Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Comments: Don't Count OMNI Posts In Member Post Counts (Motion Failed)

Comments: Don't Count OMNI Posts In Member Post Counts (Motion Failed)

Old Apr 11, 2007, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thezipper
my personal opinion as a member, not a moderator...

I think ALL OMNI posts (past ones as well) should be removed from a persons post count... then we'll see who's here for "points and miles"... we should be contributing to the FlyerTalk Community, not just a singular forum as many do.
And this motion is the best solution for this issue?
Old Apr 11, 2007, 1:51 pm
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by kokonutz

Who will speak for OMNI?

I believe that he has....... already spoken for OMNI.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 1:55 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by GoingAway
What's a lot to you? There are 20 posters with counts 10 or greater on this thread and some are way over 20. That population includes most of those posting with your referenced mis perception (IMO) ... Then there are another 30 posters between 4 and 20 posts -- so go ahead and throw in some of those too .... on a forum of hundreds and thousands, a total of 50 posters does not constitute a "lot", also IMO, as percentage wise its nary a drop in the bucket.

I must say however that this small population can generate a very impressive bit of noise.
Fewer than that participate regularly in the women's forum, but that forums makes up an important part of the FT community. Same with lots of forums.

Personally, I dont give a flip about post counts. Heck, I started my time on FT with a different username that probably has a few thousand (pre-omni days) orphan posts on it.

What I care about is the denigration and marginalization of OMNI, one of the most successful, interesting, helpful and, yes, important parts of the FT community.

As so many others have said, if this was about the post count being focused on points and miles then ALL of the non-points and miles forums would have been targeted. But clearly that's not what this is about. This is about whether OMNI is an important part of FT.

One either believes that it is or one believes that it is not.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 1:59 pm
In Memoriam

....Heck, I started my time on FT with a different username that probably has a few thousand (pre-omni days) orphan posts on it.
Very well put... Otto

Old Apr 11, 2007, 2:02 pm
PG
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
Personally, I dont give a flip about post counts. Heck, I started my time on FT with a different username that probably has a few thousand (pre-omni days) orphan posts on it.

What I care about is the denigration and marginalization of OMNI, one of the most successful, interesting, helpful and, yes, important parts of the FT community.

As so many others have said, if this was about the post count being focused on points and miles then ALL of the non-points and miles forums would have been targeted. But clearly that's not what this is about. This is about whether OMNI is an important part of FT.

One either believes that it is or one believes that it is not.
I agree completely (incidentally I too started with a different username that has a few thousand pre-omni posts).

IMO - the Talkboard should eliminate the post counts entirely, and not just for OMNI. Quantity of posts does not necessarily equal quality.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
I still believe that Omni contributes nothing to miles, points and perks or info on hotels, airlines, greyhound buses etc and contributes heavily to post padding (I have already stated that I believe that we should do away with post counts all together).

I still believe that posts in Omin should NOT count in post counts ( as long as we keep post counts.)\

For example: Newest Omni Waste Of Time - Count Down From 100,000
drbond 10,039
hhoope01 7,475
BiziBB 6,610
yashan 6,463
oldpenny16 4,793
im-headed-west 3,379
Amanda 2,537
the_traveler 2,067
dcmike 1,771
Brobbel 1,762
ContinentalFan 1,650
Cornroaster 1,552
tkey75 1,069
Gaucho100K 1,012

Or: Newest OMNI waste of time - count UP to 100,000

drbond 4,365
the_traveler 3,459
Gaucho100K 1,635
dcmike 1,301

Or even: Who Will Be The Next FlyerTalk Member To Post? An OMNI Game

Kiwi Flyer 13,042
jfe 11,593
myefre 9,552
philk10 6,128
richard 4,973
chrissxb 4,757
Canarsie 4,719
Jenbel 3,450
fumitani 2,462
edi-traveller 2,209
MikeMpls 2,099
500 miles at a time 2,088
cfischer 2,016
boilermaker 1,914
Lehava 1,800
empedocles 1,704
monitor 1,681
ContinentalFan 1,620
Cholula 1,254
Arcolaio99 1,091

I don't think I need to look any farther!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Last edited by mikey1003; Apr 11, 2007 at 2:29 pm
Old Apr 11, 2007, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by thezipper
my personal opinion as a member, not a moderator...

