Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > TAP Air Portugal | Miles&Go
Reload this Page >

TAP - how to annoy your customers before they get onboard

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2017, 3:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold

Most of us are used to the idea of paid seat selection nowadays. But with all except the no-frills carriers it is possible to select a seat for free at check in or move out of your pre-assigned seats.

TAP has taken this to a new level. Travelling long haul with another (non-TAP) star gold member and we have been pre-assigned two middle seats at the back of the aircraft.

Even at online check in, moving out of these requires payment for a seat (and a regular seat costs $50, no thank you). If they spent as much on finding win-win solutions as they do on their random seat assignment logic, they might find some happier customers!

</rant over>
Old May 22, 2017, 3:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ung1
Most of us are used to the idea of paid seat selection nowadays. But with all except the no-frills carriers it is possible to select a seat for free at check in or move out of your pre-assigned seats.
Far from true.
Paying for seat selection/assignment is sadly now common with some/many full service carriers. Or take your chances when checking in.
With BA you pay to select a seat in paid business class, and the lower class's, unless you have mid tier status. At T-7 you can select seats
Old May 22, 2017, 4:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Even at online check in, moving out of these requires payment for a seat (and a regular seat costs $50, no thank you).
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Far from true.
Paying for seat selection/assignment is sadly now common with some/many full service carriers. Or take your chances when checking in.
With BA you pay to select a seat in paid business class, and the lower class's, unless you have mid tier status. At T-7 you can select seats

But Mwenenzi, in your examples, you can select a seat for free, either 7 days before departure, or during online check-in.

As such, this confirms the OP's gripe and, despite your assertion that "all except the no-frills carriers it is possible to select a seat for free at check in or move out of your pre-assigned seats" is "far from true" remains uproven!
Old May 22, 2017, 5:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by irishguy28
But Mwenenzi, in your examples, you can select a seat for free, either 7 days before departure, or during online check-in.

As such, this confirms the OP's gripe and, despite your assertion that "all except the no-frills carriers it is possible to select a seat for free at check in or move out of your pre-assigned seats" is "far from true" remains uproven!
On long-haul, this is, afaik, true (but then there aren't gazillions of long-haul LCCs). On short-haul less so: on BA, you cannot select a seat at check-in with basic fares. This is more or less true with AF mini fares too, at any rate in the sense that you cannot select a seat at OLCI (although you could in principle change the seat assignment at the airport but, by then, your choice of seats will be pretty limited) so it seems to me not entirely without reason to question the generality of the statement put forward by the OP. It would probably have been accurate some 5 years ago or so. Less so now.
Old May 22, 2017, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
The statement is not "general"; s/he is clearly referring only to a TAP Longhaul flight.

It was other poster that "generalised" the discussion to include shorthaul...

TAP has taken this to a new level. Travelling long haul with another (non-TAP) star gold member and we have been pre-assigned two middle seats at the back of the aircraft.

Even at online check in, moving out of these requires payment for a seat (and a regular seat costs $50, no thank you).
Old May 22, 2017, 7:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Far from true.
You underlined part of my sentence, without reading the rest of it. As you said yourself, take your chances when checking in. Exactly. I'm normally happy to take my chances at check in because most people don't fork out the stupid seat fees carriers want.

Not being able to select seats at check in is another thing. And being pre-assigned 2 middle seats when the seat map is empty is what irritates me to no end.

This is for a long haul flight on a so-called full service carrier as a Star Gold.

Even with Norwegian, where you can't change seats online at check in, I have never been pre-assigned a middle seat if I'm checking in early enough.
Old May 22, 2017, 11:19 am

Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Platinum; QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold
I don't really understand this. I am flying short haul with TAP and was able to make my seat reservation ten days In advance at no charge. And this was before I registered my Star Gold number. Confused!
Old May 22, 2017, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Braniff
I don't really understand this. I am flying short haul with TAP and was able to make my seat reservation ten days In advance at no charge. And this was before I registered my Star Gold number. Confused!
Maybe you had one of the expensive fare buckets where seat selection is included?
Old May 23, 2017, 1:07 am

Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Platinum; QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold
Maybe you had one of the expensive fare buckets where seat selection is included?
It's fare bucket A and W - but were cheap !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.