Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Suggestion: Proposal For a 9W (Jet Airways (India)) Forum

Old Jul 17, 2007, 9:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat

To all the TalkBoard members and FT'ers at large:

As I have found many threads regarding Jet Airways (9w) being buried in the Other Asian Airlines Forum, I would like to propose a Jet Airways (India) forum now, as I think that Jet Airways has now achieved "critical mass" internationally, with its' maiden flight to EWR from BOM (via BRU) on 5 August 2007.

Further, 9w has been operating daily flights from BOM to LHR daily (even twice daily sometimes) and from other Indian cities, such as AMD, DEL and others. This does not include the daily service to Nepal, SIN, CMB, BKK & KUL (daily?)

From their website at: http://www.jetairways.com/Cultures/e...s/Our+Network/ , I quote: "With over 340 flights daily to 44 destinations in India we connect a place every 5 minutes."

We have a few members here that are currently quite active, and there are some of us that have flown Jet on occasion, and could also benefit from this segmented feedback.

I am sure that this participation will grow very soon, as more members will be able to enjoy the flights from North America to Europe/Asia (PVG planned) on 9w!

Please consider this request and I am sure that a lot of members will provide their support for the same!

Kind regards,

SuperFlyBoy

Edited to Add
: Please also note the takeover of Air Sahara by Jet, therefore consolidating their cooperated flight with AA into 9w for ORD-DEL direct
Old Jul 17, 2007, 12:21 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
SuperFlyBoy...thanks for starting this thread.

We've also started a parallel thread in our TalkBoard Forum to discuss this.

We look forward to input from the FT membership on this airline and the potential that it could be assigned it's own forum at some point in the future.
Old Jul 17, 2007, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by Cholula
SuperFlyBoy...thanks for starting this thread.

We've also started a parallel thread in our TalkBoard Forum to discuss this.

We look forward to input from the FT membership on this airline and the potential that it could be assigned it's own forum at some point in the future.
Thank you - awaiting positive feedback from the TalkBoard members! ^
Old Jul 17, 2007, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold
I cast my vote for separate Jet Airways forum

Jet Airways has established itself as a world class airlines with is product and customer service. It has made major forays into European, Asian and soon to North American Destinations.

Jet Airways has won Freddie Awards for the "Program of the Year - Japan, Pacific, Asia, Australia" category for 2006 beating the likes of SQ and EK. It has won other Freddie Awards in previous years.

A lot of FTers worldwide would be able to help each other with Jet Privilege related discussion with a dedicated forum for Jet Airways.

I request fellow FTers to cast your vote here for a separate Jet Airways Forum.

Thanks
Venkat
Old Jul 17, 2007, 1:26 pm

Programs: 9W Plat, EK Plat, Starwood Plat, Hilton Diamond
I cast my vote for separate Jet Airways forum

I travel from US to India regularly and all my colleagues that I know love to travel on 9W when they are in India. Comparisons to SQ and EK are rather regular.

The fact that 9W has done so well at the Freddie's is also testament to the fact that the people who travel 9W are ready to vouch for them.

I am sure there will be an ever increasing number of flier on 9W as they expand their operations to Belgium, USA, and Canada.

A separate forum would really help channel all these 9W flier into one place and be able to get the maximum value when when these flier come to FT.
Old Jul 17, 2007, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

Great stuff guys - keep your positive (and varied) points on this proposal coming! ^ ^

PS: Oh yes - and I do have some interesting threads/stickys (sp?) to immediately start for this new forum!
Old Jul 17, 2007, 8:30 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

There are only 2 posts discussing 9W on the first page of the Other Asian forum. If you don't include this thread, I can count the 9W related post the last 10 days on one hand. Not even close to have enough potential to have a good forum, not yet anyways.

9W has most of its flights domestic India and also have no major point earning opportunities for most FTers.

I would prefer to leave 9W where it is today
Old Jul 18, 2007, 12:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tommy777
There are only 2 posts discussing 9W on the first page of the Other Asian forum. If you don't include this thread, I can count the 9W related post the last 10 days on one hand. Not even close to have enough potential to have a good forum, not yet anyways.
I would say that we would have much more action than the recent Finnair addition...

9W has most of its flights domestic India and also have no major point earning opportunities for most FTers.
I would beg to differ:

LH Miles & More, TG ROP members can *earn* and *redeem* for flights on 9w.

