Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TAP [TP] privatisation thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2012, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rurouni212
From what I recall, Gérman Efromovich supposedly holds a polish passport (I think CAPA mentioned it). If that option isn't available, they could figure out something via a holding company. Avianca wouldn't have gone for this if they didn't already have a plan on how to address the shareholder issue.
Don't under-estimate the problem. It would not be the first time that a merger/acquisition in the airline sector fails due to regulatory issues.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 9:07 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus: Premier Silver
Originally Posted by NickB
Don't under-estimate the problem. It would not be the first time that a merger/acquisition in the airline sector fails due to regulatory issues.
It is a significant hurdle but, again, I do not believe they are walking in blind, making it up as they go. If nothing else, the Portugese government thinks there's a way for this to be done.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: BD the last decent FFP
Synergy submitted the final proposal to buy TP.
It's said to be around 1.5bio EUR. Government net profit from the operation is said to be around 20mio EUR.
Decision expected on the 20th of Dec.
Government is desperately looking to raise money to comply with Troika (EU/ECB/IMF) Bailout conditions.
This will be a tough one. Sell and make no money but clean the debt of TP. Not selling and lose an opportunity but keeping an asset (!) for future use.

http://centreforaviation.com/news/sy...roposal-193297

GBM
Old Dec 20, 2012, 2:01 am
Original Poster

Today is D day for the sale of TAP. The government is supposed to accept or reject the offer from Synergy.
Publico newspaper did a decent interactive overview here [PT only]

Let's see if all these TP threads end up in the Avianca forum.
GBM
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Bid from synergy was rejected
Old Dec 20, 2012, 2:00 pm

So who steps in now?

IAG might take another look, Qatar or Etihad might look to again expand their portfolio, or perhaps Lufthansa is forced to make a move.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 1:29 am
Original Poster

The news in the Portuguese press today are the intention of selling TAP before the end of 2014 is still valid.
The official statement is that there seems to have been a lack of bank guarantees from the Synergy group. Although the unofficial version is that the government was unhappy at only getting net 35mio EUR for the transaction and workers as well as opposition parties were hammering on this.
The final offer was in the range of 1.5 bio EUR:
35mio net to the government
316 mio for capital investment (So in effect synergy was keeping the money)
> 1 bio to pay for debts

Links here and here [PT only]

I think it should have been sold.
GBM
Old Dec 25, 2012, 6:23 pm
tff

Programs: FB LTPE, TP Gold, All Gold
Originally Posted by GBM.flights
I think it should have been sold.
You refer to the proposed purchase conditions and not to the airline being sold without bank guarantees, right?
Old Dec 26, 2012, 8:26 am
Suspended

Programs: CX MPO
Originally Posted by rurouni212
So who steps in now?

IAG might take another look, Qatar or Etihad might look to again expand their portfolio, or perhaps Lufthansa is forced to make a move.
it seems that Etihad has its pocket full with a series of acquisition, furthermore wouldn't bet their intervention in what is essentially considered AF/KL backyard. Lufthansa bid appears to me too risky, even for the rather lax european antitrust, plus they are going to a period of restructuring in parts of their group. This leaves IAG and QR, perhaps in a joint venture they may be able to snatch TP from either ST or * lock.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 1:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tff
You refer to the proposed purchase conditions and not to the airline being sold without bank guarantees, right?
Right. I think Efromovich got overly confident he was going to get it due to the pressure the Portuguese government is under to sell. I think the noise around his political contacts (i.e. The (in)famous Relvas) and the fact he did not present a crispy clean bank guarantee (for 35 mio EUR only) on the date came out to bite him in the end.

GBM
Old Jan 7, 2013, 8:49 am

When TAP does go back up for sale, is synergy allowed to bid again? Perhaps they come back with a better deal.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 12:54 am
Original Poster

New schedule seems to be a relaunch as of May according to Portuguese newspaper Sol [PT only]

GBM
Old Mar 12, 2013, 7:48 am
Original Poster

According to CH-Aviation
Avianca Brasil (O6, Rio de Janeiro Santos Dumont (SDU)) is reportedly in the process of preparing a second bid for Portuguese national carrier TAP Portugal (TP, Lisbon Portela de Sacavem (LIS)) after a first bid had failed in December when the Portuguese government decided not to sell TAP to Avianca Brasil parent Synergy Aerospace. Synergy owner Gérman Efromovich has met with the Brazilian government to get support for a proposed second bid, this time by Avianca Brasil, according to aeroTELEGRAPH and Folha de São Paulo. Synergy Aerospace is the majority shareholder in Avianca-TACA and fully owns Avianca Brasil.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by GBM.flights
According to CH-Aviation
Lisbon was a-buzz with this at the weekend. The Chavez funeral, it seems, was the venue for some hard talking and gentle arm twisting.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 3:12 am
Original Poster

Indirectly linked to the TP sale, CAPA did the work for the future owner with this benchmark study on productivity.

The third slide -"European airlines Available Tonne Kilometres (‘000) per employee", seems to paint a picture of too many ground-based employees, similar the to LH comment made (they break it into flying segment and total group)
And the too many employees picture seems to be consistent with the 5th slide - European airlines revenue (EUR) per employee. Worst in class.

GBM

Last edited by GBM.flights; Apr 19, 2013 at 3:17 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.