FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TalkBoard Topics (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkboard-topics-382/)
-   -   Proposal: Creation of new status symbol (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkboard-topics/684261-proposal-creation-new-status-symbol.html)

LapLap Apr 19, 2007 9:45 am

Proposal: Creation of new status symbol

Having followed the recent debate about counting or discounting OMNI comments as post counts that can convey status on a user, it seems to me that the prime concern is that a high number of posts next to a handle may lead a new FT member/user to perceive a false sense of the reliability and 'worth' of that poster's information and opinions.

Almost everyone on Flyertalk has a different level of expertise in different areas (namely different forums), and whilst some go to great lengths in order to ensure the accuracy of their information, the sincerity of their opinions and, importantly, are willing to admit when they are wrong and correct themselves when necessary, others will just carry on blindly and continue to push dubious information.
Not all those who post misinformation have ulterior motives, often some of the most alarming howlers are posted with alacrity and without ill intent.

So my proposal is this:

That each board/forum has the ability to signal its own 'super users'. FTers who have a history and relationship with a particular forum who's posts can be 'singled out' in a modest way in that forum.

It could just be a tick or colour that appears by their handle - nothing sensational, just a quiet vote of confidence by other board users.

Whether this is done by the moderators, or put to the vote once a year by each board's members could be decided by each board. Where a forum has an active community but no moderator, an annual voting thread could be inspected by a friendly mod.

I'm not so sure I'd personally deserve one of these minor 'badges' but I do know people that do. And not having one should not be a matter of concern - it leaves one free to continue to post the humorous and ironic comments one might be appreciated for by FT Peers.

I'd like to think that this idea would be technologically possible, if so, it is something I'd very much like to see implemented - I believe it would solve most of the 'no OMNI post count' concerns that were raised.

(In larger forums a maximum number of 'badges' could be handed out... I'm sure it could get ridiculous otherwise!)

I'd appreciate comments and opinions on this.

kokonutz Apr 19, 2007 9:58 am

The problem is that anything subjective (qualify-able, opinion of post or poster) rather than objective (quantifiable, such as number of posts) is ripe for abuse.

When the poster and thread-rating feature was turned on, adolescent abuse was rampant with posters dinging other posters with low ratings or high ratings as both a game as well as a pathetic attempt to denigrate.

Status should be conferred on an objective, quantifiable basis or (better yet) not at all.

ewrfox Apr 19, 2007 9:59 am

This just leads to more problems, just do away with the whole status (as I proposed) and everyone will be happy, except for a few, where A status means something to them...

LapLap Apr 19, 2007 10:06 am

Originally Posted by kokonutz (Post 7607192)
The problem is that anything subjective (qualify-able, opinion of post or poster) rather than objective (quantifiable, such as number of posts) is ripe for abuse.

But to me this is objective - one would only need to point to a couple of posts where the information given was of dubious value to have the poster disqualified.

I am constantly awed by the time and care taken by some FTers to corroborate information, generate alternative timetables, find links, research telephone numbers, maps and addresses and ensure the accuracy of the information they give.

This surely deserves recognition of some sort - and it's not something one can just start doing willy nilly because of a desire for a badge.

Naturally - forums could opt out or opt in to this - there's no need for it to be mandatory.

LapLap Apr 19, 2007 10:18 am

Can I also add (because I'm not sure it was clear) that I wouldn't expect this symbol to be viewed in any other forum except for the one in which it was conferred.

I've seen many instances of newbies being given good solid information by a forum regular (perhaps with a relatively low post count) only to have this information contested by someone with seemingly 'higher' status. It's then up to others to step in and show their agreement and lend support to the accurate post.

SlowTrekker Apr 19, 2007 10:22 am

I'd be interested to know what the various forum moderators thought about being handed the ability to "Knight" a handful of particularly deserving forum regulars before we explore this idea further.

Based on previous reports, (before my time IIRC) I kind'a doubt that putting the decision in the hands of the masses would lead to a successful outcome.

Lehava Apr 19, 2007 11:03 am

The titles are as silly has the post counts in general. I think the smartest move would be turn the title function on for everyone and let everyone just call themself whatever they want, basically make it an extension of the signature. From what I have read about the software this is doable and then everyone can have a title if they wish or not! Otherwise I personally would be more than ok with both them and post counts just going away.

tazi Apr 19, 2007 11:19 am

Originally Posted by ewrfox (Post 7607203)
This just leads to more problems, just do away with the whole status (as I proposed) and everyone will be happy, except for a few, where A status means something to them...

Considering that the only responses so far to your proposal don't support it, saying everyone will be happy is a bit more than just a stretch.

LapLap Apr 19, 2007 11:19 am

As a last comment (I promise!) I'd like to point out that there already is a 'super-user' indication system in place - of a sort.

Seeing who the authors of the 'stickies' are that grace the top of most forums often gives an indication as to those FTer's 'worth' in that community. For a newbie - this is often an important piece of information - as it is for me when I go visit some of the more unfamiliar FT territories.

(Which are truly like other countries - they do things differently there:) )

kokonutz Apr 19, 2007 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by SlowTrekker (Post 7607353)
I'd be interested to know what the various forum moderators thought about being handed the ability to "Knight" a handful of particularly deserving forum regulars before we explore this idea further.

Based on previous reports, (before my time IIRC) I kind'a doubt that putting the decision in the hands of the masses would lead to a successful outcome.

Why would the subjective opinions of the moderators be any less susceptible to abuse than the subjective opinions of 'the masses?'

lucky9876coins Apr 19, 2007 3:00 pm

I agree with koknutz on this one completely. What I fail to see is what value this brings to the forum. Would these members have an obligation to post more? Lots of experts don't post very frequently, yet know almost everything about a certain program. Furthermore, is there something a member has to uphold to remain a "super user?" What's if they are frequent users and then essentially abandon FT and post once a month at most? Would they be "dethroned?" While some members can be knowledgable, that does not necessarily mean they are always right. In most forums, a member will post what they believe to be the fact, and you usually have a couple of people that come along to confirm that the answer is correct.

While I completely see where you are coming from, I don't really see what this would add to the forum as a whole.

Moderator2 Apr 19, 2007 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by kokonutz (Post 7608895)
Why would the subjective opinions of the moderators be any less susceptible to abuse than the subjective opinions of 'the masses?'

Agreed. But what would I know, I'm just a volunteer moderator. ;)

kokonutz Apr 19, 2007 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by Moderator2 (Post 7609006)
Agreed. But what would I know, I'm just a volunteer moderator. ;)

Just so. As Randy always says, Mods are posters first and foremost! :)

Speaking of, if I steer the pub crawl in the direction of the Mod Do are you going to come out after class and have a beer?

LapLap Apr 19, 2007 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by lucky9876coins (Post 7608968)
I agree with koknutz on this one completely. What I fail to see is what value this brings to the forum. Would these members have an obligation to post more? Lots of experts don't post very frequently, yet know almost everything about a certain program.....

Bingo!

Quality on FT always trumps quantity as far as someone requiring information is concerned. Some of our best and most informative posters have comparatively low post counts. There's little to suggest to a newcomer (to FT or their Forum) the esteem and respect with which their posts are held.

(and when I said 'last comment' - I didn't mean 'last response' :) )

SlowTrekker Apr 19, 2007 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by kokonutz (Post 7608895)

I'm sorry that I gave the impression that I "supported" this idea, I do not.

I was merely suggesting that we ask some Mod's if they'd be interested in this option first, with the idea that even if it were to pass, the proposal would be moot unless the Mod's were onboard with it.

I doubt the TalkBoard has the power to dictate Moderation policy, but I'm often wrong on these things.