Understand that recently code-sharing with Quantas is now active as well.

From Jet's webpage, stipulating earning and redeeming with Jet's program:

"Airline Partners
Air France
Austrian Airlines
Gulf Air
Jet Lite
KLM
Lufthansa
Northwest Airlines
Qantas
South African Airways
SWISS
THAI
British Airways (redemption partner only)"

Will research the rest, if required.

I also note that a recent FT'er flew from CMB to DEL using his FB KLM points, redeemed on 9w, in biz class...
Old Jul 18, 2007, 1:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Vote for a 9W forum

Please count me in too. 9W is one of the best new up and coming airlines in the world. Like superflyboy said they have a tie up with most of the major International airlines.

If you consider FT to be a worldwide tool for your members then you should include one of the best Airlines in the Asian region. Consider the fact that FT'ers living in the Asian region need this. Maybe the Europeans or Americans do not need a seperate thread but I really feel that we do.

Last edited by onlysuites; Jul 18, 2007 at 1:36 am
Old Jul 18, 2007, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
I would say that we would have much more action than the recent Finnair addition...
It might and might not. Finnair is also a booming carrier, just like Jet. But theres a huge difference: Finnair is a member of OW. That said, I'm not sure giving Finnair their own forum was the right thing to do, but it's already done.

As of now, Jet is a little part of a forum where there is enough action to make it interesting. If I'm going to India and I'm traveling domestic, I know exactly where to turn right now. I just don't think every domestic airline needs its own forum (I know Jet are expanding abroad..). We have decent traffic on Other Asian Airlines Forum and other forums where smaller airlines in a region are gathered. If we keep giving every specific airline their own forum, there will be less and less traffic making these forums less useful. I also can't see how an airline that has 2 threads and 6 posts in 10 days need their own forum.

I know Jet is booming, but it still doesn't change the fact that most FTers will not fly Jet a lot and will not join / use their FFP. As of now, they are a domestic Indian airline and most FTers will need help for flights domestic India. The Other Asian Airlines Forum is sufficient enough for that purpose.

I know they have great international plans, but that's not a good enough reason to claim a separate forum. The Jet traffic up till know does not IMO qualify for an own forum. If there were threads starting every day and many posts, I would reconsider.

I would beg to differ:

LH Miles & More, TG ROP members can *earn* and *redeem* for flights on 9w.

Understand that recently code-sharing with Quantas is now active as well.

From Jet's webpage, stipulating earning and redeeming with Jet's program:

"Airline Partners
Air France
Austrian Airlines
Gulf Air
Jet Lite
KLM
Lufthansa
Northwest Airlines
Qantas
South African Airways
SWISS
THAI
British Airways (redemption partner only)"

Will research the rest, if required.

I also note that a recent FT'er flew from CMB to DEL using his FB KLM points, redeemed on 9w, in biz class...
I know that you can earn miles on two *Airlines, but it's extra miles that doesn't count towards status. So for M&M members, it's a few extra miles when traveling within India, nothing else. LH flyers fly LH to India to earn status. Extra points means nothing to me. A flight from Europe or the US to India is a long flight with the ability to earn many EQMs. If a FTer is going to India, they will of course fly their home carrier or a carrier that gives EQMs

I know that Jets own program gives you the ability to earn on partners, but it's still not a program for a very large amount of FTers. Most FTers fly their own carriers to India to earn points or miles. Jet is not a revolution, people won't stop needing status on their home carriers they fly most of their flights on and start flying Jet to and from India.

I would give it a year and then reevaluate if Jet needs their own forum
Old Jul 18, 2007, 10:57 am
Original Poster

It might and might not. Finnair is also a booming carrier, just like Jet. But theres a huge difference: Finnair is a member of OW.
Jet is currently in negotiations to join OW.

However, as a current member of *A, I wrote to *A, protesting the fact that AI was to join, as well as indicating my preference to Jet regarding their joining OW instead of *A.

But, after having just experienced F on AA (after just flying LH F, btw), I think that OW may not be such a bad thing after all, amazingly!

Jet would also have a better chance of dominating the other OW carriers, which would be difficult if they joined *A.

As of now, Jet is a little part of a forum where there is enough action to make it interesting.
The reason is because not many of the Jet FF'ers have not been exposed to FT so far - this will change drastically in the coming weeks - don't underestimate this fact.

