Community
Wiki Posts
Search

So...is TAP airlines THAT bad

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2017, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

So...is TAP airlines THAT bad

looking at RT routing from IAD to BCN via JFK, they have the best fare.

whats the difference between their basic airfares....anyone experience either class yet?

also if I choose the next higher priced airfare it's a difference of say USD300. is TAP really that bad from what I have read?

haaaalp

Last edited by QuesoDeCan; Jan 27, 2017 at 1:44 pm
Old Jan 27, 2017, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
We don't know what you've read. TAP is quite normal.

In the economy cabin they divide their fares into four groups: Discount, Basic, Classic and Plus. See https://www.flytap.com/en-us/booking...n/tap-products Make sure you choose wisely. For example, their Discount fare does not allow free seat selection before check-in, they charge $30 for that. Per person per segment. So if you are traveling as a group and seating together is important, take into account this extra charge or consider a Basic fare.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 6:15 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
This thread should be in the Other European Airlines forum.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say
is TAP really that bad from what I have read?
Compared to whom? What did you read? What are you judging on?

It's a typical European flag carrier. I'd argue that service in Y is better than what you'd get for most US-based carriers.

The difference between all the different fares is what you get. The cabin is the same, the ammenities are different.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 1:38 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The A32S fleet beats any US carrier hands down in comfort and in flight. The longhaul fleet has mostly dated seating, but then the question comes up what the alternative between IAD and BCN is. The alternatives in coach are not exactly plush either.
AStarr likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 9:09 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
I flew TAP 3 times in late Dec 2016. All good service (in Economy) and baggage handling. In my opinion TAP is ^
Old Jan 30, 2017, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by QuesoDeCan

whats the difference between their basic airfares....anyone experience either class yet?

also if I choose the next higher priced airfare it's a difference of say USD300. is TAP really that bad from what I have read?

haaaalp
It's just another airline: better than some in some ways, substandard in others. Fare class is if no importance in terms of comfort and service.

Customer service stinks.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 9:39 am

Programs: OMNI Platinum
I flew TAP to Rome from JFK and the service was great. I was able to get premium economy seats for free.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 11:23 am

Not flown them in the last five years, but before that I never had the slightest complain, both intraeuropean in coach and a few TATLs to Brazil in business.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 1:42 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Perfectly fine intra-EU.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 9:49 am

Flew JFK - LIS on TAP economy. Perfectly fine for the price. If you book early enough you can even choose exit rows for free.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by QuesoDeCan

haaaalp
Economy or Business?
Old Feb 7, 2017, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

This would be for economy....economy plus would be a bonus though!
Old Jul 13, 2018, 5:04 am

So as everybody said here, it depends on what you’re looking for and comparing to. I’ve flown them business once and that product may not be top notch. For economy, it is a fair and honest product: seats are appropriate, catering is acceptable or even good (not TK-great, but neither UA or LH whatever) and you’ll have many flight attendants who are not just polite, but kind, warm and caring from the bottom of their heart. Consider the possibility of the free TAP Stopover (the option to spend up to 5 nights in Portugal for free during your trip), mind the super cheap rates on discount fares (TAP will still honor all your *G privileges, including the free checked bag) and if you’re looking for something that’s worth your money, mostly reliable and not a rip-off, you’re likely to get it from them.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 5:10 am

Programs: VS Gold
I'm glad we settled this 18 month old discussion.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by pablitoooooo
....if you’re looking for something that’s worth your money, mostly reliable and not a rip-off, you’re likely to get it from them.
... sure, it's a run-of-the-mill airline. But if things go at all wrong, as they inevitably will, don't expect too much from customer service.

And watch out for those longer, intercontinental, flights operated by narrow-body aircraft configured for short-haul routes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.