Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TAP - Security Breach Cockpit Visit

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2017, 11:13 pm

Programs: Yeah, well, don’t really care anymore
'Sterile cockpit' basically means no chit-chat below 10K. You could have a circus of clowns occupying the jump seats and it would be totally legal, provided they stayed quiet.

Think you'll find TAP are well pleased if they never see you onboard on of their aircraft again.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 12:49 am
THR

Originally Posted by imverge
Being certain - doesn't = I know for a fact.
But you made it sound like you spoke with such authority on the issue.

That is really just weaseling out of your claim your certainty implied.

You are clearly a very interesting individual.

Last edited by THR; Jul 23, 2017 at 12:49 am Reason: Typo
Old Jul 23, 2017, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Yachtman
I believe there is a lot of confusion over flight deck access rules, including rules relating to domestic operators designated by the countries aviation authority, rules in relation to foreign operators when operating in another countries airspace and also individual airlines.
So the question is; are flight deck visits allowed on Portuguese registered transport aircraft? Are flight deck visits allowed on aircraft bound for Canadian airspace? Does TAP allow flight deck visitors at the Commanders discretion?
It is important to realise that in many countries and airlines flight deck visits are still allowed.
^ If the OP had raised the issue in this format then there'd probably have been a interesting and informative discussion.

Instead he/she chose to raise it in a different, less attractive, way - identifying the crew member involved in a public forum, and then canvassing our support for the public-spirited action taken.

The subsequent hole-digging adds little to the dignity of the exercise.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 5:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
The FAA regulations are at issue since if this is something that indeed TAP allows - they also operate flights to the USA and fly over US air space.

Actually what I do think is relevant your opinion isn't.

I'm a passenger who has reported witnessing something that I consider a security breach and if this is something that is allowed on TAP. I won't use them again. SIMPLE.
Again, what you consider a security breach does not make it a security breach.

Federal Aviation Administration introduced the Sterile Cockpit Rule. What is the Sterile Cockpit Rule?

It means that during take-off and landing - before the aircraft passes 10,000 feet on ascent and after it has passed 10,000 feet on the approach - pilots must focus entirely on “their essential operational activities” and “avoid non-essential conversations”.

“Sterile flight deck procedures are meant to increase the flight crew members’ attention to their essential operational activities when their focused alert is needed,” reads the code, which applies to all aviation authorities in the EU, including the British Civil Aviation Authority (CAA).

The rule, which all airlines are required to enforce, forbids “any duties during a critical phase of flight except those duties required for the safe operation of the aircraft”, citing as example, calls for galley supplies, confirming passenger connections, or airline promotions over the tannoy.

It also bans flight crew members or pilots from “eating meals, engaging in nonessential conversations… and nonessentials communications between the cabin and cockpit crews, and reading publications not related to the proper conduct of the flight”. It states this rule applies below 10,000 feet, and during taxi, take-off and landing.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/tr...hy-definition/
Do you have any validation that sterile cockpit was violated? As others have stated, this applies directly to the flight crew's interaction during critical phases of flight. Having people in the jump seats for critical phases is not a violation of sterile cockpit.

I would definitely suggest you avoid flying TP in the future. I also suggest you avoid BA, AF, LX, the ME3, and anything from India.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 6:39 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Sorry, I don't think anyone other than the pilots should be in the cockpit during takeoff and landing ... they don't need distractions.
This isn't illegal and this isn't the reason. In many aircraft (small) the pilot and the passengers are all in the same compartment. I was once invited by a captain on an AA flight to go in the jump seat for the flight, and he didn't even know me before I got on the plane and said "hello." However, the change has been in the security regulations where, at least in some places (all flights to and from and within the U.S.?) it is now a violation of security regulations (not safety regulations) to allow people in the cockpit while the plane is flying (other than very limited specific categories).
Old Jul 23, 2017, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
... if this is something that is allowed on TAP. I won't use them again. SIMPLE.
LOL.
I'm sure TAP will be distraught at the thought of never seeing you (and the $100 they receive from Aeroplan for your award ticket) again.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 7:19 am
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
It boils down to company regulations. Post 9-11, many companies changed their rules to not allow non airline employee's to enter the cockpit once the cabin doors were closed for visits until landing and arrival at the gate.

