Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > TAP Air Portugal | Miles&Go
Reload this Page >

TAP and Star Alliance Gold benefits when travelling on cheapest Economy ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TAP and Star Alliance Gold benefits when travelling on cheapest Economy ticket

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2017, 7:38 am

Does anyone know whether with the new checked baggage rules from September 1st - *G still get a free checked bag on discount tickets?
Old Jun 20, 2017, 2:49 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
I flew a TAP discount at the end of May and received a free bag as *G. I also had an issue with the ground staff acting out of line and filed a complaint with TP Customer Service. Here was the reply:

Despite being a Star Alliance Gold member you are not exempt from payment of checked baggage. Only TAP Victoria Silver and Gold members have baggage exemptions. You purchased a discounted brand ticket which does not permit free checked baggage and thus, you must pay the fee.

Didn't address my concern but does not bode well for the future.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by 1353513636
I flew a TAP discount at the end of May and received a free bag as *G. I also had an issue with the ground staff acting out of line and filed a complaint with TP Customer Service. Here was the reply:

Despite being a Star Alliance Gold member you are not exempt from payment of checked baggage. Only TAP Victoria Silver and Gold members have baggage exemptions. You purchased a discounted brand ticket which does not permit free checked baggage and thus, you must pay the fee.

Didn't address my concern but does not bode well for the future.
Just to clarify, you mentioned that you did get free bag as *G (which what TAP mentioned to be over phone), though the TP reply states that *G are not exempt from payment, which is the opposite.
Was that the reason of the issues with ground staff?
Old Jun 21, 2017, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by bruno-s
Just to clarify, you mentioned that you did get free bag as *G (which what TAP mentioned to be over phone), though the TP reply states that *G are not exempt from payment, which is the opposite.
Was that the reason of the issues with ground staff?
Reason for conflict with ground staff was because they said that you couldn't check a free bag if *G but crediting to non-*G card, when I tried to show them *A rules, they went on a power trip and behaved very unprofessionally. When I wrote into TP customer service, they wrote back that *G don't get a free bag period, which is even stranger.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
I've been rather blasé about the free bag business on the cheapest of fares, then had a panicky moment when a TP agent said that was not the case, and checked with her supervisor - who apparently confirmed her view.

Now TP agents are lovely people but not always fully on the ball. So, I came to check on here, where I got more confused ....

So a straight answer please guys 🤗: does non-Victoria *Gold still get you a free bag on no-bag fares within Europe?

Or not.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 8:59 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
does non-Victoria *Gold still get you a free bag on no-bag fares within Europe?

Or not.
No according to this

Last edited by Palal; Jun 26, 2017 at 4:11 am
Old Jun 25, 2017, 10:31 am

Yes. But not every agent will give it to you.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Palal
Yes according to this

Thanks - it's a page I'd never seen!
Old Jun 25, 2017, 11:06 pm

Programs: AY ex-Lumo, TK Elite, BT VIP, ITA Executive
Originally Posted by Palal
Yes according to this
To me it shows that a non-Victoria *G receives no bag allowance on Discount fares within Europe and Africa.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 4:11 am

I misread it.

on22cz you're correct. You get no checked bags even with *G.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 10:53 am

That's not what it said last week. This is a recent change.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 2:18 am

Originally Posted by 1353513636
That's not what it said last week. This is a recent change.
Agreed. I flew May on a discount Y ticket; tool gave me a free checked bag as did ground staff.

So following LH, 0 + 1 = 0 for TAP too. At least the Greeks can still do maths
Old Jun 27, 2017, 3:12 am

Originally Posted by SwissBritMiss
Agreed. I flew May on a discount Y ticket; tool gave me a free checked bag as did ground staff.

So following LH, 0 + 1 = 0 for TAP too. At least the Greeks can still do maths
Kiwis started it
Old Jun 27, 2017, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Dealing with an airline shouldn't be so frustrating...

BAGS
Notwithstanding the interactive baggage allowance thingy from Palal (which clearly shows a charge);

and the word of the TP representative who just as clearly said there's be a charge;

the online check-in page for tomorrow's fight says in black and white my baggage allowance is one bag, and there's zero to pay for it.

SEATS
I've been allocated an aisle seat towards the front, with an empty seat between me and my window neighbour. Which is fine, I'd prefer to be windowed, but tanto faz. Changing the seat to anything else involves £££, and I can't begin to understand the strategies outlined above to trick the system into allowing a charge-free change.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 1:04 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
I can't begin to understand the strategies outlined above to trick the system into allowing a charge-free change.
Do OLCI again at T-3. Should allow you to move to a window seat without payment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.