Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

"Good Deal" premium fares...

Old Jun 6, 2009, 6:07 pm
Original Poster

Hi the following topic is already stuffed with more than 3000 articles.

It wasn't quite a smart idea so I delete it.
Sorry for posting it.

Last edited by kanapee; Jun 7, 2009 at 3:37 am Reason: Point of view changed
Old Jun 7, 2009, 1:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
I don't support such a move because it would make it easier for airlines to see these fares and eliminate them.

The FT rule, unfortunately, is that when a deal is posted on FT, it usually disappears quickly--even fares that have been published for years. When fares are "hidden" in the omnibus Premium Fares thread, they tend to stick around a little longer.
Old Jun 7, 2009, 2:54 am

Programs: Flying Blue, bmi, LH, UA, DL, AS, WN, AA, VX
I agree with MatthewLAX, there is a tradeoff between "ease of use" and finding a great fare. Of course we all want everything out there to see, but we should not want that in exchange for a very short window in which to purchase tickets.

I was in favor of a separate forum on premium fares, UNTIL I got the hang of finding them, now the work involved in finding huge savings is not as daunting as it once was.
Old Jun 7, 2009, 3:35 am
Original Poster

Hi and thx for your replies. I didn't think of it in that way and I have to admit you're right. So sorry for bringing up that idea, I rather stick with the old topic + cheap fares.

Thx for contributing to this idea!
Old Jun 7, 2009, 3:44 am

Programs: BA Gold A3 Gold DL Gold VY apologist
I agree with the previous two posters - leave it as it is.
Old Jun 7, 2009, 11:08 am

Programs: AA PLT/5MM; AS MVP GLD 75K; DL DM; EK SLV; HHonors DIAM; Marriott GLD
I reluctantly agree, as well. On balance, we probably benefit from the difficulties of having all the posts lumped in one thread.
Old Jun 7, 2009, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

But we could consider a much smaller thread, which the moderator could close after about 50 or 100 pages.

Therefor old specials would not show up anymore on the thread.
Old Jun 8, 2009, 4:15 am

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
Originally Posted by kanapee
But we could consider a much smaller thread, which the moderator could close after about 50 or 100 pages.

Therefor old specials would not show up anymore on the thread.
Sometimes these old fares reappear. It is a lot more work for the mods to constantly shuffle things to and fro. I am used to the old system and don't think any changes are in order.
Old Jun 8, 2009, 7:04 am

Programs: BA Gold A3 Gold DL Gold VY apologist
We're talking about moderation techniques now, which are not the purview of the talkboard.
Old Jun 8, 2009, 8:03 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by alanw
We're talking about moderation techniques now, which are not the purview of the talkboard.
Concur.

As to the sometimes cumbersome task of wading through the pages: it's usually worth it.

Starting with the end of the thread and working backwards usually gives a pretty clear idea of what's currently available without having to read too much...
Old Jun 8, 2009, 1:40 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

I was opposed to the re-organization a few years ago which split the MR Forum (into MR, MR discussion, and Hotels), and I am also opposed to this proposed re-organization. I think the current MR forum sees a lot less traffic than it used to, and I would fear that a further dilution (i.e., more sub-forums) would make the forums less rather than more user-friendly. In addition, such a move would be sure to increase moderator workloads (right now, I'd estimate that some 75% of Report Bad Post messages we receive are related to threads posted in the wrong sub-forum).
Old Jun 8, 2009, 2:26 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
If it isn't broken, don't fix it -- and as far as I'm concerned, I am of the opinion that the current approach works for me just fine as is.
Old Jun 8, 2009, 2:44 pm
kjh

3000+ replies going back to 2006 is TOO MANY

Perhaps a relatively simple solution would be to peel-off a calendar year's worth of replies that are older than the current year and/or the just past year (in this case 2006 and 2007 would be put in an "archive" thread) thus always keeping at least one year's worth of replies in the current thread. Then at the end of each subsequent year, the next year's worth of replies would be moved to the "archive" thread. This might keep the current thread somewhat reasonable in length and also minimize the work (possibly could even be automated) associate with the annual "house cleaning".
Old Jun 8, 2009, 3:34 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
As someone else said, it is very easy to just start reading the thread from the last post and work backwards.... Keeping everything in one thread also makes it easier to search on a single thread.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.