Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

(Voting Completed: Motion Passed) Creation of a Travel Products Forum?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

(Voting Completed: Motion Passed) Creation of a Travel Products Forum?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2008, 4:33 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
To help frame the question for the TB:

I take it the pro of a luggage forum NOT being a subforum is the 'latest thread' thing. Any other pros/cons anyone can think of in making a regular forum vs a subforum?

While we are at it, if the determination is to make the new luggage/travel products a forum of its own, any thoughts on breaking travel photography out as its own forum rather than leaving it as a subforum at this time? OR should it stay a subforum?

Thanks as ever for the input, and thanks to Wharvey for brining this up (again).
Old Jan 1, 2008, 4:44 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Originally Posted by kokonutz
To help frame the question for the TB:

I take it the pro of a luggage forum NOT being a subforum is the 'latest thread' thing. Any other pros/cons anyone can think of in making a regular forum vs a subforum?

While we are at it, if the determination is to make the new luggage/travel products a forum of its own, any thoughts on breaking travel photography out as its own forum rather than leaving it as a subforum at this time? OR should it stay a subforum?

Thanks as ever for the input, and thanks to Wharvey for brining this up (again).

Matt,

I do not think the Travel Photography subforum is an issue for this motion.

I am not a fan of subforums... I do not think any of us knew how last threads would get treated with subforms when they were first created in the Mileage Run forum... I really cannot see any good reason for a sub forum vs a main forum at this time. I would love to know what advantages there are to a sub forum. In fact, I feel this format is actually not user friendly. If you look at the list of forums, you do not see the subforums at all... until you click on the parent forum. So, users would not even see the "Hotel Deals Forum" until they clicked on the "Mileage Run Deals". So, we are adding extra keystrokes for our users for no apparent benefit.

If the issue is to keep forums together... just adjust the Forum Title to keep it alphabetically together.

Let me be clear... I am not looking for a luggage forum. I am looking for a "Travel Products Forum" where luggage threads would go... but could also have travel shavers, packing/folding products, luggage tags, passport holders and the like.
Old Jan 1, 2008, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think this is an excellent idea.
Old Jan 1, 2008, 4:51 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
To another question posed here... I see no problem whatsoever for Travel Products geared SOLELY/primarily for Women to stay in the Women's Forum... at a minimum, might be nice to have a cross link so people who do not visit the women's forum might see the thread.

While personally I would like to see ALL travel products in one place... I can understand and appreciate the community feel that the Women's Forum has... and they talk about travel products almost more than in any other forum... with exception of Travel Technology.
Old Jan 1, 2008, 4:58 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by wharvey
Matt,

I do not think the Travel Photography subforum is an issue for this motion.

I am not a fan of subforums... I do not think any of us knew how last threads would get treated with subforms when they were first created in the Mileage Run forum... I really cannot see any good reason for a sub forum vs a main forum at this time. I would love to know what advantages there are to a sub forum. In fact, I feel this format is actually not user friendly. If you look at the list of forums, you do not see the subforums at all... until you click on the parent forum. So, users would not even see the "Hotel Deals Forum" until they clicked on the "Mileage Run Deals". So, we are adding extra keystrokes for our users for no apparent benefit.

If the issue is to keep forums together... just adjust the Forum Title to keep it alphabetically together.

Let me be clear... I am not looking for a luggage forum. I am looking for a "Travel Products Forum" where luggage threads would go... but could also have travel shavers, packing/folding products, luggage tags, passport holders and the like.
Understood (I was just using "luggage" as the short-hand for the idea...as I also assume that'll be one of the hottest topics in such a forum...but I promise not to do that anymore) and thanks for the insight, William.

The only reason I bring up Travel Photography is that it is already a subforum of TTechnology, and if we are going to say that subforums are bad then maybe we should clean that up at the same time and give it a 'regular' forum of its own...
Old Jan 1, 2008, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I really don't like subforums for the reason Wharvey mentioned - particularly how the last post is handled.

I think a Travel Products forum is a great idea that should stand on it's own, not as a subforum. I also think Travel Photography should be a stand alone forum
Old Jan 1, 2008, 5:40 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by Mary2e
I really don't like subforums for the reason Wharvey mentioned - particularly how the last post is handled.

I think a Travel Products forum is a great idea that should stand on it's own, not as a subforum. I also think Travel Photography should be a stand alone forum
I agree with Mary2e. I am in favor of a Travel Products Forum. Am opposed to a sub-forum.
Old Jan 1, 2008, 5:46 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by kokonutz
Upon reflection and hearing how much some folks are annoyed by subforums, perhaps Travel Products© is better as a stand alone category. The pro argument being we've got enough threads now to nicely populate it, and the amount of future discussion is likely to remain stable. (Or maybe more, what with the TSA's latest carry on fetish. )
Old Jan 1, 2008, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT

I agree with Mary2e as well. I happen to be obsessed with luggage and travel bags in general. I value the opinions of both men and women.
Old Jan 1, 2008, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sounds like a good idea.
Old Jan 1, 2008, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oldpenny16
I agree with Mary2e as well. I happen to be obsessed with luggage and travel bags in general. I value the opinions of both men and women.
Don't get me started on how many special purpose bags I own.

It will be nice to have a general purpose Travel Products forum.
Old Jan 1, 2008, 10:19 pm

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
I'd like to see Travel Photography broken out as well. I don't think it has enough visibility where it is and it's really a great forum with some *hugely* talented, creative and helpful users.
Old Jan 2, 2008, 8:04 am

Programs: DL GM

Originally Posted by oldpenny16
Originally Posted by birdstrike
Don't get me started on how many special purpose bags I own.

It will be nice to have a general purpose Travel Products forum.
I agree with the 3 of you that it would be great to have a separate Travel Products forum. At present, those discussions are much too scattered.

I also agree with those who think the Travel Tech forum should remain entirely separate.
Old Jan 2, 2008, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: La Ministreuse de Surréalisme, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat
I think a travel products forum makes complete sense. I don't think to look at Travel & Technology regarding bags - I go there when I need sim card help or which Bose headphone is highly regarded (though is Bose Travel Technology or a Travel Product?).
Old Jan 2, 2008, 10:54 am

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
Originally Posted by baglady
I think a travel products forum makes complete sense. I don't think to look at Travel & Technology regarding bags - I go there when I need sim card help or which Bose headphone is highly regarded (though is Bose Travel Technology or a Travel Product?).
*head spinning* I'm so confused....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.