Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amalgamation of London and UK & Ireland forums

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2007, 12:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Amalgamation of London and UK & Ireland forums

Given the degree of overlap between the UK & Ireland forum and the London sub-forum, I have floated the idea, and now just moved that these two forums be amalgamated. There doesn't seem to be any clear benefit to maintaining a separation between the two.

Comments?
Old Jul 19, 2007, 1:24 pm

One of the most sensible proposals I've seen in a long time! ^
Old Jul 19, 2007, 3:51 pm

I wholeheartedly agree. There's not enough traffic to merit two fora, and there's an awful lot of overlap between the two (eg should a thread about travel between MAN and LON be in London or in UK & Ireland?). Hopefully, if the Talkboard consolidates London and UK & Ireland into one forum, we might be able to tempt a few more of our BA brethren over...
Old Jul 19, 2007, 5:30 pm

Programs: BA
Here Here. ^^
Old Jul 19, 2007, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
I agree it is much more useful (for me) to see all information in one place, just in case info spanning both is in one place and not the other.

Compliments to everyone involved in that forum ^(UK & Ireland; I rarely look in the London one).
Old Jul 19, 2007, 5:54 pm

Major.
Brilliant.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
I never look at the UK forum but do look at London once a day to see if I can help anyone out.

To the extent that there are probably odd threads in the UK bit that I could also contribute to, posters would get a better service from me at least if they merged.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 3:17 am

Programs: BA, QR, OW loyal.
Good idea.

Like Raffles I post when I can assist in "London" but never check the UK & Ireland forum.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 1:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by phreegreens
Good idea.

Like Raffles I post when I can assist in "London" but never check the UK & Ireland forum.
Ditto here. I think it's a good idea.
Old Jul 21, 2007, 1:43 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Originally Posted by Raffles
I never look at the UK forum but do look at London once a day to see if I can help anyone out.

To the extent that there are probably odd threads in the UK bit that I could also contribute to, posters would get a better service from me at least if they merged.
I take the other view - I will only want to read the London Forum, rather than wade through all the UK&Ireland stuff. If I had to wade, I'd be less likely to find threads where I can help.
Old Jul 21, 2007, 3:22 am

Originally Posted by Markie
If I had to wade, I'd be less likely to find threads where I can help.
A good point, although given there are only 9 "active" (ie in the last 10 days) threads in UK & Ireland, your wellingtons wouldn't need to be very high to keep your feet dry!
Old Jul 22, 2007, 3:30 pm

^ to consolidation.

Another point that I once brought up in a BA thread, is that could there be a link to the UK forum at the top of the BA board, similar to how the London forum is linked at the top of the UK and Ireland forum. It could help bring more traffic to the forums and lower OT questions on the BA forum. If successful it could be used on other boards e.g Germany and LH.
Old Jul 22, 2007, 4:51 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by Markie
I take the other view - I will only want to read the London Forum, rather than wade through all the UK&Ireland stuff. If I had to wade, I'd be less likely to find threads where I can help.
Think of all the juicy titbits you would be able to share with visitors to the UK.

Almost every trip to the UK begins with navigational ponderings on internal connections and/or between the London airports and Kings Cross/St Pancras/Euston/Paddington et al and beyond.

This proposition makes a lot of sense.
Old Jul 22, 2007, 5:58 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
eh, you mean the UK exists outside of London too...!? Wingnut, is there really a world outside Zone 1 !?

Seriously though, the proposal does make a lot of sense. ^
Old Jul 23, 2007, 3:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
I'd also be happy to see a link to the UK forum at the top of the BA, VS and BMI boards, plus indeed similar links on the other European airline forums.

This would f..i..n..a..l..l..y, after the merger of travel and dining, plus the consolidation of the regional boards, get us into a position where there was a sensible degree of integration between the airline boards and their respective country boards, and would cut down on misposting (misposting defined as "not putting the post on the board most likely to generate a good response").

Last edited by Raffles; Jul 23, 2007 at 4:50 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.