Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > TAP Air Portugal | Miles&Go
Reload this Page >

Warning: TAP Changes Fare Class of Discount Tickets

Warning: TAP Changes Fare Class of Discount Tickets

Old Aug 11, 17, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post
Yes, but you can surely appreciate that there is a disconnect between the partner earnings tables (which relate to an old fare structure) and the current TAP situation.
I certainly agree but I think this lag is more often than not advantageous to the traveler, who can make the most of these inefficiencies by using multiple FFPs on the same alliance.
Old Aug 17, 17, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
I have written to TAP on twitter asking for clarification the booking classes that make up Discount, Classic, Basic.. The chart on their current website does not show the booking class.

Last edited by djjaguar64; Aug 17, 17 at 6:51 am
Old Aug 17, 17, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Gold: A3, KL Silver: AZ, BA
Please see related discussion on parallel (earlier) thread:

Originally Posted by 1353513636 View Post
O, E, T is 10% for Asiana Club, the fact that O is higher than U is unusual, perhaps not properly updated. Asiana Club has a few of them, most notably, LOT Polish, that the accrual chart was clearly not updated when the carrier changed fare structure.

Buying up to classic does not affect the fare basis assuming the fare basis is simply the first letter of the fare.

Discount would be U15DSC, classic would be U15CSC.

What I'm trying to figure out is if TAP changes the fare basis to prevent mileage accrual on partner programs like United does with N fares.

For example, for a United flight:

City pair: SFO-SEA
Fare class: N
Fare basis code: LAA4AQBN

Disclaimer: I haven't flown a Basic Economy fare yet so I don't know how it credits to partner programs.
As noted above, the "fare class" is now apparently largely meaningless, certainly if you are collecting miles with TAP or Asiana (or, I imagine, with any other *A carrier).

When you fly TAP, it is the fare family that matters.
Old Aug 17, 17, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by djjaguar64 View Post
I have written to TAP on twitter asking for clarification the booking classes that make up Discount, Classic, Basic.. The chart on their current website does not show the booking class.
ALL booking classes can be bought as a "Discount" fare; all booking classes can be bought as a "Basic" fare; all booking classes can be bought as a "Classic" fare; and all booking classes can be bought as a "Plus" fare.

Please see the examples of fare bases posted above. The leading letter of the fare basis is now meaningless - it is the three characters "DSC", "BSC", "CLC" or "PLU" appearing with the fare basis that now governs which "family" the fare falls into for mileage earning purposes.

You can buy every single fare class (Y, B, M, S....E, T, O) as either "Discount", "Basic", "Classic" or "Plus". Here is an example culled from up-thread:

03+Y15PLU0A 551 1102 Y - Y fare sold as "Plus"
04+Y15CLC0A 501 1002 Y - Y fare sold as "Classic"
05+Y15BSC0A 496 992 Y - Y fare sold as "Basic"
07+Y15DSC0A 481 962 Y - Y fare sold as "Discount"

Note that, in line with reported UA behaviour for "N" fares, and in line with the experience reported by the OP in this very thread, the fare basis you bought is likely to be translated to a completely different letter for the purposes of YOUR frequent flyer programme such that your ticket earns an amount of miles that more closely matches the earning rationale of TAP flights as shown here, rather than the "letter code earning" of your FFP:
Attached Images  

Last edited by irishguy28; Aug 17, 17 at 11:24 am
Old Aug 17, 17, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is their response:

All our branded fares (tap|basic, tap|classic, tap|tplus) include every booking class (Y, B, M, S, H, Q, V, W, A, K, L, U).
Old Aug 17, 17, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ALL booking classes can be bought as a "Discount" fare; all booking classes can be bought as a "Basic" fare; all booking classes can be bought as a "Classic" fare; and all booking classes can be bought as a "Plus" fare.

Please see the examples of fare bases posted above. The leading letter of the fare basis is now meaningless - it is the three characters "DSC", "BSC", "CLC" or "PLU" appearing with the fare basis that now governs which "family" the fare falls into for mileage earning purposes.

