TAP automatic seat assignment

Old Oct 31, 2019, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Fortunately I am flying MAD-LIS, LIS-MAD soon so seat selection isn't crucial with a 75 minute flight. Should one just check in at T3 then?
Old Nov 1, 2019, 5:02 pm

Programs: AA plat, Hertz, gold , Bonvoy gold,IHGplat
I am connecting in FRA and continuing of to LIS. I was able to call TAP directly and get the seats I wanted no problem.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 8:16 am

Programs: UA 1MM Premier Gold
I will affirm the 2 hour algorithm as far as all available seats becoming free on the website. At T-3 everything was still costing $ to change.

I was able to move into Economy Xtra on LIS-ORD yesterday and my theory is that not that many people know about the ability to change
for free at T-2. Eco Xtra was not as crowded as regular coach on my flight.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shoeflyer
I will affirm the 2 hour algorithm as far as all available seats becoming free on the website. At T-3 everything was still costing $ to change.

I was able to move into Economy Xtra on LIS-ORD yesterday and my theory is that not that many people know about the ability to change
for free at T-2. Eco Xtra was not as crowded as regular coach on my flight.
Confirmed.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 10:51 am

Programs: QR P; HH D; IHG SpAmb
So, i should be able to take the randomly assigned seat to get a boarding pass and thus to the lounge and there at T-2 change it to a better seat and reprint the BP?
Old Nov 20, 2019, 4:08 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Premier Gold
Originally Posted by a9504477
So, i should be able to take the randomly assigned seat to get a boarding pass and thus to the lounge and there at T-2 change it to a better seat and reprint the BP?
Yes, that is what I did. I was unable to change seats using the app/website, but if you can do it that way, you don't need to stand in a potential line at the lounge.
TAP lounge in Lisbon was able to make the change and print out the BP, but they don't have a dedicated service counter like the United Clubs do. So people
are waiting in line behind you to get into the lounge while you try to explain that you want to change seats.
Old Nov 23, 2019, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had a problem where I changed seats and the app (Amadeus) wouldn't give me a new mobile boarding pass even though it showed me changed. I closed the app and reopened and that didn't work. I gave up and said to the gate agent when I was boarding the plane that my boarding pass would not load and they manually printed me a paper one.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 4:10 pm

So this definitely still works...

You can plant yourself in whatever seat you want at T-36h but not pay for it. At T-2h, you have to move seats and then move back to clear the "unpaid seat", so on a completely full flight you could theoretically get burned.

We almost got burned on a connection. After boarding the first flight, I changed our seats for the connection, but then we got delayed to the extent that we were in the air for the entire one-hour window. The connecting flight was delayed so we made it, but I couldn't change the seats. At boarding, we got an error for unpaid seats. The gate agent at LIS was more interested in closing the flight, so he moved us and moved us back rather than trying to collect the payment.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 12:43 am

i have two separate tickets VIE-LIS (discount fare). When I choose new seats at T-36 and confirm it (there is notice this is irreversible), but i will not proceed the payment, will I be able to collect boarding passes at airport checkin kiosk at T-3 without payment? or I will have to go to checkin desk? Dont they try to force me to pay for seats? Or they will return us to original assigned seats?
Old Dec 6, 2019, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by goroair
i have two separate tickets VIE-LIS (discount fare). When I choose new seats at T-36 and confirm it (there is notice this is irreversible), but i will not proceed the payment, will I be able to collect boarding passes at airport checkin kiosk at T-3 without payment? or I will have to go to checkin desk? Dont they try to force me to pay for seats? Or they will return us to original assigned seats?
You will be able to collect boarding passes at T-2 at a kiosk or on your phone after moving out of and back into your seats (just click another seat, then click back to the seat you wanted). All seats are free at T-2, but you have to move out of your unpaid seat to clear the 'unpaid seat' flag on your reservation. Once you've selected a paid seat, the only way to get a boarding pass is to either pay for the seat or wait until T-2; TP doesn't let you just take your free seat back.

