying during the T-2 - T-1 window, however the gate agent did change them at T-1. Not sure if this situation was specific to this flight, or if it's system-wide.
I wonder if you could do it yourself ? Although that would mean canceling checkout. So probably not?
Old Dec 29, 2020, 1:09 pm

As it seems that the gate agent's ability to switch seats only kicks in at T-1 (presumably as soon as check-in closes), it doesn't seem possible to un-check in and attempt to select seats.

Flying BCN-LIS-EWR earlier this month I decided to try not checking in online, but instead waiting until we got to the airport, hoping that the agent would be able to allocate seats when checking us in. Unfortunately the system had once again allocated us the two middle seats in the center section (seats D and F) of the A330 with the agent unable to change them. This time I couldn't even access the seat map through the TAP app, so I couldn't figure out how many/which seats were still unallocated. At LIS I approached one gate agent and asked them if they could possibly allocate us seats together on the side. The very helpful agent indicated that the flight had 150 free seats and offered to block off a full row for us. Going forward, I think I'll check-in online and pay for a seat if the flight looks reasonably full. If not, I'll just approach the gate agent and ask to be switched. There's really no other option for flying Barcelona-USA right now, as every other airline is at least twice as expensive as TAP.
Old Jun 3, 2021, 1:16 am

Booked a TAP flight via an OTA. When I first viewed the booking on flytap.com, I was still able to add seat reservations. Now a few days later, this option has disappeared. I assume that they manually removed this option because I did not book directly with them?

And now in this thread I read that you can not even choose seats at online check-in, is that correct? Is it still possible to call them and buy (Economy Extra) seats via telephone? I do have the option of buying seats at the OTA, but for more than twice the price that was shown at the beginning on the flytap.com page, so that is not going to happen.

Honestly this is worse than the experience with ULCCs even.
Old Jun 3, 2021, 3:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Even for OTA tickets you should be able to buy seats on flytap.com. This is at least the situation for my OTA reservation in 2 days. However, for hold luggage the option to add (and pay for luggage) has disappeared (but will most likely be available during OLCI at a higher price).

There is no reason to buy seats now; in particular not at inflated prices from the OTA. You ask at the gate or check-in counters.
Old Jun 3, 2021, 5:50 am

Well that is weird, the option is now suddenly back.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 12:15 am

Aircraft change a few days ago (A321NEO to A320NEO) and since that the option to buy extras (seats etc) has disappeared again
Old Jun 21, 2021, 6:28 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by ArnoldB
Aircraft change a few days ago (A321NEO to A320NEO) and since that the option to buy extras (seats etc) has disappeared again
Same. A321LR switched to A339 for next week and the option is there but it errors out. And I'm stuck in a middle J couples seat!

EDIT: Actually today (21 June), the option re-appeared and I was able to switch to a solo window. Flight date is 29 June.

Last edited by seanp7; Jun 21, 2021 at 6:35 am
Old Jun 21, 2021, 9:45 am

Yeah now it also reappeared to me. Seems to be some system thing where it always locks the option for some time after aircraft changes
Old Jun 23, 2021, 10:44 am

Did they increase the prices for Economy+? Now its suddenly 28€ per seat, was 20€ just days ago
Old Jun 23, 2021, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by ArnoldB
Did they increase the prices for Economy+? Now its suddenly 28€ per seat, was 20€ just days ago
I noticed the price jumped from $76 to $84 for SFO-LIS. Does their website let you pay for the seats? I've been trying for days to buy Economy+ seats for this flight. It allows me to select the seats, but there's no option to pay for them and it doesn't save the selection.
Old Jul 10, 2021, 9:29 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Redeeming UA miles for TAP flights in coach from Europe to USA, advance seat selection was available via UA for the long-haul flight but not for the short-haul flight. I wondered whether the selected seats would be changed to random assignment, but they were not. FWIW the flights were about half full.
Old Sep 30, 2021, 4:50 pm

Just flew from Berlin to Lisbon and the seatmap opened up T-1 ! Checkin was not able to change, I then changed later myself and used the mobile boarding pass.
Old Apr 11, 2022, 12:46 pm

Still works at T-1 in my experience (I usually check in without changing the seats at T-36, issue the BP, then pick the desired seats and wait until T-1, change them around again and it's for free) but at least for intra-EU you need to finalize the changes before T-0:45. Forgot to change my last flight in time and we were charged €30/pp at the gate at BER.
Old Apr 11, 2022, 1:31 pm

Programs: SEN**, Ex TK Elite+, Ex IB Sapphire, Hyatt Gold, Bonvoy, Meliá Platinum
Originally Posted by taway
Still works at T-1 in my experience (I usually check in without changing the seats at T-36, issue the BP, then pick the desired seats and wait until T-1, change them around again and it's for free) but at least for intra-EU you need to finalize the changes before T-0:45. Forgot to change my last flight in time and we were charged €30/pp at the gate at BER.
I hate it when TAP does that. I got an email 24 hrs before the flight that the check-in was open and I ignored them But 20h before the flight I got checked in by TAP again
Total crap can't change the seat even H-59.
Why on Earth they do this?
Old Apr 11, 2022, 7:36 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, AAPlatinum
Worked for me 3x over the last few weeks, starting at 1h 4 mins (1h 5 still shows charge to change). Thanks so much for the tips. Curiously it booted us to boarding group C every time (even when we were in group B at check in) but happy to board last in exchange for economy Xtra recline

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.