Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Comments: Don't Count OMNI Posts In Member Post Counts (Motion Failed)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Comments: Don't Count OMNI Posts In Member Post Counts (Motion Failed)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2007, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: 2008 FT1 Fantasy Football Champion
Originally Posted by Dovster
Yes, they would -- although for the life of me I can't figure out how the negative post count comes about.
I understand why it is happening:

In strict hypothetical terms, and not counting any other posts other than the single non-specific-thread post in the example:

Say at one time someone had 3,001 posts, and 3,000 of those were in the OMNI game thread that was removed temporarily due to performance issues. When that thread was removed, this individual's post count dropped to 1. When the thread was brought back, those posts were not added back into that person's post count, and thus they still had 1 post.

Continuing the example, they have since made 3,000 more posts in that specific thread, bringing their post count back up to 3,001, and their total posts on the specific thread are now 6,000. This motion passes, and those posts (because it is an OMNI thread) are removed from this individual's post count. They now have -2,999 posts.

In other words,
1. If such an individual has not made more non-OMNI posts than they lost when the OMNI game thread causing the performance issues was removed, they will suffer a negative post count. (Hypothetically, anyway. I suspect the HoM won't actually drop it below zero. And assuming they didn't already have enough other posts to cover the double loss.)

2. For those members who lost posts (which were never added back onto their post counts) in this situation, retroactively removing OMNI posts is going to reduce their non-OMNI post count.

Last edited by empedocles; Apr 6, 2007 at 4:37 pm
Old Apr 6, 2007, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think that people on both sides of the issue have explained very clearly how they feel. I have certainly understood what they posted.
So it's unfair for me to ask the members of the TalkBoard what they hope to solve, what problem they'd like to correct, what issue is to be fixed, by passing this motion?
Old Apr 6, 2007, 5:51 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by tom911
I suspect most of us that have reached the 10,000 post plateau have done so without playing the OMNI games (I've never played one of them).
I agree with you. It's the recent highly publicized useless posting in Omni games to get there that bothers me.
Old Apr 6, 2007, 6:02 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by cblaisd
I do think there is some truth to this contention. When I think about the occasional IBB I go to for a technical question about cell phones, gps's, PDAs, etc., etc.) the folks with high post counts are ones I tend to assume have more knowledge, or at least more experience perhaps, with the subject at hand. I would think that the reverse holds true: the occasional visitor to FlyerTalk who is looking for some specific information would perhaps think that the very experienced, high-count posters would a priori be worth listening to.

Such visitors would not realize that in many cases those posts counts were hugely inflated by posts that had nothing to do with knowing anything about miles/points/travel.

Like posting 500 posts in a game thread in 22 hours, etc., etc.
When I came here, I had the same assumptions. I haven't done a lot of trading in CC; but when I have, I start judging the trade by the other person's post count, then look at where those posts are, etc. Frankly, I'm leery of people who have only enough posts to get into the forum and don't start a dialogue with them for pricey trades. It may not be a fair assumption, but I have to start somewhere since there is always the risk of giving a free ticket and not getting the promised trade back.
Old Apr 6, 2007, 6:02 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by chexfan
So it's unfair for me to ask the members of the TalkBoard what they hope to solve, what problem they'd like to correct, what issue is to be fixed, by passing this motion?

Unfair or not, you’re certainly entitled to my opinion.

This whole subject of counting OMNI posts has reared it’s ugly head at least twice since I’ve been a FT member. And it always seems to reach a head when a new poster racks up 10K posts in less than a year and then gets FT Evangelist under his/her handle.

It’s not a subject that keeps me awake at night but I do agree with Dovster that it’s an issue that has come up yet again and I feel it should get an up or down vote by the current TB. Thus I seconded Dovster’s motion.

The following post is similar to ones I’ve seen from time to time and, IMO, it’s indicative of how many new posters react to post counts and Evangelist monikers.

And based on this and similar posts I’ve observed over the years, I’m in favor of disallowing OMNI posts in the post count total:

Originally Posted by uncertaintraveler
I agree with CameraGuy. When I first joined FT, I (rightly or wrongly) assumed that people with high post counts were more knowledgeable on the subject being discussed than those who had low post counts. Calling a member an "Evangelist" only strengthened my assumption. After all, as a newbie, how are you supposed to know if what is being told is accurate--and how are you supposed to know who really knows what they claim to know?

Of course, in the beginning, I'd still listen to the low-poster, but if there was any conflict between what a low-poster and a high-poster said, I'd probably be more inclined to give more credence to what the high-poster said.

Now, however, some three or four years later, you realize that such an assumption was often incorrect. I've learned that you usually see the same members post in the same general forums, so you have a pretty good idea who is honest and knowledgeable, and who just posts to post. But learning who is who takes time, and I seriously doubt if it is possible for a newbie to be able to figure out who knows what. And, of course, if you don't frequent certain forums, no matter how long you've been a member, you are still essentially a newbie when you enter the "new" forum.

Personally, I'm not entirely sure why members even have post totals next to their name. I guess its nice to know how many posts they've made, but its not exactly entirely useful information. If one of the reasons for listing a post count is to separate the wheat from the chaff, so to speak, perhaps the post count could be supplemented with a ratings number (or star system) next to the member's name, where other members vote on the quality of said member's prior posts, so a newbie could easily determine who has been voted trustworthy by their peers and who hasn't. Just a thought...
Does this issue solve the problems of the world or a burning problem here on FT ??

