Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Archived: Should there be a dating forum within FT? (v 1.0)

Old Oct 2, 2014, 3:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The newest version of this thread, with a new discussion about this topic, may be found here: Should there be a dating forum on FT? (v 2.0)
Print Wikipost

Archived: Should there be a dating forum within FT? (v 1.0)

Old Apr 25, 2009, 7:25 am

I'm just strolling through a few of these TBT threads since I haven't been here in a while. I would put this thread's suggestion in the 'no' category.

Now for the trolling part. The great womanizers of the world hunt alone (no wingmen and such). In addition they don't prey on packs, but single out their prey one-on-one, so they don't need some internet thingy to corral up prospects for them. Be more sophisticated about your endeavors and do your own legwork. Sheesh!
Old Apr 25, 2009, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Martinis at 8
I'm just strolling through a few of these TBT threads since I haven't been here in a while. I would put this thread's suggestion in the 'no' category.

Now for the trolling part. The great womanizers of the world hunt alone (no wingmen and such). In addition they don't prey on packs, but single out their prey one-on-one, so they don't need some internet thingy to corral up prospects for them. Be more sophisticated about your endeavors and do your own legwork. Sheesh!
I agree with you.

No dating forum. If you meet someone from FT you have met someone from FT.
Old May 3, 2009, 1:36 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Wirelessly posted (Palm TX: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D050; Blazer/4.3) 16;320x448)

I thought Omni and PMs were for that.
Old May 4, 2009, 7:25 pm

I think its a great idea, Ah Love! Unfortunately I am married and would not in my right mind participate... hmmm so who is to object if something just popped in the Omni?

If there are no objections keep your eyes open for the Match Maker Thread to pop up there....

would that be doable?
Old May 18, 2009, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Seems that one of the airlines had the same idea. If you're in New Zealand or might want to be, check out this article in Wired.

And what ever happened to that site that was going to match travelers with similar interests on the same flight, so they could sit (or more) together?

(As it happens, I met a woman whom I dated for some time through FT. Old-timers may remember that we came to a couple of Dos together. Prior posts in this thread suggest that this experience wasn't unique. We didn't need a dating forum. I don't think FT should have one.)
Old Jul 19, 2009, 7:59 pm

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
Originally Posted by GK
i'll even host the first event here in BCN.. any volunteers ?
BCN is a great singles destinations and an opportunity for a singles DO definitely exists. Same with my home town.

As for a Singles forum, I fail to see the need for this. OTOH, a Men's Travel Forum is still needed and could suggest such issues from the male perspective as the Women's Travel forum allows the ladies.

Last edited by Mrp Alert; Jul 19, 2009 at 8:13 pm
Old Jul 19, 2009, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
Seeing as this is raised again - I don't see dating being a topic suitable for a forum, in the sense of other mileage-related forums.

Who knows, some FTer(s) with the time and compulsion might want to research whether the FT owner might want to do something about forum dating.
It's an option IB could consider as a pool across its forums - as a feature external to and unrelated to the core forums, natch.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 7:50 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by Spiff
As one of your TB representatives, I have no intention of supporting such a forum.
+1
Old Mar 28, 2010, 9:43 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by Mofomat
The problem is that if you go on a dating or swingers website, less then 1% will know what an EQM is. Which makes the chances of finding a pretty young lady who at least shares your interest in EQM's very small indeed.
So why don't you go to those sites and set up a subsection or group or whatever for frequent travelers?
Old Mar 29, 2010, 6:10 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Part of me says maybe a good idea. The other part wants to say, "get a life" FT isn't everything for everyone. Branch out and discover different websites or even interact with other people in real life. One of the dangers of technology is losing the personal connections and social skills IMO.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yosithezet
So why don't you go to those sites and set up a subsection or group or whatever for frequent travelers?
You are aware that the last post in the thread before yours was 7 months old and the post you quote over a year old? (moreover, the poster in question has been suspended).
Old Mar 29, 2010, 9:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by schley
Part of me says maybe a good idea. The other part wants to say, "get a life" FT isn't everything for everyone.
I'm with that other part of you; FT shouldn't try to be all things to all users.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 10:08 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by NickB
You are aware that the last post in the thread before yours was 7 months old and the post you quote over a year old? (moreover, the poster in question has been suspended).
Tell that to the folks at The Gate that referred to this thread just the other day.
Old Apr 27, 2010, 2:58 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by schley
Part of me says maybe a good idea. The other part wants to say, "get a life" FT isn't everything for everyone. Branch out and discover different websites or even interact with other people in real life. One of the dangers of technology is losing the personal connections and social skills IMO.
That FT shouldn't try to be everything for everyone is taken, but your supporting and concluding statements don't really follow from that.

Given the enormous amount of information from outside sources exchanged and talked about here FTers present themselves as intensely curious about the world and by extension other webspaces. Using available technology to share info and make virtual connections has always been a step in making real time connections and maintaining one's social skills -- now and before the Internet. If that weren't so FT Community would have never come into existence. (And isn't wanting to date the very epitome of trying to get a life? )

What's the harm in creating a lounge thread or subforum in Community for non-Do, non-emergency travel related convo?

Last edited by essxjay; Apr 27, 2010 at 3:11 pm
Old Apr 27, 2010, 4:27 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
I ldon't mind this idea -

Originally Posted by essxjay

What's the harm in creating a lounge thread or subforum in Community for non-Do, non-emergency travel related convo?

but an official dating forum - no way!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.