Other's specifically do not allow ANYONE in the cockpit who is not a pilot on duty (i.e. instructor/assessment officer) in the cockpit except cabin crew on duty on the flight (i.e. 1 pilot uses the rest room, a cabin crew must be present in the cockpit till the pilot returns. 1 pilot can not be allowed on his or her own in the cockpit).

And then some airlines, as you guys have mentioned, leave it to the pilot's discreation.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 8:16 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
EASA allows the flight crew to decide who is allowed upfront. There is no rule that says no pax at the flight deck. What is not allowed is that the visitors interfere with or fly the aircraft themselves.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 8:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Yachtman
I believe there is a lot of confusion over flight deck access rules, including rules relating to domestic operators designated by the countries aviation authority, rules in relation to foreign operators when operating in another countries airspace and also individual airlines.
So the question is; are flight deck visits allowed on Portuguese registered transport aircraft? Are flight deck visits allowed on aircraft bound for Canadian airspace? Does TAP allow flight deck visitors at the Commanders discretion?
It is important to realise that in many countries and airlines flight deck visits are still allowed.
Thank you for your post.

It may very well be TAP's policy to allow this sort of thing but the big question is are they breaking any government aviation rules in doing so?

You are correct, there is a lot of confusion and I look forward to finding out what is allowed and what isn't.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 8:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SFO777
LOL.
I'm sure TAP will be distraught at the thought of never seeing you (and the $100 they receive from Aeroplan for your award ticket) again.
C'mon you should know better... Aeroplan? They charge YQ on TAP! ... Lifemiles
Old Jul 23, 2017, 9:17 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
I am certain it's against TAP corporate policy for security reasons, especially during take-off and landing.
Show me where I said I knew Portuguese aviation regulations or TAP policy?
Being certain - doesn't = I know for a fact.
This sequence tells me all I need to know about this thread.

"Known for sure; established beyond doubt." is literally one of the dictionary definitions of "certain."

OP: unless you are a European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA), Portuguese ANAC, or TAP official, you have no ground to stand on here. I hope the airline's reponse is something along the lines of "Thanks for your interest. We don't share internal policy with customers. Security reasons and all that."
Old Jul 23, 2017, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Let's not force apply US law to the rest of the world.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 9:50 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Thanks for your insight... but read my post #27 .
You are confusing cockpit access regulations with sterile cockpit regulations. They are unrelated. Sterile cockpit regulations have no affect on who is allowed in the cockpit during the sterile cockpit period.

The only thing that matters is what the rules are which apply to airlines certified under Portuguese regulations. I do not know what those rules are.

Well I guess when they do their investigation they can always listen to cockpit recordings
The cockpit voice recorder records on a loop (was a tape loop, now it's a digital 'loop') so conversations are erased relatively quickly. Tape-based CVRs had a 30-minute loop and the newer digital CVRs have a two-hour loop. The intent is to record the sounds and speech in the minutes before an accident. The recordings from your flight have long been erased.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 1:20 pm

Programs: AC SEMM
Obviously they are friends/colleagues! Let's talk REAL safety issues .......save complaints for poor service!
Old Jul 26, 2017, 6:22 am

I believe this action to be illegal and can’t understand why TAP would allow this serious security breach to happen.
As in most countries around the world, this is absolutely not illegal and up to the captain's discretion.

I am certain it's against TAP corporate policy for security reasons, especially during take-off and landing.
It is not.

I have heard of a FAA term called Sterile Cockpit when below 10,000FT.
You need to look up the jurisdiction of the FAA.

Originally Posted by NYTA
Not sure about Portuguese aviation law but in most countries that sort of thing is at the Captain's discretion.
This is indeed the case in Portugal.

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Whether or not there are any grounds for complaint I don't know.
There isn't. I certainly hope no authority wastes time on this. ANAC is swamped enough as it is.

I consider a security breach and if this is something that is allowed on TAP. I won't use them again. SIMPLE.
Good riddance. Just so you know, I've been invited to the cockpit on LH before, thus you should also include them on your list. In addition, AF regularly invites members of the French parliament and government to the cockpit, so you should probably stop flying with them as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.