FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TAP Air Portugal | Miles&Go (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/tap-air-portugal-miles-go-767/)
-   -   TAP Portugal seat plan unavailable (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/tap-air-portugal-miles-go/1797288-tap-portugal-seat-plan-unavailable.html)

georgiapeach50 Oct 18, 2016 8:35 pm

TAP Portugal seat plan unavailable

I'm relatively new here, so bear with me. I am trying to book a short flight from Madrid to Lisbon for June 2017 on TAP. I chose the "classic" because I need to check a bag and want to take one carry on. When I chose select a seat, I received a message that the seating plan was unavailable. I tried this for three days. I have spent upwards of a half hour on two days on hold trying to get someone on the phone at TAP. Having a seat assignment on a 1 hr. 15 min. flight isn't the issue. It's that this makes me very anxious about customer service in the event of other issues.
I have booked flights from ATL to MAD and return from the end of our cruise elsewhere on Delta. However, I thought that getting from Madrid to Lisbon (cruise embarcation port) would be a snap. I know I have plenty of time but would love the help from you who know. Should I just try another airline? And if so, which one? TAP has the times and the price that I like, but I have learned the hard way that you get what you pay for. Thanks for any help.

irishguy28 Oct 19, 2016 2:48 am

Take a deep breath....relax.

Your flight isn't for another 8 months. Even if you can't select a seat during the ticket purchase process, you can always return to your booking and select a seat at a later date. (If you have already purchased a ticket, perhaps you are not aware that the ticket is not refundable)

I suspect that they may not have assigned a specific aircraft type for these flights so far in advance. Once a definitive seat map is loaded, you will be good to go.

TAP is a reputable, dependable airline. However, if you prize having an immediate seat assignment above all else, then perhaps you should look elsewhere (but bear in mind that some European airlines, such as Air France, do not allow seat selection on short/medium-haul flights at all until check in opens).

The times and the price suit you. Keep these things in mind. How much extra are you willing to pay/how much time are you prepared to sacrifice just so that you can select a seat right at this very moment?

Even if you could NEVER select a seat, and end up in a middle seat at the back of the row - this flight will only last for about 1 hour.

Palal Oct 20, 2016 6:38 am

Come back a few months before and try again. Failing that, check in 36 hours before the flight, and I bet you you'll still have many choices when it comes to seating. Also, unless this is a friday night/monday morning flight, I doubt the plane will be packed full.