You can buy every single fare class (Y, B, M, S....E, T, O) as either "Discount", "Basic", "Classic" or "Plus". Here is an example culled from up-thread:

03+Y15PLU0A 551 1102 Y - Y fare sold as "Plus"
04+Y15CLC0A 501 1002 Y - Y fare sold as "Classic"
05+Y15BSC0A 496 992 Y - Y fare sold as "Basic"
07+Y15DSC0A 481 962 Y - Y fare sold as "Discount"

This is fine I now understand it but I am taking a risk when booking on their website as it still does not tell me the booking class code until after I have booked. I accumulate with the Aegean program.
Old Aug 17, 17, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by djjaguar64 View Post
This is fine I now understand it but I am taking a risk when booking on their website as it still does not tell me the booking class code until after I have booked. I accumulate with the Aegean program.
Agreed, you are taking a risk as you won't know exactly what you are going to earn in Aegean.

However, the TAP website offers you the choice between Discount, Basic, Classic and Plus. That choice is what will govern the potential mileage, not whether it is "Y" or "N" or "S".

It seems that, whatever actual letter TAP uses, it will be translated to a different letter anyway, such that your choice of Discount fare will map to a letter that earns something close to 10% (possibly 0% in most programmes, beware) in your non-Victoria programme, such that your choice of Basic fare will map to something that earns close to 40%, etc etc
Old Aug 17, 17, 3:51 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Agreed, you are taking a risk as you won't know exactly what you are going to earn in Aegean.

However, the TAP website offers you the choice between Discount, Basic, Classic and Plus. That choice is what will govern the potential mileage, not whether it is "Y" or "N" or "S".

It seems that, whatever actual letter TAP uses, it will be translated to a different letter anyway, such that your choice of Discount fare will map to a letter that earns something close to 10% (possibly 0% in most programmes, beware) in your non-Victoria programme, such that your choice of Basic fare will map to something that earns close to 40%, etc etc
So you only ever know what you will earn after you have flown? Is there no way to check in advance what you are buying with each fare code or booking "brand"?

If so, then consumer protection should intervene. It is normal that you want to know what exactly you are buying and how many points you will earn before you buy and this is obfuscated.
Old Aug 17, 17, 4:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: Lowest level possible
Originally Posted by Tafflyer View Post
So you only ever know what you will earn after you have flown? Is there no way to check in advance what you are buying with each fare code or booking "brand"?
Some websites let you check the full fare code before you complete the booking.
Old Aug 17, 17, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So I booked a one way Business fare which booked in J & Z(ARN-LIS-YYZ) which is fine for me as this will give me 200% in the Miles & Bonus program. But I now have to book a one way in Economy.

So I really don't mind the 50% as my 200% will make up the difference.

TAP earnings on Aegean Miles & Bonus Program

Economy: Y, B, M, H, Q 100%
Economy Discounted: W, S, K, U, G, P, L, A, V 50%
Miles cannot be earned in booking classes: I, R, O, E, T, X, N, F.

Last edited by djjaguar64; Aug 18, 17 at 6:33 am
Old Aug 17, 17, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DoTheBartMan View Post
Expedia will allow it
Old Aug 17, 17, 7:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Spire Amb, Hilton Gold
The whole reason we have this thread is because the full fare code doesn't tell us what class it will map into.​​​ In fact, there doesn't seem to be a way to know!
Old Aug 17, 17, 8:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: Lowest level possible
The whole reason we have this thread is because the full fare code doesn't tell us what class it will map into.​​​ In fact, there doesn't seem to be a way to know!
There is.
The fare basis for your booking was U15DSC0C. As others have pointed out, that is a "Discount" fare, as denoted by the "DSC" in the fare basis. Which will earn you 10% of miles flown.

Last edited by DoTheBartMan; Aug 17, 17 at 8:42 pm
Old Aug 18, 17, 12:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Spire Amb, Hilton Gold
There is.
The fare basis for your booking was U15DSC0C. As others have pointed out, that is a "Discount" fare, as denoted by the "DSC" in the fare basis. Which will earn you 10% of miles flown.
No. You earn 10% when crediting to TAP Victoria only. Other programs it is based on fare class, however TP changes the fare class based on the family but there is no information regarding how it is changed. Many programs do not have a TP fare class that earns 10%. What do I earn in those programs?
Old Aug 18, 17, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No. You earn 10% when crediting to TAP Victoria only. Other programs it is based on fare class, however TP changes the fare class based on the family but there is no information regarding how it is changed. Many programs do not have a TP fare class that earns 10%. What do I earn in those programs?
Yes you are absolutely correct, 10% applies to TAP's program only!

Search this Thread