Wiki Posts
Search

Petition for separate Malaysia Airlines Forum

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2006, 5:42 pm
Original Poster

Petition for separate Malaysia Airlines Forum

Hi,

as I have noticed MH is continually being posted in this forum and believe that MH should get its own Malaysia Airlines Enrich Forum. Please write your name below if you agree with me, as I find it annoying scrolling through other irrelevant airline posts when all you want is MH's.

Also, MH is becoming one of the largest airlines in the world and with the Asian, Australian and South Pacific forums being made up of around 30% of MH posts, I think it can have a forum on its own.

So, please start a new (I know MH had a forum but was closed due to low traffic, I assure you this time there will be a lot more posts) MH forum and all who agree please post your name below.

NOTICE: 4th DECEMBER 2006
Please read the following on how we can gain support for the forum:
At least one of the new TalkBoard members (Dovster) has repeatedly said that he will support a forum for any national flag carrier if 25 F/Ters both say that they are members of its frequent flyer program and will be regular contributors.

Let's take him up on that and see if he really meant it. None of us, so far, has met these requirements. I will start: I am a member of MH's frequent flyer program and I will be a regular poster on the forum.

I am asking 24 more people (even those who have already that they favor this forum) to make the same two statements.

If you want to be a member please write the following reply:
"I request to be a member and regular contributor to a separate MH forum"

I will most appreciate it if you can do that. Please pass this message on to others. We need 25 members in the next 1-2 months.

Thanks,
Josh

Last edited by josh2803; Dec 4, 2006 at 3:41 am
Old Aug 16, 2006, 5:44 pm
Original Poster

I will start if off by putting my vote down,
Josh2803
Old Aug 16, 2006, 6:32 pm

Programs: MH Enrich, VS FC, HH Gold, PC, SPG Gold, Marco Polo Gold, Accor Plat
I would like to also see a MH forum created
Old Aug 16, 2006, 8:56 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Thanks, folks.
It would also help if you could list your location and your travel schedule on MH.
We're trying to get a feel here for who flies them often and who uses them on just an occasional basis.
Old Aug 17, 2006, 2:42 am
Original Poster

hi,

I'm going to fly them on a regular basis. I am planning to fly them PER-KUL around 6 times in the next 3 months and then fly them 4 times in Dec/Jan
Old Aug 17, 2006, 7:07 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Count me in too! I am looking to travel with them 4-5 times a year on intra-Asia travel. It's a pity that they aren't part of any alliance as I would be traveling with them more often (keeping my fingers crossed for a Skyteam entry soon).
Old Aug 18, 2006, 8:24 am

Programs: MH Enrich, VS FC, HH Gold, PC, SPG Gold, Marco Polo Gold, Accor Plat
Hi,

I fly MH about twice a year. I am from Sydney. I usually fly SYD->KUL->LHR in C/J.

Cheers,
Kenn.
Old Aug 18, 2006, 2:28 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
Just in the planning stages right now: KHI-KUL-LGK-KUL-KHI in Jun 2007.
Old Aug 19, 2006, 8:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
I'm beginning to believe that 25 active members are enough to keep a forum going (along with the less active ones who would join in from time to time).

I have a feeling that if 25 F/Ters say they are members of any nation's flag carrier's Frequent Flyer program, and would post regularly on its forum, it should be given its own forum.
Old Aug 19, 2006, 12:43 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I use MH, although certainly nowhere near as much as most other carriers. For my flights in recent years MH's served me well between: the US and Sweden; Sweden and Malaysia; India and Malaysia; Argentina with South Africa. And MH did this all with non-stop flights. I don't much use its frequent flyer program, but the carrier has been good to me and I've definitely enjoyed redeeming miles on it -- via other airline's frequent flyer program. I'd use the forum.
Old Aug 19, 2006, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Originally Posted by Dovster
I'm beginning to believe that 25 active members are enough to keep a forum going (along with the less active ones who would join in from time to time).

I have a feeling that if 25 F/Ters say they are members of any nation's flag carrier's Frequent Flyer program, and would post regularly on its forum, it should be given its own forum.
Dovster, I'm skeptical but willing to be persuaded. Can you point me to a model forum on Flyertalk that you deem successful which has ~ 25 participants?

The other piece, of course, is that 25 people saying they'll post is not the same thing as having 25 regular posters.

I suspect you need orders of magnitude more than that. But I can be proven wrong with empirics.

(It would be useful at the same time to point to forums you deem unsuccessful in order to illustrate where you'd draw the line.)
Old Aug 19, 2006, 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by gleff
Dovster, I'm skeptical but willing to be persuaded. Can you point me to a model forum on Flyertalk that you deem successful which has ~ 25 participants?
Gleff, keep in mind that I didn't say 25 participants, I said 25 F/Ters who are both members of that airline's frequent flyer program and state that they will be posters there. I also restricted this to national flag carriers.

Take a look at the new El Al Forum. I think you will agree that it has been successful but a close inspection will show that just about 25 people are the frequent posters on it.

At the same time, many others visit it to ask about El Al, or the new terminal, or security at TLV, or Israeli charter airlines. They figure (often rightly) that El Al's frequent flyers will have the answers to these questions.

I think this would be true of any national flag carrier. If you were flying JFK-MXP on DL, but wanted info about Malpensa, you would be more apt to get get it on an AZ Forum than on the DL Forum.

And, yes, if I wanted to know about duty free shopping or passport hassles at Kuala Lumpur, I would head to a Malyasia Airlines Forum and ask the regulars there -- even if I were flying in on BA.
Old Aug 20, 2006, 12:03 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

I support fewer forums:including MH and AZ. I am in favor of keeping our forums clean. AZ fits into Western Europe just fine, as I believe that MH fits into Asia and I would not support a separate MH Forum. I see no compelling reason for MH to have a separate forum; didn't work the first time around.

Last edited by obscure2k; Aug 20, 2006 at 5:31 pm
Old Aug 20, 2006, 12:18 am

Originally Posted by obscure2k
I support fewer threads:including MH and AZ. I am in favor of keeping our forums clean. AZ fits into Western Europe just fine, as I believe that MH fits into Asia and I would not support a separate MH Forum. I see no compelling reason for MH to have a separate forum; didn't work the first time around.
It appears that, once again, we see things very differently.

I don't think having an MH or an AZ forum would make the site any less clean. In fact, I think it would be much simpler to find the info you are seeking if more flag carriers are given their own forums.

Take a look, for example, at the confusion about posting about Turkish Airlines as demonstrated on the linked thread.

The fact that a forum did not succeed when FlyerTalk had many fewer members does not mean that it wouldn't be worthwhile today.
Old Aug 20, 2006, 2:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dovster
I don't think having an MH or an AZ forum would make the site any less clean. In fact, I think it would be much simpler to find the info you are seeking if more flag carriers are given their own forums.

Take a look, for example, at the confusion about posting about Turkish Airlines as demonstrated on the linked thread.

The fact that a forum did not succeed when FlyerTalk had many fewer members does not mean that it wouldn't be worthwhile today.
I totally agree with you Dovster, it is frustrating trying to find info on a particular airline when it is all jumbled together with other airline posts.

Please set-up a new MH forum, the Asian forum is dominated by MH posts, therefore, a separate MH forum is required.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.