Reload this Page >

Suggestion: Rename NYC forum to "NYC & New Jersey" or "NYC Area"

Suggestion: Rename NYC forum to "NYC & New Jersey" or "NYC Area"

Old Aug 19, 2011, 9:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by bhatnasx
Completely supportive of this.
Agree. And please no drawn out name discussions to overly complicate things, just a quick fix for something that makes abundant sense.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Although I live in NJ and don't want it left out, calling it Greater NY Metropolitan Area or just NYC Metropolitan Area is most accurate, as that includes the 5 boroughs, North/Central Jersey, Long Island, Westchester, southern Connecticut...
Old Aug 19, 2011, 1:01 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
NYC Metro Area works for me, but then I've been known to end up on 112th or 120th when taking the subway from Times Square to Jamaica Station to catch the airtrain , so I'll defer to the locals' input

I'm supportive of the change once you figure out what you want it to be.

Cheers.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by nerd
Doesn't require debate, and TalkBoard voting, and all that crap. Problem solved in 5 minutes. ^
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/priva...o=newpm&u=3967

Otherwise, "TalkBoard voting and all that crap" will, by virtue of the issue being raised here, take place.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by nerd
Change the rather bizarre forum description from:

We don't think they named it twice, there's just an echo in this forum.

to something like:

This forum covers NYC and the greater metropolitan area.

Doesn't require debate, and TalkBoard voting, and all that crap. Problem solved in 5 minutes. ^
That's the best suggestion yet. That so-called forum "description" has always sounded at best silly and at worst moronic.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 7:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
Downstate and Joisy!

Greater NYC area would be my suggestion.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by neuron

Greater NYC area would be my suggestion.
How would you handle other NY tourist destinations such as the Catskills and Niagara Falls? Mid-Atlantic they're not.

Greater NYC Metro + the rest of the state. That would at least include eastern Long Island.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 9:17 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by Analise
That's the best suggestion yet. That so-called forum "description" has always sounded at best silly and at worst moronic.
Agreed fully with both you and nerd.

Also, I am somewhat put off by people who never even visit the NYC forum, let alone contribute anything to it, delivering their opinions. If you're not in the game, why talk about how to play?

It doesn't really matter what any of us think, though. In my experience, I would bet the decision has already been made as it was a few years ago when the Paris forum was renamed the France forum after about 15 minutes of FT "debate."
Old Aug 19, 2011, 9:48 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by Landing Gear
Also, I am somewhat put off by people who never even visit the NYC forum, let alone contribute anything to it, delivering their opinions. If you're not in the game, why talk about how to play?
Welcome to FT (& get used to it)!

Ever wonder why the discussion about lounges appeared in TB Forum? Did everyone who posted in said thread ever contribute to any lounge thread?

Last edited by lin821; Aug 20, 2011 at 12:06 am Reason: correction
Old Aug 20, 2011, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by dhammer53
How would you handle other NY tourist destinations such as the Catskills and Niagara Falls? Mid-Atlantic they're not.
Technically, they are. NYS is a mid-atlantic state. We're not New England.

Greater NYC Metro + the rest of the state. That would at least include eastern Long Island.
Eastern Long Island also isn't part of the Mid-Atlantic? Oh c'mon.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 6:23 am

It doesn't really matter what any of us think, though. In my experience, I would bet the decision has already been made as it was a few years ago when the Paris forum was renamed the France forum after about 15 minutes of FT "debate."
Look at the types of "decisions" they make. They seem to have lots of time on their hands to obsess over the minutia like the "importance" of post counts.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 6:43 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

As TB members we look for all input. Those who know the area best (although at the moment they can't agree on what the boundaries are & what's Mid-Atlantic ) & those who might visit, to see what would help them.

If the 'decision had already been made', a sticky wouldn't have been created in the NY forum asking for input & directing people to this thread to provide it.

I wasn't on TB a few years ago, so can't address Paris/France. But as a reminder, new TB members are elected each year, so what was done a few years ago probably doesn't apply to subsequent years.

Cheers.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by dhammer53

The truth is though, Niagara Falls shouldn't be included in the same forum. NY state? Yes. But the people taking about NYC, NJ, Long Island... aren't talking about the Falls. Catskills can fall under NYC Metropolitan Area or Greater NYC Area
Old Aug 21, 2011, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by joshwex90
Catskills can fall under NYC Metropolitan Area or Greater NYC Area
They can, but I don't think they should. Otherwise possibly the Poconos and the Delaware Water Gap area should, too (based on proximity, recreational features, etc.).

Limiting it to the 5 boroughs is counterproductive and we already go beyond that with coverage of Newark and EWR in the forum on a de facto basis. Covering the entirety of NY State might work but then you're still not including NJ or southern Connecticut, areas that absolutely are part of the NYC tri-state metro area.

At the end of the day I think everyone who lives in or who has even frequented the NYC area knows about what is included in the area and what is outside of it. Maybe some quibbles over whether the Hamptons and New Haven (both connected by commuter rail) are included or not, but that's relatively small potatoes compared to the strict interpretation that it is only the city proper.

Last edited by sbm12; Aug 21, 2011 at 7:17 am
Old Aug 21, 2011, 3:04 pm

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by joshwex90
Catskills can fall under NYC Metropolitan Area or Greater NYC Area
I would say that the Borscht Belt is part of the NYC Metropolitan Area but cities like Port Jervis, Middletown, and Monticello are not. Geography is not really what determines this -- mentality is.

The minute you get to a place where the majority of the population are white Protestants you are no longer in Greater New York.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.