Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > TAP Air Portugal | Miles&Go
Reload this Page >

TAP and Star Alliance Gold benefits when travelling on cheapest Economy ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TAP and Star Alliance Gold benefits when travelling on cheapest Economy ticket

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2017, 4:01 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
I asked them on FB about extra baggage allowance and they said that *G get no extra bags on the cheapest 'discount' fares.

Interestingly, my *G benefits on A3 now list an extra bag ONLY if the itinerary has 2+ airlines involved.

Last edited by Palal; Aug 29, 2017 at 11:10 am
Old Aug 29, 2017, 5:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
I wrote to Star Alliance on twitter.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 6:17 am

Originally Posted by Palal
Interestingly, my *G benefits on A3 now list an extra bag ONLY if the itinerary has 2+ airlines involved.
Interesting indeed. Does one of them need to be A3?
Old Aug 29, 2017, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by mmff
Interesting indeed. Does one of them need to be A3?
It says "two star alliance airlines"

The *A website says:

Extra Baggage Allowance
You can take an extra 20 kg (44 pounds) where the weight concept applies or an extra piece where the piece concept applies.

Some airlines do not offer this benefit on individual flights but only on connecting Star Alliance flights. Within Europe on "Light" fares offered by Lufthansa, Austrian & SWISS and "Check&Go" fares offered by Brussels Airlines, the extra baggage allowance is not offered.
The A3 site says
Extra baggage allowance

As a Gold member you can choose not to travel light. We allow an additional 20 kg (44 pounds) where the weight concept applies, or one additional piece of luggage where the piece concept applies.

This benefit* may only be available if traveling on two or more Star Alliance member airlines on a single ticket. Please contact the Star Alliance member airline with whom you will check-in with for further details.

On Aegean flights all Star Gold status holders retain the right to carry free of charge one additional piece of baggage, regardless of the fare family they are traveling with (32kg in Business and 23kg in Economy Class).

* Τhe extra baggage allowance is not offered on "Light" fares offered by Lufthansa, Austrian & SWISS and "Check&Go" fares offered by Brussels Airlines, within Europe.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 10:34 am

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
*A website used to say extra bag benefit only applies for conencting between 2 carriers so that NZ could give no bags to *G on HBO fares but when LH introduced them that didn't work because LH group has numerous members. I do hope they crack down on TP though because while I dislike not having free bags on discount fares, not having extra free baggage on any fare for *G goes outside the spirit of the exception made to accommadate HBO fares.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by 1353513636
I do hope they crack down on TP though because while I dislike not having free bags on discount fares, not having extra free baggage on any fare for *G goes outside the spirit of the exception made to accommadate HBO fares.
They do give *G +1 bag on non-HBO fares.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 11:23 am

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Palal
They do give *G +1 bag on non-HBO fares.
My understanding is that TP's official stance has recently changed to no extra bags for *G on any fare, however, in practice, that is not yet being enforced.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 3:46 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Just to provide my own experience re:seat assignments today, the 3 hour rule worked for me. Too well, in fact, my connecting flight didn't allow me to freely change seats until 3 hours before either. Thankfully I was able to re-check in online and change to an exit row for free at the 3 hour mark.

It is a real pain that TP does this, and adds to the woes I've had regarding this first trip with TP, but at least I got my exit row.

Also, the website was telling me I could get a free checked bag, and I'm flying on an all TP itinerary.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 10:13 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium, TAP Gold
Sorry to say this, but the more I fly with TAP (which has been at least 3x/month for the last 6 months), the more I dislike them. The primary reason is the absolute inconsistency in almost every regard, which I will elaborate by bucket:

Food
The 6:45am flight from LIS>FRA, without any explanation for a while, had no service for all classes. They had these meal boxes at the seats (including business) and only had water service a few times throughout the 3ish hour flight with FA walking about with water bottles and plastic cups. In C, they did have beverage service, but you definitely had to flag down a FA. Today, however, they randomly had a full meal service in C, again, without explanation. On some evening flights from FRA>LIS, there were a few times where I had amazing dinners with menus and multiple choices in entrees in C, and times where I just got a sandwich. Could not, for the life of me, figure out any rhyme or reason.

Baggage
So, online, you'll find a couple of different resources from the TAP website, there is this page that gives you no information about *G passengers, and this page that doesn't link from the previous page and you actually cannot find navigating the "new" TAP website, at least I couldn't. In practice, with a Basic fare, you don't have any free baggage allowances, which is fine. However, in practice, there were several times that I was able to check 1 bag for free after the system read me as *G, contrary to what the website states. No complaints there, but very inconsistent.

Boarding
Over the past several months, boarding on the AM LIS>FRA flight has ranged from early boarding, delayed boarding, on-time boarding with passengers being told to wait on the jet bridge, and normal on-time boarding. Also, there were several times when waiting on the jet bridge, a gate agent would walk to passengers lined up in the front, in C, and ask if they could check their bags because there was no room for their bag in the overhead compartment (before even boarding the plane). Imagine everyone's confusion. There was also one time when a gate agent denied me entry into the plane at the plane door because she wanted me to check my bag, citing there was no room (I was 5th to board).

There are some other issues, but I'll stop while I'm ahead . One positive thing I'll leave with is that I have basically no complains about on-time performance. Out of all the TAP flights I've been on, I've only had a handful of flights delayed (on average 10-15 mins), and only 1 flight that has been more than 1 hour delayed, so props to that.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by pnt1
Sorry to say this, but the more I fly with TAP (which has been at least 3x/month for the last 6 months), the more I dislike them.
I tend to agree and your observations are spot on. I've been trying to avoid them as much as I can lately and have been happy flying on other *A carriers, connecting to long-haul flights. Thankfully these days there are plenty of 1-stop choices out of LIS and the lounge is open to *G on with tickets on any *A carrier
Old Nov 21, 2017, 2:59 pm

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Interesting. I had not flown them but did so the past couple of days, one discount Eco on ORY-LIS and then in longhaul Business LIS-JFK.

