Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Petition: Allow posting of one own's website in their signature line

Petition: Allow posting of one own's website in their signature line

Old Aug 14, 2008, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by skofarrell
The world is not black and white. I have no problem with the Lurker's sig.
Then don't you think the rules should be re-written?
Old Aug 14, 2008, 3:42 pm

Frankly, I object to Lurker's "signature" because it's added to the text, it's not placed in the signature area. Virtually nobody else does this.

I have signatures turned off in my preference. How do I turn off a signature that's not a signature? If people are putting signatures in the message text in order to avoid signature blocking, that's not right.

While we're on the subject: What's the deal with all the "wirelessly posted" messages? Isn't that a type of advertising?
Old Aug 14, 2008, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
Originally Posted by Bobster
While we're on the subject: What's the deal with all the "wirelessly posted" messages? Isn't that a type of advertising?
So to understand, you'd seek to prohibit users from posting to FT from their BlackBerry or other mobile device?
Old Aug 14, 2008, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by chexfan
Then don't you think the rules should be re-written?
I said I had no problem with William's sig.
Old Aug 14, 2008, 4:54 pm

Flyertalk is my first modern IBB that I really frequented so I as accustomed to no attachments or commercial links, etc. I have recently ventured into other IBBs and have to say that I really do like FT's clean look and I don't feel like I'm constantly getting spammed.

I put a link to my facebook page in my signature for about 2 weeks a while ago before taking it out. I realized it goes against a lot of the anonymity that FT offers us.
Old Aug 14, 2008, 5:11 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by chexfan
"Thanks for voting in the 20th Annual Freddies! "
Actually, it is:
Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]

Interestingly enought it also goes against the "Limit your signature to two lines." rule.
First of all, what William put in his "personal signature" is his email address. That's not a commercial link to his own website.

Technically speaking, William's "official FT signature" in the public profile is "Thanks for voting in the 20th Annual Freddies!", as skofarrell clearly pointed out. That signature is a one-liner. Nothing against TOS, IMHO.

What chexfan questioned is the "personal signature" of Starwood Lurker. Our FT wisdom is not to put your email in any of your post to avoid spam. Yet, William chose to have his work email shown ^.
He's a travel employee who "works" in a forum on FT. His sig denotes who he is and that what he's posting is "fact" vs "conjecture".

A lot different than someone wanting to shill something, like, say Amway via a link on a sig.

The world is not black and white. I have no problem with the Lurker's sig.
+1.

I don't see any problem with William's personal signature either, for the above quoted reason.
Old Aug 17, 2008, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
I said I had no problem with William's sig.

Out of curiosity then, it appears that a member here who runs or works for a travel agency is free to sign each post as follows, with no Moderator intervention? In the Air Canada forum at least, it appears to be perfectly permissible to forum mod skofarrell? :

Best regards,

William R. Flanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
El Cheapo Deluxe Discount Travel Agency

[email protected]

(Note to mods - I checked, and site above does not exist. )

I personally think the no links to your workplace rule is fine. That's the current rule, and most adhere to it.

I have a huge stamp dealing website and do not use that in my signature line.

Glen

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.