Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > TAP Air Portugal | Miles&Go
Reload this Page >

TAP Portugal: Same-day flight change / stand by?

Old Aug 26, 17, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Hi everyone. I am flying TAP flight 209 tomorrow LIS-JFK. I am booked with a basic Y class fare. I was hoping to get on the earlier flight to EWR (TP 201). I called the airline and they said it would be at least a 100 or more change fee even at the airport. Has anyone had experience trying to do standby same day on TAP. Will they charge that big of a fee for an earlier flight if I try to go to the airport and hop on the earlier flight? (Granted it is technically to a different airport, same city though).
Old Aug 26, 17, 3:16 pm

Programs: A3*G, EY Silver
They don't have same day standby. You'd have to change your ticket.
Old Aug 26, 17, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton IHG LH BA TK
In theory airlines, including TP, keep the discipline of fare rules: if they didn't we'd buy the cheapest tickets with some confidence we could change them..

But the practice can be different - depending on whether or nor it suits TP to create more available seats on the later flight, perhaps because they are overbooked.

Even so, it's a bad strategy to ask at the ticket desk: they're pretty certain to give you the "only if you pay" answer.

Staff at the gate are more intimately involved in the operational niceties and might prefer to pack you away to give them more breathing space later. That has certainly worked for me, and it can't hurt trying it - just don't do it with any sense of entitlement, and don't be too disappointed if your request is refused.

Search this Thread