FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TalkBoard Topics (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkboard-topics-382/)
-   -   Proposal: Sub-Divide the OMNI Forum (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkboard-topics/684137-proposal-sub-divide-omni-forum.html)

PTravel Oct 4, 2008 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by jan_az (Post 10463112)
I have been an actively participating member of flyertalk for 7.5 years. In all those years, I may have been to OMNI 5 or 6 times. If the election stuff is bothering people ( I would not know because I dont even have OMNI on "MY Flyertalk menu ); can't they just grin and bear it for another 5 weeks. OMNI will still be there after Nov 4 and they can go back then.

The election stuff doesn't bother anyone. It's a couple of blatantly-racist posters who, evidently, take their cues from neo-Nazi websites. It's unfortunate you don't visit OMNI more often because there have been some excellent, interesting, well-reasoned threads about all sorts of controversial topics.

PTravel Oct 4, 2008 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by BiziBB (Post 10456901)
Implementing the 'Ignore Thread' feature, if it is possible, might help without the need to subdivide the forum.

I like the ignore thread feature as well, as it's really only a couple of posters who are the problem.

If OMNI's structure or post-counting has the potential to divide, anger and ruin the community of FT, I will be very disappointed in those who choose to spoil it for us. :(
Well said, BiziBB.

That said, I hope that trolling is not tolerated if it becomes a huge problem. If that is the case, then I expect volunteers with the power can manage and/or deal with trouble makers.
There's trolling and there's trolling. Outrageous posts aimed at political candidates are part of the fun of OMNI. Outrageous posts that demean entire classes of what are considered "protected classes" with respect to discrimination under federal or state law (race, religion, gender, national origin, sexual orientation) are insulting to FTers.

MikeMpls Oct 5, 2008 8:59 am

Originally Posted by PTravel (Post 10470450)
The election stuff doesn't bother anyone. It's a couple of blatantly-racist posters who, evidently, take their cues from neo-Nazi websites. It's unfortunate you don't visit OMNI more often because there have been some excellent, interesting, well-reasoned threads about all sorts of controversial topics.

Can you identify specific neo-Nazi site where the material originates, or are you just bandying the term "neo-Nazi" because you really, really, really, don't like the postings so that must be where it came from?

I think you need to do a better job of filtering what you yourself choose to read. I'm not interested in having you do my filtering for me. Personally, I have no trouble closing the tab/window on a thread I can't stand and moving on to something else.

Plato90s Oct 5, 2008 6:31 pm

It might be a good idea to do sub-forums for major events which we know drowns out everything else, like US elections.

ILuvParis Oct 6, 2008 11:23 am

If sub-dividing the forum means that the racist threads will be allowed to continue without even the light moderation they get now, I would be against it.

If there are too many political threads on page one, click to page two and look for something that interests you.

Pizzaman Oct 7, 2008 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by LessO2 (Post 10465974)
With all due respect, look at the timing as to when FT assigned moderators to OMNI -- smack in the throes of an election cycle -- says something to me.

Assuming it was the election issues that created the need the need to bring in moderators, doesn't that say something about the need for branched forums? You could leave the "Master OMNI" forum policed back to only Randy, and we would probably need the moderators in the other forums.

Good point, but my comment was based on the fact that I think that sub-forum would be much emptier come December. Is it worth creating a sub-forum for a small portion of the time? I'm honestly not sure what the correct answer is. But, I lean towards not having a separate sub-forum unless it would be active all year round. I'm sure you could make a convincing argument the other way.

The sticky in OMNI about soliciting feedback is a good one, I think it should be appreciated that the moderators are sensitive to OMNI-goers.

The other side of that coin is to ask whether the need for that thread also comes from a sensitive nature of moderating OMNI in the first place. I don't know, and I don't mean to put words in mouths of others, but has that been in the back of the minds of some?
I can't speak directly for Cholula, but I don't think we started the thread because we thought there was a sensitive nature to moderating OMNI. We were answering a lot of the same questions via PM, and it seemed to make sense to publicize those. Also, OMNI adheres to a slightly different standard in relation to moderation right now, so we thought it might be helpful to have an open discussion, to help clarify that. Long answer to a short question. ;)

LessO2 Oct 12, 2008 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by Pizzaman (Post 10486463)
Good point, but my comment was based on the fact that I think that sub-forum would be much emptier come December. Is it worth creating a sub-forum for a small portion of the time? I'm honestly not sure what the correct answer is. But, I lean towards not having a separate sub-forum unless it would be active all year round. I'm sure you could make a convincing argument the other way.

Zero argument that the political discussion gets elevated and heightened around election cycles. But political discussions in OMNI have never been exclusive to election cycles.

Like I've said before in this thread, politicians, Democrat AND Republican, are never void of either doing or saying something stupid. It has no limitations as to when it happens....in other words, it doesn't just happen during election cycles.

Originally Posted by Pizzaman (Post 10486463)
I can't speak directly for Cholula, but I don't think we started the thread because we thought there was a sensitive nature to moderating OMNI. We were answering a lot of the same questions via PM, and it seemed to make sense to publicize those. Also, OMNI adheres to a slightly different standard in relation to moderation right now, so we thought it might be helpful to have an open discussion, to help clarify that. Long answer to a short question. ;)

I think it's great you guys are openly answering questions (from what I've seen, Cholula should have his own forum and therapy sessions for some of his shirts, but I digress).

ElmhurstNick Oct 17, 2008 4:25 pm

It appears that an executive decision has been made, as there is now a new OMNI Politics and Religion forum.

birdstrike Oct 17, 2008 4:29 pm

<deleted>

ILuvParis Oct 17, 2008 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick (Post 10537665)
It appears that an executive decision has been made, as there is now a new OMNI Politics and Religion forum.

With a welcome from RP from 2004! ^ :p

Spiff Oct 17, 2008 4:37 pm

What?? Another unilateral decision?!? :D :D

tcook052 Oct 17, 2008 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick (Post 10537665)

Did TB hold a vote I missed? :confused: Or was this a FT Host decision?

N830MH Oct 17, 2008 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by Spiff (Post 10537741)
What?? Another unilateral decision?!? :D :D

Yes! This is discussions for suggestion more new sub-forums by OMNI. Do you think Randy Petersen will ever to get reactivated the post count again. It will be no guaranteed for trying to get boost up the post count. I'm sure members will able more respectabilities to following the rules. I think this is not logical choice for members who will take own actions. I'm surely if they will eventually give it chance to have reactivated the post count again sometimes in the future or there will be forever.

I think members need to be understands where they are not try to boost up post count by OMNI. I think this is unacceptable for try boost up more own frequent flyers but, this is not appropriate for behaviors by FTs.

Randy Petersen Oct 17, 2008 5:38 pm

Strictly a host decision because there were other considerations. I've made some comments here:
http://flyertalk.com/forum/showpost....1&postcount=14

Originally Posted by tcook052 (Post 10537824)
Did TB hold a vote I missed? :confused: Or was this a FT Host decision?

tcook052 Oct 17, 2008 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by Randy Petersen (Post 10538016)
Strictly a host decision because there were other considerations. I've made some comments here:
http://flyertalk.com/forum/showpost....1&postcount=14

Just read them and it did help fill in the blanks. Thanks!

I can't say my first impression of a divorced OMNI thrills me but I appreciate the rational behind it so will go along and give it an honest try as my first impressions have been wrong, occasionally. ;)