I think ALL OMNI posts (past ones as well) should be removed from a persons post count... then we'll see who's here for "points and miles"... we should be contributing to the FlyerTalk Community, not just a singular forum as many do.
And you define "Community" as points and miles only?

Sorry, I see it as completely opposite. The forums with the LEAST community feel, for me, are the points and miles forums.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RichMSN
The forums with the LEAST community feel, for me, are the points and miles forums.
And when they do feel like a community, it is because of the off-topic posts like the salmon-thirty-salmon migration thread in the AS forum.

Whatever happened to PUCCI GALORE and her hairbrush, or Merry in the BA forum??

Think about it folks. What makes FlyerTalk a Community is not just the dry recitation of FF program rules, it is the personal interaction between people who have come to know each other.

Why do so many FlyerTalkers fly hundreds of miles to meet other FlyerTalkers at DOs? Because they want to meet someone who quoted Rule 13 when asked? I don't think so.

I've read nearly every post in this thread and I'm still completely flummoxed about why this proposal was floated to begin with and why any FlyerTalker would want to support it. Completely flummoxed.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by mikey1003
I still believe that Omni contributes nothing to miles, points and perks or info on hotels, airlines, greyhound buses etc and contributes heavily to post padding (I have already stated that I believe that we should do away with post counts all together).

I still believe that posts in Omin should NOT count in post counts ( as long as we keep post counts.)\

For example: Newest Omni Waste Of Time - Count Down From 100,000
drbond 10,039
hhoope01 7,475
BiziBB 6,610
yashan 6,463
oldpenny16 4,793
im-headed-west 3,379
Amanda 2,537
the_traveler 2,067
dcmike 1,771
Brobbel 1,762
ContinentalFan 1,650
Cornroaster 1,552
tkey75 1,069
Gaucho100K 1,012

Or: Newest OMNI waste of time - count UP to 100,000

drbond 4,365
the_traveler 3,459
Gaucho100K 1,635
dcmike 1,301

Or even: Who Will Be The Next FlyerTalk Member To Post? An OMNI Game

Kiwi Flyer 13,042
jfe 11,593
myefre 9,552
philk10 6,128
richard 4,973
chrissxb 4,757
Canarsie 4,719
Jenbel 3,450
fumitani 2,462
edi-traveller 2,209
MikeMpls 2,099
500 miles at a time 2,088
cfischer 2,016
boilermaker 1,914
Lehava 1,800
empedocles 1,704
monitor 1,681
ContinentalFan 1,620
Cholula 1,254
Arcolaio99 1,091

Help me find a new eye creme ( 1 2 3)
baglady started Jan 16, 07 Today 6:10 am
by jan_az

DFW Monthly Gathering Thread.... ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page)
techgirl started Dec 24, 04 Yesterday 11:58 am
by techgirl

Idle laptop processer time--> For a Good cause ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page)
SteveinSTL started Aug 28, 04 Apr 6, 07 6:29 pm
by tlglenn

I am not defending post-padding. Heck, mocking it is a favorite pastime. But tell me how the above threads from, respectively, Women, Community and Technology are "contribut[ing]...to miles, points and perks or info on hotels, airlines, greyhound buses etc."????

If you want to ban post-padding you need to take that up with the moderators. Specifically the moderator of OMNI, and his initials are RP.

But since Randy decided "a post is a post" this proposal is an end-around.

I sincerely suggest that those who want post-padding dealt with deal directly with post-padding through requests to moderators. Heck, I just lost about 10 posts due to moderation on this very forum!

But dont denigrate all who live in OMNIville because you dont like post-padding. That's lame.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 3:04 pm

PS: 758 more "padded-posts"

Comments Welcome: Voting Underway - Don't Count OMNI Posts In Member Post Counts ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page)
Spiff started Apr 5, 07 Today 8:44 pm
by kokonutz 758
Old Apr 11, 2007, 3:32 pm

Programs: DL DM (and NRSA), UA NA, HH Dia, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by mikey1003

...SNIP...

