Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > TAP Air Portugal | Miles&Go
Reload this Page >

TAP "offers" upgrades via online auctions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TAP "offers" upgrades via online auctions

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2022, 5:21 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
Upgrade bid accepted, now TAP site says it can't find my booking

Somewhat to my surprise--the $645 I bid was at the boundary between the yellow and orange parts of that Plusgrade gauge--TAP accepted my upgrade bid for tomorrow's IAD-LIS flight. Now I would like to select my seat, but when I plug in the confirmation code and my last name it reports "Booking not found!" (The exclamation point is such a nice touch, really.) I can't plug in the ticket number because it's a travel-agent-booked ticket and the e-mail TravelPerk sent doesn't include that. The reservation is there when I use the check-in function and shows the upgrade confirmed, but that page also says at the top:

"WARNING: No journey available
None of the journeys retrieved are available, please contact an agent at the airport"

I'm calling TAP, but Google's phone app estimates a 55-minute wait. What do you all expect will happen when the check-in window opens later tonight? I suppose I can always get to IAD earlier than I planned, since I will have Polaris Lounge access, but I'd rather get the seating squared away sooner.

Update: After “only” 30-ish minutes on hold, a TAP agent was able to get me a seat assignment; when I checked in without issue half an hour ago, I saw four other seats open upfront, including one of the “throne” seats that I then took. Perhaps I overbid?

Last edited by DCA writer; Oct 29, 2022 at 10:15 pm
Old Oct 30, 2022, 6:21 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I am not seeing anything odd here, usually those seats would be available via Online Check-in on Amadeus where the seating module is straightforward and easy. Best not to panic with TAP when things look odd, mostly it all works.

I don't think you overbid, or if you did not by much. They do tend to leave a seat or two for last minute purchasers, and/or SeatBoost and/or check-in upgrades and/or the facility to use miles at the gate for upgrades. The usual range is $400 to $700, which if you add in the original economy fare gets you to $1000 plus, and that's the cheapest Executive fare for the Atlantic sectors if purchased in the first instance.
DCA writer and Aired like this.
Old Oct 31, 2022, 5:24 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I’m booked on TAP for Wednesday LISMAD and submitted a bid for upgrade. I’ve never gotten an email about acceptance or denial, but in the checkin process it asks:

Before you checkin would you like to get upgraded?

Below that it has my bid amount. I want to say “Yes” but there is no option to do so. Just “No thanks, continue to checkin”.

is there a way to prompt the Yes or am I missing something about this process. it’s my first time, so perhaps I’ve missed a step?
Old Nov 2, 2022, 1:24 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I'm hoping this was just a timing issue. Normally Plusgrades are resolved 1 or 2 days before departure, so Tuesday would have been the day. That said LIS-MAD isn't a great route for upgraded travel, simply because it's so short.
Old Nov 9, 2022, 7:02 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I'm hoping this was just a timing issue. Normally Plusgrades are resolved 1 or 2 days before departure, so Tuesday would have been the day. That said LIS-MAD isn't a great route for upgraded travel, simply because it's so short.
True that, but this was operated by an A321LR with transatlantic lie flat that I was hoping to sample. In the end no problem - we had great exit row seats on a full flight and it was over before we knew it. Just such an odd way to manage a bid process.
Old Nov 9, 2022, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by MDWCommuter
True that, but this was operated by an A321LR with transatlantic lie flat that I was hoping to sample. In the end no problem - we had great exit row seats on a full flight and it was over before we knew it. Just such an odd way to manage a bid process.
If you don't enter a bid at all, then TAP sometimes offer a flat rate proposal at online check-in.
Old Nov 14, 2022, 8:13 am

I'm trying to upgrade a flight from AMS to LIS and i've been getting an error for the past few days:

We were unable to process your request. Please consider the following:
  • Confirm the credit card details inserted
  • Use a different credit card
  • Contact your payment provider
  • Try again at a later time
I called my CC and they don't see any transaction attempts. I called the 800# and they couldn't support me. I changed browsers. My details are correct. What should I try next?
Old Nov 14, 2022, 11:49 am

There may be a case for doing nothing. If you don't enter into the bidding process you may well be offered a flat rate upgrade cost at OLCI.
Old Nov 24, 2022, 4:02 am

Hi All - I'm travelling from ORD to LIS in December with 2 toddlers and my wife and I want to attempt the bid upgrade and I have a few questions:
  1. What have been winning bid amounts in the past for those that did that leg?
  2. Can I do it for multi passengers on the same itinerary?
  3. Is there a chance that we would be split up?
Thanks in advance!

Tom
Old Nov 24, 2022, 12:27 pm
tff

Programs: FB LTPE, TP Gold, All Gold
Originally Posted by tschapira
Hi All - I'm travelling from ORD to LIS in December with 2 toddlers and my wife and I want to attempt the bid upgrade and I have a few questions:
  1. What have been winning bid amounts in the past for those that did that leg?
  2. Can I do it for multi passengers on the same itinerary?
  3. Is there a chance that we would be split up?
Thanks in advance!

Tom
Hi Tom,
No idea in what 1 is concerned and the answer to 2 and 3 is yes. Regarding 3, taking into account that your offer will only be accepted or rejected around 48h or 36h before departure, by that time many of the seats might have been taken, which means you will be left with leftover seats.
I'm not sure, however, if your children are eligible for plusgrade. Its terms and conditions mention that "The passenger who makes the bid must have an airline ticket that is confirmed and acquired for a certain flight operated by TAP Air Portugal and must be at least 18 (eighteen) years of age". This might mean that only you can place the bid or that only adults are eligible to be upgraded, depending on the interpretation.
Old Feb 12, 2023, 11:33 am

Programs: Used to have a bunch of shiny metallic cards. That was one life ago.
Upgrade Auction Advice Please

I am flying LIS-MIA later this month. Never done an upgrade auction before. I'm definitely going to upgrade- the question is when. Current starting bid is US$610 on plusgrade. Pull the trigger now or wait? How much lower might it go? Avail shows C8 on EF. TIA.
Old Feb 12, 2023, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by jbatl
I am flying LIS-MIA later this month. Never done an upgrade auction before. I'm definitely going to upgrade- the question is when. Current starting bid is US$610 on plusgrade. Pull the trigger now or wait? How much lower might it go? Avail shows C8 on EF. TIA.
I've taken the liberty of moving your post into this thread, since there are a lot of data points here. Broadly speaking the general pattern I see upthread is that people put a bid in either at the minimum or just above. You will get a better view of plausibility closer to departure, but TAP does tend to keep a seat or two back for late cash buyers. You will typically hear whether you have been successful a day or two from departure, and at that stage there is a Seatboost separate auction process, see the relevant thread on that. If you don't put any bid in, and there are still seats that TAP want to sell (noting oversales in Economy too) then at OLCI you may be offered a fixed price upgrade option, which is less hassle-some.

CWS/mod.
Old Feb 12, 2023, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I've taken the liberty of moving your post into this thread, since there are a lot of data points here.
Many thanks, as I had not seen this thread. I’m going to fire in a starting bid tonight and I’ll update w what happens.
Old Feb 13, 2023, 8:45 am

I bid $640 which put the line between red and orange. We will see.
Old Apr 16, 2023, 1:32 pm

What fare code do bidding upgrades go to? Afraid to go from my 0,5x Economy miles to 0x Business miles with some fare class not giving any miles for Miles & More

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.