Not in my opinion.

But, pro or con, it does get the subject off the table yet again and we can all get back to the business of maximizing miles and points.
Old Apr 6, 2007, 6:18 pm

Programs: Club interjet; Airbnb
Originally Posted by Spiff

1. Posts in the OMNI forum will not count toward any member's post tally and this shall be made retroactive to the beginning of Omni.
This would be, IMO, the single best change to happen to FT since I have been a member (FWIW, seeing that I have been on here 3 1/2 years and have yet to hit 1000 posts).

I do have over 100 posts in OMNI that would go away, but no worries here. I do hope I have made an actual contribution in some of my posts. I try to, anyway.

Whatever happens, there is nothing like FT. Many thanks to the mods and TB members for helping make it a such a (mostly) positive place.
Old Apr 6, 2007, 6:31 pm

This could only be an issue on a forum devoted to counting stupid things like miles and points.

Honestly, I consider my message count to be an embarrassment. It advertises to the world that I have no life. I already deleted myself from one other forum when I got to around 1500 posts and felt that I wasn't getting enough value for the time I spent there. Feel free to set me back to zero, just so long as I don't lose OMNI access.
Old Apr 6, 2007, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Cholula
back to the business of maximizing miles and points
Why is it that this phrase has to rear its ugly head every time this discussion comes up? I thought for a second I'd stumbled into ORP by mistake.

If FT is only about "the business of maximizing points and miles" and all the fun places weren't here, I see no reason to keep coming back more than once a month or so.

FT is about community, not just about points and miles.
Old Apr 6, 2007, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RichMSN
Why is it that this phrase has to rear its ugly head every time this discussion comes up? I thought for a second I'd stumbled into ORP by mistake.

If FT is only about "the business of maximizing points and miles" and all the fun places weren't here, I see no reason to keep coming back more than once a month or so.

FT is about community, not just about points and miles.
^
Old Apr 6, 2007, 7:33 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
When I joined FT, I made the natural assumption that a higher post count indicated more credibility with the subject of FlyerTalk.

I continue to think that occasional visitors who are looking for information will do the same thing.

Two other thoughts:

a) I don't know if it's technically possible to display a split post count, but it might be worth asking. (E.g. XXX OMNI Posts and YYY Miles&Points Posts)

b) Part of the whole issue would be addressed by instituting a good flow-control in OMNI. The poster that I have mentioned upstream, who has made about 2000 posts in OMNI in the past week, has posted many of those 1 per minute (and sometimes two in the same minute).

Originally Posted by hiyo
...Many thanks to the mods and TB members for helping make it a such a (mostly) positive place.
You're welcome
Old Apr 6, 2007, 8:22 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by cblaisd
a) I don't know if it's technically possible to display a split post count, but it might be worth asking. (E.g. XXX OMNI Posts and YYY Miles&Points Posts)
I believe this is possible. A cruise BB I visit once in awhile...which appears to run the same software..... does just this thing as per a post I made recently in another thread.

Or there is a third option which I kind of like.

One of the other travel IBB's I lurk on has two posts counts under a members handle:

On-topic posts: XXXX (fill in a number)
Off-topic posts: XXXX

On-topic posts in FT's case can be posts to any of the miles/points forums.

Off-topic posts can be anything to CommunityBuzz, OMNI, Coupon Connection, Newstand, etc, etc, etc.

The advantage of this is that it quickly allows you to see a members signal to noise ratio. And you can quickly see if a member is here to contribute to FT's primary mission of maximizing miles and points or just here for fun, games and the social aspect of FT. (Which is not necessarily always a bad thing IMO)

This is just another option to be considered.
Old Apr 6, 2007, 9:07 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I have said repeatedly, both on the private TB Forum and on the other TB Topics thread, that I consider the entire question of post counts to be monumentally unimportant.
.... but not so "monumentally unimportant" as not to have you advance this motion in the manner you have?
Old Apr 6, 2007, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is an excellent suggestion, IMO!^

I am all for OMNI and see nothing wrong with people posting there a lot, but I do have a problem with people that have less than 1,000 posts in non-OMNI posts, and over 15,000 in just post padding threads, which we are all too familiar with. While post count in itself means nothing, as others have mentioned it does give a (false) sense of knowledge, and I don't think someone who posts 16,000 five digit numbers should achieve that, but that's just my personal opinion.

Out of curiosity would the removal of these posts lead to the removal of the Evangalist titles for some? There are some people that have 17K+ posts, less than a thousand of which have any value at all, so I would be curious to see what happens in that regard.
Old Apr 6, 2007, 9:15 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The following post is similar to ones I’ve seen from time to time and, IMO, it’s indicative of how many new posters react to post counts and Evangelist monikers.
Could this be more about how "old posters" react to "new" members who have rapidly reached the 10k post count than it is about how new posters react to post counts and Evangelist monikers?
Old Apr 6, 2007, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by tom911

Is there a way to tell what percent of your posts are in OMNI? I'm guessing less than 10-15% of mine, so go ahead and take the posts away.

I saw a post this week that someone got 10,000 posts by playing an OMNI game. I'm fine with taking away posts from someone whose primary forum is playing games in OMNI, and not one that deals with points and miles. I don't think we should have FT Evangelists who get the majority of their posts playing games in OMNI (and short of not counting those posts, don't know how else you would deal with that).
I think there is more than one FT'er with 10,000+ posts derived solely from OMNI Games Tom.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.