As pointed out above, seats become free at T-2 and online checkin is impossible after T-1, so you have a 60-minute window to fix it. If you miss the window, don't expect TP staff to let you keep that exit row you didn't pay for.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 1:19 pm

Just got back from a trip ORD-LIS-AMS round trip. We switched seats at T-2 into xtra legroom for each segment. We were not in the air and had long layovers so it was easy. Another interesting thing was that I was assigned an xtra legroom seat for LIS-AMS when I checked in 24 hours before the ORD-LIS flight. The problem was it was a middle seat. Their seat assignment algorithm is weird and just plopped me in the middle seat with no one sitting next to me on either side. I called the TAP customer service and with no questions asked the moved me into the window seat next to the middle seat I was assigned. So that might be an option if in a pinch or if you are in the air at T-2.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 2:01 pm

I have an upcoming MUC-LIS-MIA flight with a 90 min layover in LIS, after the 3 hour flight from MUC. Would I be possible to check-in for the LIS-MIA flight at T-5 (when I check-in for the MUC flight) and then after arrival I would have 30 minutes to change my seat for the LIS-MIA flight in the app?

I am not really concerned about "blocking" a seat at an earlier time and then un-selecting/re-selecting at T-2, but more in general if I would have "free choice" of seats between T-2 and T-1, even though I am already checked in?
Old Dec 12, 2019, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by Pota
I have an upcoming MUC-LIS-MIA flight with a 90 min layover in LIS, after the 3 hour flight from MUC. Would I be possible to check-in for the LIS-MIA flight at T-5 (when I check-in for the MUC flight) and then after arrival I would have 30 minutes to change my seat for the LIS-MIA flight in the app?

I am not really concerned about "blocking" a seat at an earlier time and then un-selecting/re-selecting at T-2, but more in general if I would have "free choice" of seats between T-2 and T-1, even though I am already checked in?
Yes you will have that 30 minute window to be able to change your seats even after checking in. We were already checked in and had boarding passes before switching to other seats at T-2.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 12:05 pm

This was my experience flying SFO-LIS + LIS-Spain last weekend.

I did not pre-book or selected any seats before check-in started.

24 hours before the SFO-LIS flight, I was able to check in on the app.

For the first leg SFO-LIS, the system put me on a window in the Economy Xtra section of the plane. That my best-case-scenario seat, so I did not touch that.

For the LIS to Spain flight, the system put me on row 4 by the window. This was again a Premium seat, but since the flight was so short I did not mind to 'play' a little to try the system.
I changed my seat to 1A. The app would not let me finish check in because it said $25 were due. There was no way around this: even by switching back to my original seat on row 4, I was still unable to finish check-in.

Eventually, at the SFO TAP counter, they gave me the boarding pass, showing seat 1A for the second flight. Row 1 is an emergency exit on that flight, so the check-in agent asked me if I was ok with that.
(I wish I had checked if at this time the app would let me get the boarding pass for the second flight, but I forgot to check).

Once in Lisbon, I noticed that the app was now allowing me to access the boarding pass for the second flight. This was approximately 3 hours before the flight departure.
When I tried to board the second flight to Spain in LIS, I handed over the boarding pass I got at SFO. When the agent scanned it, it started beeping. The agent looked at her computer's screen, pressed a few keys, and then handed me back my boarding pass and wished me a safe flight.
I'll never know if my boarding pass was beeping because the seat was 'unpaid', because it was an emergency row (quite likely), or both!
Old Dec 24, 2019, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by Pota

To provide an update on how the seat reservation process worked out. I was not able to use online check-in for either of the flights and was informed by TAP Air that this was due to them needing to check the documents (passport, ESTA) at check-in. However, at MUC airport I was able to use the self-kiosk to check myself in for both flights (I did not have any checked luggage) AND I was able to select a seat for the LIS-MIA flight without any notice or additional costs (this was at T-5 for my LIS-MIA flight). I selected the first-row bulkhead seat in economy extra without issues at the terminal and had both my boarding passes printed. When boarding the flight in LIS I had no issues and was not made aware of any outstanding payments or similar. I also did not hear any unusual "beeping" or similar when having my boarding pass scanned, but due to it being a US-bound flight with additional security at the gate there may have been a notification to agent which was ignored in the interest of a more speedy boarding?

All in all, I do not really understand what happened, but I was quite happy with the result. On my MUC-LIS flight I had an automatically assigned exit row seat with a free seat next to me and it turned out that the seat next to me on the LIS-MIA was also free in the bulkhead, so I actually had a very pleasant flight.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.