If we keep giving every specific airline their own forum, there will be less and less traffic making these forums less useful. I also can't see how an airline that has 2 threads and 6 posts in 10 days need their own forum.
If this is the actual criteria for this, I am sure that we can drum up support for this in a few months.

I know they have great international plans, but that's not a good enough reason to claim a separate forum.
Their "plans" will be *reality* in a few weeks, and you will see the Western world appreciate this airline - it just hasn't happened yet, but will!

Jet is not a revolution, people won't stop needing status on their home carriers they fly most of their flights on and start flying Jet to and from India.
Jet hails from a country where sold-out international flights (in J and F mostly) are the norm nowadays, and is "home" to over a billion people (and many non-resident Indians/other nationals of Indian extraction) - I wouldn't sell this country short... (amazingly, I am defending India, when I am it's biggest critic! )

Added: I also do not think that other country's nationals' participation is even needed for it to be considered on FT...
Old Jul 18, 2007, 11:53 am

SuperFlyBoy,

I would never sell India short. I love the people, I love the country and it's one of the worlds fastest growing economies.

That's not my point at all. I would use my argument the same way against all regional airlines with limited FT posts.

I'm not saying that Jet is a small carrier, in fact, I follow everything the carrier is doing with great interest.

But it doesn't change the fact that the Jet traffic on FT is not enough to separate it in to a separate forum. IMO, it's better to have Jet where it is today because if we keep separating more airlines from the Other Asian Carrier forum, the forum will be close to useless. There will be no traffic left, no one will be interested in the forum and our members will not get a prompt reply when the post a question regarding a smaller carrier.
Old Jul 18, 2007, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

SuperFlyBoy,

I would never sell India short. I love the people, I love the country and it's one of the worlds fastest growing economies.

That's not my point at all. I would use my argument the same way against all regional airlines with limited FT posts.

I'm not saying that Jet is a small carrier, in fact, I follow everything the carrier is doing with great interest.

But it doesn't change the fact that the Jet traffic on FT is not enough to separate it in to a separate forum. IMO, it's better to have Jet where it is today because if we keep separating more airlines from the Other Asian Carrier forum, the forum will be close to useless. There will be no traffic left, no one will be interested in the forum and our members will not get a prompt reply when the post a question regarding a smaller carrier.
Dear Tommy,

Thanks for your views, which are indeed appreciated.

However, I still hold my view that people can indeed be benefited by Jet having their own forum, and you will see that a premium carrier as this one will soon generate traffic.

I gather that the present (established) Forums are "thriving" (heavy traffic on FT), due to their FF'ers suffering from various problems (and thus, generating this substantial "traffic"), due to their loyalty to their home carriers, who accord almost no value to their customer's viewpoints, unlike Jet, who are able to provide amazing customer feedback to their premium, top-level flyers.

I can compare SK's CS feedback to Jet's, SQ's CS feedback to Jet's, as I have experienced this first-hand, and blows them away...SQ is still the best in the sky, but their on-ground experience is definitely not the same...SK is out of the (ball)park completely, and as the Danes try to salvage the situation, the rest of the company plows it's own path in the soil....(even further past the parking lot?)

Last edited by SuperFlyBoy; Jul 19, 2007 at 2:33 am Reason: Added the "CS" in the last para...
Old Jul 19, 2007, 2:10 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I am not a big fan of Jet Airway's frequent flyer program, regardless of our legendary host's involvement in its being.

I'm not opposed to a Jet Airways program forum but I'm neither a strong advocate of it's coming into being. Why? Because I think that there may be more to be gained from an "Indian airline's forum" -- one that should explicitly mention Jet Airways -- than a fragmentation of information about various Indian-based airlines into different forums, one for Jet Airways whle the rest of the information about Indian-based airlines gets spread thinner across FT.
Old Jul 19, 2007, 3:06 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
However, I still hold my view that people can indeed be benefited by Jet having their own forum, and you will see that a premium carrier as this one will soon generate traffic.
Unfortunately, at least one of the TalkBoard members (me) wants to see a demonstrated need as evidenced by copious posts about the carrier/subject in question in existing fora (like Asian, Australian and South Pacific Frequent Flyer Programs).

I counted 1 thread (at a glance) about Jet Airways.

That's not enough of a demonstrated need, as far as I am concerned. Other TalkBoard members may see things differently. However, that's my opinion on the matter.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.