FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TalkBoard Topics (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkboard-topics-382/)
-   -   Has the time come for a Fairmont forum? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkboard-topics/719976-has-time-come-fairmont-forum.html)

roadtripman Aug 7, 2007 8:58 am

Originally Posted by AJLondon (Post 8188936)
My response was based on roadtripman's justification for a separate forum based on the "upscale" nature of Fairmont. Points earning or not, in that case surely the right home might be inside (or as a sub-forum of) Luxury hotels.

FYI: Other loyalty programs like the Leader's Club (LHW) are quite easily discussed in the Luxury hotels forum too, without ruffling too many feathers. :p

Or do you not think of Fairmont as upscale enough to be there... :p :D

I wouldn't have a problem with is a sub-forum of the Luxury hotels forum. I wasn't implying Sheraton's don't have $500+ hotels, it's just that Fairmonts are all pretty high up in the price range (I don't think there is any sub $200 hotels in the entire chain). For that matter, I'm sure you could find a $200 Days Inn or $300 Ramada in the world :p

AJLondon Aug 7, 2007 9:08 am

Originally Posted by roadtripman (Post 8189027)
I wouldn't have a problem with is a sub-forum of the Luxury hotels forum. I wasn't implying Sheraton's don't have $500+ hotels, it's just that Fairmonts are all pretty high up in the price range (I don't think there is any sub $200 hotels in the entire chain). For that matter, I'm sure you could find a $200 Days Inn or $300 Ramada in the world :p

But I thought Delta hotels (with lots of sub $200 rates) were being included to boost the property numbers of the "Fairmont group" up to 120! :p

roadtripman Aug 7, 2007 9:42 am

Originally Posted by AJLondon (Post 8189095)
But I thought Delta hotels (with lots of sub $200 rates) were being included to boost the property numbers of the "Fairmont group" up to 120! :p

true enough - but, in any case, this is a chain/brand of hotels, and given that it is a chain, it might be useful to have its own forum. I'm not saying I'd do the same for, say, Omni Hotels who only have one-brand and very few properties.

seanthepilot Aug 7, 2007 10:03 am

Fairmont's Program Sucks. Anyone can tell you that. I think they want it to be terrible. The bean counters have so much power at Fairmont and they won't give you an inch, dispite loyalty. In fact, I keep looking at my President's Club account summary and I don't even think they award points. I haven't seen any accumulate in my account and I haven't seen anywhere that I could redeem. Do they even issue points?

Maybe a Fairmont Forum (or Fairmont group forum)'s presence would be the catalyst to the new awakening of a better program. For instance, If I have tier status at Fairmont, why isn't my status recognized when I stay at Raffles?

Another view on the forum is that many posts in the Hhonors and Starwood forums are not points program related. They may be informative, experience based,or may be questions and reviews. These posts do, however, fit in quite well and give each of the hotel forums a sense of how the Loyalty program is as well as the standards of service, quality of room, associated pitfalls, etc.

roadtripman Aug 7, 2007 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by seanthepilot (Post 8189444)
Fairmont's Program Sucks. Anyone can tell you that. I think they want it to be terrible. The bean counters have so much power at Fairmont and they won't give you an inch, dispite loyalty. In fact, I keep looking at my President's Club account summary and I don't even think they award points. I haven't seen any accumulate in my account and I haven't seen anywhere that I could redeem. Do they even issue points?

Maybe a Fairmont Forum (or Fairmont group forum)'s presence would be the catalyst to the new awakening of a better program. For instance, If I have tier status at Fairmont, why isn't my status recognized when I stay at Raffles?

Another view on the forum is that many posts in the Hhonors and Starwood forums are not points program related. They may be informative, experience based,or may be questions and reviews. These posts do, however, fit in quite well and give each of the hotel forums a sense of how the Loyalty program is as well as the standards of service, quality of room, associated pitfalls, etc.

I have no familiarity at all with their program, but I'd imagine with the money they rake in they would get very greedy with handing it out via points. I think they assume if you have the money to regularly stay there, you aren't really going to worry about saving points to redeem later on for a free stay.

I've always seen Fairmont as very elitist, and I generally only stay there on special romantic-getaway once-in-a-blue-moon if I'm feeling insane type occasions. But, nonetheless, I think a forum would be a good catalyst to getting people talking about the disadvantages and advantages of that program and hotel chain.

tcook052 Aug 12, 2007 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by Cholula (Post 8161781)
tcook052, if I were the sole voting TB member, you'd probably have your Fairmont Hotel forum. And the Qatar and Iberia airline folks might have theirs.

I'm in the "You build it and they will come" camp when it comes to creating forums for established hotel chains and airlines. Ones where we know FT'ers stay or fly and who have made a reasonable request backed up by some research that others will also support this forum.