Can't say a lot about luggage (didn't have any). Boarding: in ORY, a bit annoying to call out missing pax 40 minutes before departure to then have them wait on the bus for 20 minutes. In LIS, fine. Food: normal European Y food on the shorthaul, edible food on the longhaul but nothing fancy, and not a lot of choice. All of this I can live with. What I find super annoying is the policy that seat changes at OLCI cost 25 EUR! Already they don't give free seat choice to Star Golds at time of booking, but then to make us pay at OLCI until 3h before departure (when all the good seats are gone), really really annoying.

What I liked though:cabins! On the shorthaul I managed to get a seat in row 5, which was a comfort seat, lots of legroom. Power plug between seats, and a very convenient tablet holder. Comfort was good once I had a pillow. My question to those that fly TAP more frequently: are all shorthaul planes equipped with these seats?

On the longhaul, very much appreciated the lie-flat seats in the 1-2-2//1-2-1 layout, including the nice throne seats, one of which I had. The table was a bit on the small side, but otherwise very comfortable and very good stowage.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 8:25 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium, TAP Gold
Originally Posted by San Gottardo
What I liked though:cabins! On the shorthaul I managed to get a seat in row 5, which was a comfort seat, lots of legroom. Power plug between seats, and a very convenient tablet holder. Comfort was good once I had a pillow. My question to those that fly TAP more frequently: are all shorthaul planes equipped with these seats?
OK, true, the seats are another plus; however, again, it's inconsistent whether you're going to get the new retrofitted seats. Most if not all of the 321s, I believe, have them, at least the routes I've flown have all had the retrofitted seats. I think some of the 320s and 319s still don't have plugs even in the retrofitted planes. I fly into LIS sometimes from either DUS or CGN, operated by Portugalia on Embraers, which are the old leather seats sans plugs, but they're super comfortable, surprisingly.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 1:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
That shouldn't be surprising. When it comes to standard airline seats, the older they are, generally the more comfortable they are.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 6:31 am
tff

Programs: FB LTPE, TP Gold, All Gold
Sorry to say this, but the more I fly with TAP (which has been at least 3x/month for the last 6 months), the more I dislike them. The primary reason is the absolute inconsistency in almost every regard, which I will elaborate by bucket:

Food
The 6:45am flight from LIS>FRA, without any explanation for a while, had no service for all classes. They had these meal boxes at the seats (including business) and only had water service a few times throughout the 3ish hour flight with FA walking about with water bottles and plastic cups. In C, they did have beverage service, but you definitely had to flag down a FA. Today, however, they randomly had a full meal service in C, again, without explanation. On some evening flights from FRA>LIS, there were a few times where I had amazing dinners with menus and multiple choices in entrees in C, and times where I just got a sandwich. Could not, for the life of me, figure out any rhyme or reason.

Baggage
So, online, you'll find a couple of different resources from the TAP website, there is this page that gives you no information about *G passengers, and this page that doesn't link from the previous page and you actually cannot find navigating the "new" TAP website, at least I couldn't. In practice, with a Basic fare, you don't have any free baggage allowances, which is fine. However, in practice, there were several times that I was able to check 1 bag for free after the system read me as *G, contrary to what the website states. No complaints there, but very inconsistent.

Boarding
Over the past several months, boarding on the AM LIS>FRA flight has ranged from early boarding, delayed boarding, on-time boarding with passengers being told to wait on the jet bridge, and normal on-time boarding. Also, there were several times when waiting on the jet bridge, a gate agent would walk to passengers lined up in the front, in C, and ask if they could check their bags because there was no room for their bag in the overhead compartment (before even boarding the plane). Imagine everyone's confusion. There was also one time when a gate agent denied me entry into the plane at the plane door because she wanted me to check my bag, citing there was no room (I was 5th to board).

There are some other issues, but I'll stop while I'm ahead . One positive thing I'll leave with is that I have basically no complains about on-time performance. Out of all the TAP flights I've been on, I've only had a handful of flights delayed (on average 10-15 mins), and only 1 flight that has been more than 1 hour delayed, so props to that.
The service onboard issues related to lack of cabin crew will hopefully be dealt with soon. It's incredibly annoying and disrespectful towards the passengers. The different boarding procedures too. But it's positive that their on-time performance is improving.

OK, true, the seats are another plus; however, again, it's inconsistent whether you're going to get the new retrofitted seats. Most if not all of the 321s, I believe, have them, at least the routes I've flown have all had the retrofitted seats. I think some of the 320s and 319s still don't have plugs even in the retrofitted planes. I fly into LIS sometimes from either DUS or CGN, operated by Portugalia on Embraers, which are the old leather seats sans plugs, but they're super comfortable, surprisingly.
All the 321s and 319s are done. Only a few A320s to go. However, the inconsistency is normal during a retrofitting period - it's hardly a problem that is specific of TP.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by tff
The service onboard issues related to lack of cabin crew will hopefully be dealt with soon. It's incredibly annoying and disrespectful towards the passengers. The different boarding procedures too. But it's positive that their on-time performance is improving.

All the 321s and 319s are done. Only a few A320s to go. However, the inconsistency is normal during a retrofitting period - it's hardly a problem that is specific of TP.

How are they going to deal with the crew issue?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.