I kind of feel like you do need to look further since I dont think anyone from OMNI feels that these posts are an adequate representation of OMNI. Counting games are not part of OMNI IMHO and really should be moderated out of existence instead of punishing OMNI for its very existence.

==========================================

Oh and here are the top 10 posters from the Delta Lounge thread.

Lehava 1,796
mikey1003 1,684
Cholula 1,579
indufan 1,444
Dovster 1,335
Traveller 1,319
Canarsie 1,154
Abby 957
tkey75 922
Gargoyle 703

If OMNI goes regarding post counting (as a whole) then threads like this should go too (regarding post counting).
Old Apr 11, 2007, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm still waiting for someone to tell us how the "problem" of inaccurate information will be solved by not counting OMNI posts. And again, if that is the case why don't we have tests that lead to certifications?

Or maybe y'all are just blowing wind and want to pick on people who post on OMNI.*

*For all I know 100% of my post count is on OMNI. I like OMNI -- it's fun. If y'all want to get in a contest with me about xONEx rules or AAdvantage rules, bring it on.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by majorwibi
I kind of feel like you do need to look further since I dont think anyone from OMNI feels that these posts are an adequate representation of OMNI. Counting games are not part of OMNI IMHO and really should be moderated out of existence instead of punishing OMNI for its very existence.

==========================================

Lehava 1,796
mikey1003 1,684
Cholula 1,579
indufan 1,444
Dovster 1,335
Traveller 1,319
Canarsie 1,154
Abby 957
tkey75 922
Gargoyle 703

If OMNI goes regarding post counting (as a whole) then threads like this should go too (regarding post counting).
Ouch! That should put the lie to this little game. ^
Old Apr 11, 2007, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Originally Posted by majorwibi

Lehava 1,796
mikey1003 1,684
Cholula 1,579
indufan 1,444
Dovster 1,335
Traveller 1,319
Canarsie 1,154
Abby 957
tkey75 922
Gargoyle 703

Sounds good to me. I'm embarrassed by my post count; I'd love to see it drop by 703 ... well, 702 after this post

The current proposal on the table is specific and not about cherry picking threads and forums. The Talkboard is, an needs to, vote only on that proposal. If it is defeated, I think it will be appropriate for TB to come up with a new proposal based on some of the discussions of moving Games to an uncounted subforum, and perhaps including a few other thread categories. (although nothing else falls in the same league with the games).

Since that isn't the issue at hand, and anyway the alternate options already been presented, it's best to drop them for now and just stay focused on the current proposal as it is worded.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 4:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Wow....took me a while to find this thread and what all of the buzz was about. Although I didn't read all 20 pages, I read enough posts to realize that people are REALLY bent about this proposal.

I don't really care much about post counts - without a reputation system (which I seem to recall was piloted once and dumped), the counts are irrelevant. I could just as easily drool and threadcrap my way through all of the "core" travel boards as I could through some of the less information-heavy community or OMNI boards. Or I could impart thousands of posts of delicious wisdom across all of the above - the point is, without a simple peer review system (like reputation points), it is meaningless.

I like OMNI. I post there, but have never really gotten involved in the games. (Frankly, I don't understand their appeal.) I don't care if someone pads their count in games - I'm going to judge them based on their meaningful material, whether that's a trip review, detailed advice on an FF program, or a well-thought-out political opinion in OMNI.

So, to me, this boils down to two things:

(1) Nothing is really broken. We don't get any benefits by crossing high post count thresholds. Nobody takes action on our advice because of post count. People judge us by our content quality, not quantity.

(2) Retroactively applying a rule to people just smacks of sleaziness. FT is better than that. We all bellyache like there's no tomorrow when one of our FF programs drops a change on us with zero notice. We're better than that, right?

I don't know what's technically feasible, but if we want to expand upon post count as a status metric, is it possible for mods (or simply the system) to recognize the most active posters on a given board? For example, if you have 20,000 posts on FT, that means nothing to me. But if you are the #3 most active poster on, say, the Hilton board, that might mean you have a lot of experience with the program. But again: I'm still going to make my opinion based on the content itself, not simply the post count.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.