Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TAP [TP] privatisation thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2012, 2:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: BD the last decent FFP
Leading Portuguese weekly newspaper Expresso mentions VS and DL as being interested in TP.

GBM
Old Aug 30, 2012, 8:38 am

Programs: Emirates gold *alliance silver jet airways platinum tridentprivilege gold.
LATAM seems to be a good dea Portugal is well on the way to becoming a province of Brasil, why not go with the flow and retain lusaphone links through the merger of the provincial and metropolitan flag carrier?
Old Sep 18, 2012, 2:18 am
Original Poster

The first round of bids were due friday 14th. According to the WSJ Luthansa and IAG are out of the race.

And according to, Portuguese newspaper Publico, there were only 3 companies bidding, being Avianca one of them [PT link only]

GBM
Old Sep 18, 2012, 2:24 am

Last edited by angatol; Mar 1, 2015 at 1:39 am
Old Sep 18, 2012, 10:19 am
tff

Programs: FB LTPE, TP Gold, All Gold
Originally Posted by GBM.flights
The first round of bids were due friday 14th. According to the WSJ Luthansa and IAG are out of the race.

And according to, Portuguese newspaper Publico, there were only 3 companies bidding, being Avianca one of them [PT link only]

GBM
Avianca has announced that they are out of the race after all. Source: Diário Económico, via Bloomberg.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 2:41 pm
tff

Originally Posted by tff
Avianca has announced that they are out of the race after all. Source: Diário Económico, via Bloomberg.
Gérman Efromovich, chairman of Avianca Taca, has now clarified that Avianca isn't running for the bid, but that the holding Synergy Group is actually one of the competitors.

Source: Jornal de Negócios.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 6:22 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by angatol
I hope so, as I've got 230 miles going to waste in my TAP account
Oh well it seems after BMi IAG is giving up on TAP!
Old Sep 20, 2012, 9:33 am

Programs: Emirates gold *alliance silver jet airways platinum tridentprivilege gold.
I thnk everyone except brazil has given up on Portugal, and on TAP, let's just get on with the takeovers,,,
Old Sep 21, 2012, 5:42 am
tff

For those interested, and who can read Portuguese, the law that establishes the privatization procedure of TAP has been published today in the official journal: http://dre.pt/pdf1sdip/2012/09/18400/0533505338.pdf.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 2:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tff
Gérman Efromovich, chairman of Avianca Taca, has now clarified that Avianca isn't running for the bid, but that the holding Synergy Group is actually one of the competitors.

Source: Jornal de Negócios.
Leading weekly newspaper Expresso published an ambiguous piece where it stated German Efromovich offer as being the only eligible one. [PT only]

GBM
Old Oct 18, 2012, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Leading weekly newspaper Expresso published an ambiguous piece where it stated German Efromovich offer as being the only eligible one. [PT only]

GBM
Reuters confirms Avianca as the only bidder.

GBM
Old Nov 5, 2012, 9:27 am
Original Poster

Single bidder is the Synergy group (Avianca):
CAPA link

Let's see how quickly they can morph Victoria into Lifemiles

GBM
Old Nov 10, 2012, 3:33 am

Let's see how quickly they can morph Victoria into Lifemiles
Very quickly, I hope. This could become the solution for the replacement of my SEN card with another *A Gold.
I have to re-qualify for SEN in 2013, and it's just not worth it anymore. I'll get almost the same advantages with *Gold. And Lifemiles looked interesting, but geographically not very convenient. (Victoria OTH is not even worth mentioning... )
Old Nov 10, 2012, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can't quite see how they could become a majority shareholder given the regulatory issues. Control over the airline would have to remain in European hands if TAP is not to lose traffic rights left, right and centre. I suspect that this might run for a while before a satisfactory solution is found.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 11:13 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus: Premier Silver
Originally Posted by NickB
Can't quite see how they could become a majority shareholder given the regulatory issues. Control over the airline would have to remain in European hands if TAP is not to lose traffic rights left, right and centre. I suspect that this might run for a while before a satisfactory solution is found.
From what I recall, Gérman Efromovich supposedly holds a polish passport (I think CAPA mentioned it). If that option isn't available, they could figure out something via a holding company. Avianca wouldn't have gone for this if they didn't already have a plan on how to address the shareholder issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.