I don't look for a specific number of posters who need to request a forum before I'll support the request. Quite often, some of these new requests just make sense because the hotel or airline has been around for quite awhile, has an established clientele and it makes me wonder why we haven't pro actively established a forum already.

With FT's member base growing from 15K when I joined to nearly 150K five years later and now surpassing 8 million posts, the need for organization is critical going forward.

Lumping Fairmont Hotel or Qatar Airline threads into an "All Other" category might have made sense five years ago with a much lower member base and far fewer total posts.

But I'm looking at these requests for new forums with an eye to the future and just a glance over my shoulder at what we did in the past. And I see a definite need for classification and organization of posts as we move forward and as we maintain our preeminence in the Internet's rank of travel websites.

In dealing with TB on requests for new forums, you're dealing with nine separate individuals who rarely vote as a block. Some think the egg came first, some think it was the chicken.

And some are focused on keeping procedures as they were in the past while others are taking a lot more liberal view on the creation of forums.

For the most part, this diversity on TB is a good thing for FlyerTalk. But it does make it frustrating for members when they request a new forum and that request is not immediately adopted.

What's the short-term workaround to your request? Try to find like-minded FT'ers who'll post here in support. And perhaps change you signature to link to this forum request thread.

I apologize for the long-winded reply to your post. If I'd had more time, I could have written a shorter answer. :)

I appreciate the input Cholula and I'm glad to see this topic took off somewhat while I was enjoying some Fairmont time on my way to/from OTP thanks to NW. ;)

We may debate whether Fairmont is luxury, how luxury, how many hotels it has and where and we may debate whether their PC programs sucks or not and while this thread is a good start, I'm still of the opinion that the time has come to talk of these many things in a new Fairmont only forum and so will do what I can to encourage my fellow FTers to lobby for its creation and hope for the best.

:)

schrapy2 Sep 7, 2007 6:46 am

I have had a chance to stay at quite a few Fairmont Hotels in the last year, and would appreciate a seperate forum where I could browse/post to once in awhile, particularly to learn from other's experiences on their stays, the Presiden't Club, and perhaps learn about some specials.

I wouldn't bother posting or reading any general forum with Fairmont content, as I simply don't feel like weeding through a whole bunch of content I'm not interested in, frequently enough. I beleive once a forum is set up, it will get much more traffic than was ever contributed in the general forum.

Fly2LAX Nov 14, 2007 6:03 pm

I think it would be nice to have a Fairmont Forum, given the following facts:

-There is not a massive but substantial amount of properties in North America

-Alot of questions regarding Fairmont arise in the "Luxury Hotels" section, that is ok for some properties but it is more reserved for Four Seasons or special hideaways.

-Many Fairmont related threads are opened under the Air Canada Aeroplan Forum since most members are also members of Aeroplan.

-Fairmonts Presidents Club is an excellent rewards programm with many benefits that deserves a bigger focus.

The points are just my 2 cents, of course ! :)

Use or see them as you like...

Cholula Nov 14, 2007 8:24 pm

Fly2LAX and those others who have posted, thanks for the input.

All feedback is welcomed and encouraged on this or any other matter affecting FT members.

seanthepilot Dec 5, 2008 11:38 pm

I'd still like to show my support for a Fairmont/Rafflles/Swisshotel forum. It could only add to FT. There are many individual threads that could be more easily organized if they had their own forum.

Tangoer Mar 15, 2009 6:09 pm

Yes, Fairmont is a large worldwide chain and deserves its own forum. For how long can FT ignore this hotel chain? Are the other chains paying sponsor/ad money to FT perhaps?

tcook052 Mar 15, 2009 6:25 pm

I think the time has come for a Fairmont/Rafflles/Swisshotel forum, especially in light of the luxury chain announcing it's bringing online another ten hotels this year alone.

bizaro86 Mar 16, 2009 4:37 pm

I'd like to add my voice to the request for a Fairmont hotels forum. It would make my Flyertalk experience much more streamlined, as currently I have to look for Fairmont posts in more than one place, which makes me (and I'm sure others) less likely to do it and less likely to participate. Since the chain has a bona fide loyalty program and a significant number of related posts, I'm not sure why this couldn't be done.

I echo the above "if you build it they will come" sentiments.

Michael

kell113 Apr 4, 2009 3:51 pm

I vote for a Fairmont forum! They are an interesting hotel with a HUGE variety of room types that I find necessary to know about before I book! For instance, the fairmont in San Francisco has SO many different layout of suites in the main building....which ones are the best???

sc flier Apr 5, 2009 4:42 pm

While I have only stayed at a couple Fairmonts (and walked on the lake in front of another), I also believe that many FTers would benefit from a dedicated Fairmont forum. This chain deserves this special attention.