FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TAP Air Portugal | Miles&Go (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/tap-air-portugal-miles-go-767/)
-   -   Warning: TAP Changes Fare Class of Discount Tickets (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/tap-air-portugal-miles-go/1859313-warning-tap-changes-fare-class-discount-tickets.html)

wanderingproblem Feb 26, 2019 2:30 pm

No clarity to this situation in 2019 ...

TAP's website still doesn't show fares in the search nor in the purchase pages.

Booked Classic Economy VIE-LIS-JFK, for early January.
Email shows the "4359 Victoria miles" alongside the purchase price (so a bit short of the circle of 4802).

Nothing posted after about a month to UA.
Tried online form, came back with fare class A ... denied any mileage.
Opened a case w/ United, they're insisting it's fare class A and haven't credited anything.
At nearly 700 Euro one-way, it was in no way an early or low fare.

I've asked for a receipt, but a fare basis is nowhere to be found on it.
UA won't confirm how THEY got the fare code.

In short, I'm extremely skeptical that it deserves to be fare code A and that I shouldn't get ANY miles.
Even 50% would be acceptable, 0 is not.

So a couple of questions, based on everything I've read about :

1.) How am I going to get an actual fare basis from TP on this??
2.) How can I search what fares are even listed for this route?? Picking an arbitrary Sunday, March 31 on ITA Matrix, shows fare of 'L' but that's obviously not definitive.

Any help, greatly appreciated.

malmostoso Feb 26, 2019 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by wanderingproblem (Post 30824903)
2.) How can I search what fares are even listed for this route?? Picking an arbitrary Sunday, March 31 on ITA Matrix, shows fare of 'L' but that's obviously not definitive.

In the matrix you could try forcing C:TP+ and "f BC=A" and then going through the alphabet, when a fare appears write down the price and compare with what the TP website offers. Hardly bombproof, but could help. I, X, O, can be skipped ;)

FlyerTalker688786 Mar 2, 2019 3:38 am

Wow, TAP has some nice fares when I was searching flight. But I would never book with them now as the hidden fare code is too much of a skill and lottery. [go figure].

pok Mar 24, 2019 4:09 pm

Is it maybe minimum of fare (discount, basic, classic, plus,...) and booking class? I got 10% on a classic fare (international flight) in booking class O at Asiana Club

Stewie Mac May 9, 2019 9:12 am

any update at all on this?

Looking to book a TP itin next week, and have a choice of Basic to Plus with a delta of about $80 between them. My colleague could really do with the 3000 odd miles (if credited at 100%) for *G requalification, and *if* I was confident that Plus would get them, it's a simple and not expensive way to do so. Against that, it's a waste of $80 if it still generates 0 miles...

airoli Apr 27, 2021 11:41 am

Also facing this dilemma now. Looking at a TAP flight ZRH-LIS-FNC, willing to book "Classic". Crediting to UA.

I can book it on the TP website, without having a clue of what the fare basis or accrual to UA would be.

Or I can book via a GDS, targeting specific booking classes that I know are eligible for UA accrual, and using the Classic branded fare in these booking classes. This costs about $100 more. I am willing to do it, but only if I know that those booking classes are then the ones that are being sent to UA for accrual. Otherwise, why bother?

Is there any recent evidence either way?

airoli May 19, 2021 12:10 am

Answering my own question for the record: I booked a "Classic" branded fare in W and Q classes via GDS, and those were the classes sent to UA, where they credited as expected.

rj123456 May 21, 2021 3:14 pm

I recently booked one of the super discounted business class TATL fares advertised by TAP (booked on their website).

How do I figure out what the fare basis is for mileage credit? I am trying to decide between crediting to United or Lufthansa.

Thanks in advance!

airoli May 22, 2021 1:07 am

If you booked on their website, you have no way of knowing until it posts, or not, to your FFP of choice.

estrela May 22, 2021 6:53 am

Originally Posted by airoli (Post 33270056)
If you booked on their website, you have no way of knowing until it posts, or not, to your FFP of choice.

This is just such a bad user experience. In my opinion TP should be kicked out of Star Alliance.

No wonder Neeleman ran away from TP.

corporate-wage-slave May 23, 2021 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by rj123456 (Post 33269295)
I recently booked one of the super discounted business class TATL fares advertised by TAP (booked on their website).

How do I figure out what the fare basis is for mileage credit? I am trying to decide between crediting to United or Lufthansa.

Thanks in advance!

You can use the ticket number on your booking in the e-ticket option of Saudia. This then gives you the Fare Class, which as Irishguy28 has explained upthread isn't so useful, and then on the left side you will see Fare Basis, which has the earning category embedded in the middle of it, again as explained upthread.

SK AAR May 27, 2021 11:33 am

Sorry if this may have been asked upthreads already, but if I opt for "Classic" or "Plus" will the booking class change from O to something higher/eligible for miles/points? The difference from "Discount" to "Classic" or even "Plus" is not significant for the LPA flights I'm looking at, but I will not buy this ticket if the fare class remains "O" regardless if I choose "Basic", "Classic" or "Plus". ITA Matrix shows that the cheapest fare available (corresponding to "Discount") is def. O.

corporate-wage-slave May 27, 2021 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by SK AAR (Post 33283515)
Sorry if this may have been asked upthreads already, but if I opt for "Classic" or "Plus" will the booking class change from O to something higher/eligible for miles/points? The difference from "Discount" to "Classic" or even "Plus" is not significant for the LPA flights I'm looking at, but I will not buy this ticket if the fare class remains "O" regardless if I choose "Basic", "Classic" or "Plus". ITA Matrix shows that the cheapest fare available (corresponding to "Discount") is def. O.

Have a look at the detailed response from irishguy28, but the short answer is no. Booking class is unrelated to TAP's fare structure, you could even pay more and end up in a lower booking class.

ArnoldB Jun 3, 2021 5:56 am

If I upgrade via Plusgrade or Seatboost, does the Booking class change, earning me more miles (in other FF programs as well)? Currently I believe that my economy flight (discount fare) goes into booking class A, which would get me 0 Miles & More Miles.