Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > TAP Air Portugal | Miles&Go
Reload this Page >

How long does it take to receive compensation on TAP cancelled flight

Old Sep 13, 17, 5:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: TP Gold, *G Star Alliance

Hey guys,

Unfortunately I had my TAP flight cancelled when travelling from TER-LIS on 01/09/2017 and was only able to catch a flight to LIS on the next day.

Accordingly to EU261 regulation I'm entitled to a cash compensation of 400€, and I immediately fulfilled the complaint on TAP website, but 12 days have gone by and I still have not received any compensation or contact from TAP.

Is it usual to take this long?

Take care.
Old Sep 13, 17, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Gold: A3, KL Silver: AZ, BA
Depending on the reason for the cancellation (was it weather?), there may be no automatic right to compensation - only a duty of care to look after you while delayed.
Old Sep 13, 17, 8:41 am
Original Poster

Not related to weather or strikes, apparently it was some trouble with the plane that was supposed to fly the route that day.
Old Sep 13, 17, 8:42 am
Original Poster

Would it be a good idea to use any online service that take care of complains for you by charging a fee or it will take the same amount of time?
Old Sep 13, 17, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you have not even received acknowledgement of receipt of your initial submission, then re-submit it.

It is not unusual for several weeks to pass before they process the claim; however, there should be some form of (automated) acknowledgement of receipt of the claim - which usually indicates an expected timeframe, or whether they are unable to respond as quickly as normal, etc etc.

Last year, I found contacting TAP by Twitter to be fare more efficient than any other means.
Old Sep 14, 17, 12:08 am

Originally Posted by milfweed20 View Post
Would it be a good idea to use any online service that take care of complains for you by charging a fee or it will take the same amount of time?
I would just give them some more time, if they haven't responded at all, no point in going to one of the online agencies just yet.
I consider up to 1 month to be "reasonable" timeframe before starting to think something is wrong and trying a different contact method.
Old Sep 14, 17, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Ditto View Post
I would just give them some more time, if they haven't responded at all, no point in going to one of the online agencies just yet.
I consider up to 1 month to be "reasonable" timeframe before starting to think something is wrong and trying a different contact method.
There is always twitter
Old Sep 14, 17, 9:05 am
Original Poster

I'm sorry guys I wasn't clear, I've indeed received an acknowledgement from TAP indicating they've received my complaint and were investigating almost immediately.

I'm just surprised 14 days have passed and haven't heard back from them.
Old Sep 15, 17, 12:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You should at least allow 6-8 weeks before getting to this stage...

I had a case with a different airline this summer. From posting the claim (which was straightforward and uncontested) until being advised they would pay took 22 days. Getting the money into my account took a further 15 days. I had expected things to drag on far longer.
Old Sep 17, 17, 5:47 pm

Programs: Hilton, IHG, Choice, Alaska, Avianca, Japan Airlines
Did Hell Freeze over Yet?

Search this Thread