FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TalkBoard Topics (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkboard-topics-382/)
-   -   Should LH and LX forums be merged? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkboard-topics/673682-should-lh-lx-forums-merged.html)

flysurfer Mar 22, 2007 5:04 am

Originally Posted by airoli (Post 7448237)
That being said, I have no problem with the culture and humor as displayed in the LH forum today. But it *is* different.

Indeed.
The LX forum has no IFE.

f4free Mar 23, 2007 1:31 am

I would definitely hope that the LX forum is not just moved to "Discontinued Programs". This would be the worst of all options, and "forcing us" directly into the M&M forum would definitely kill some or most of the STC forum spirit, along with the mentioned clash of cultures. (No moderator vs. established moderating style, sense of humer, range of topics ...).

The old LH forum has been home to LH, OS, LO and some LX-discussions. The LX forum has been mainly LX related.
I think the idea of subforums makes the most sense - however I would favor two subforums without a main forum, which is where I would go a different route from how the AF/KL forums were restructured.
Two subforums and one main forum make it a bit too complicated on where to post things, even if the theoretical division is possible. It also makes it harder to find relevant information. The old cultures can be preserved, but the new situation that M&M is shared as a program should be reflected in the forum structure. The nice thing about subforums is that searches and subscription e-mails automatically include the main forum and all subforums.

To summarize: Please do not merge them completely. Either create two equal subforums without a main forum, or move the STC forum just below the M&M forum as a subform, with the M&M forum being the main one. And rename the STC forum into "Swiss Board". I would avoid one main forum and two subforums, as all LH and non-LX related M&M discussion is at home in the current LH board, and I would not attempt to change that.

Pocoloco Mar 23, 2007 1:51 am

Although not a regular poster, I would welcome a merger. Isn't this the easiest solution after all for posters, readers etc.?

FLYGVA Mar 23, 2007 3:47 am

I have used both boards in the past regularly and LH and LX forums are the two I checked even if I am on the road and have to use my PDA.

As said by others the style of discussion is quite different in the LX than in the LH forum. It is more convenient and you find the topics you are looking for faster, as there are the most time only one discussion to this topic as three or four in the LH forum – and this even without a moderator. On the other hand you should also be aware of the fact, that LX has still in my eyes a better customer relationship and as far as I know they are monitoring the board.

The LH forum is in the need of a moderator and the job is done very good by Kiwi Flyer, but the of topic discussion becomes more and more disturbing, if you are looking for information or give information. Many post are not appropriate for a forum but for a discussion via a Messenger Program or for Omni. This is a general problem and not related to the LH forum but is more or less not existing in the LX forum.

On the other hand there are a lot of topics which are not covered in the LX Forum. And I personally think it would even make sense to make a own subforum for discussions concerning Austrian, LOT, Regional Members. The problem with LH is that the board is to big because the number of airlines using LH Miles and More is to big. So if you are looking for information about Austrian you have to look in the LH board which makes no sense and it is difficult to get and give information.

So a merger of both forum would be the worst I could expect, creating a sub forum would be the best thing in this situation. And if you open sub forum like suggest for Austrian / LOT / Regional Members I would be “a very happy customer”

JOUY31 Mar 23, 2007 8:29 am

I am an infrequent visitor to both boards and I do appreciate the special feel of the STC forum. I would prefer to keep things as they are or, as a backup choice, that the LX forum become a sub-forum of the LH forum.

Rudi Mar 23, 2007 11:38 am

egoistically I am happy like it is (still) right now.

but in general it is probably more helpfull for LH miles&more posters and lurkers if the fora of all miles&more partners are in one place.

a (typical swiss political ;) ) compromise would be, and would get my vote:

a miles&more head forum (discussing exclusively miles&more-program issues).

plus miles&more subfora for discussions concerning LH, Austrian, swiss, LOT, Regional Members (were all, or at least most, for discussions about these individual airlines, local/regional offers, etc).

flysurfer Mar 23, 2007 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by Rudi (Post 7456792)
a miles&more head forum (discussing exclusively miles&more-program issues).

plus miles&more subfora for discussions concerning LH, Austrian, swiss, LOT, Regional Members (were all, or at least most, for discussions about these individual airlines, local/regional offers, etc).

So instead of 1 or 2 we'd have to read at least 6 forums related to M&M? Amazing improvement! Poor Kiwi Flyer will spend an hour a day just moving misposted threads to the correct subforum.

In this spirit, I also vote for UA subforums covering each and every regional UX partner. And TED. And I want a subforum about RCCs. And one that tells me the current location of UA's LAX elite check-in. :D

Jenbel Mar 24, 2007 2:19 pm

Thank you for the comments :) To keep you updated, I've just motioned that the two forums be merged, but that there be a parent forum for discussion of M&M, LH, OS and other regional partners, and a sub-forum for discussion of matters related to travelling on Swiss. I've posted the gist but not the exact wording, since it can still be amended, but will do so if I get a seconder and it goes to a vote.

My reasoning is that there did seem to be agreement that a merger was a good thing. My feeling was that many LH members would be happy to have a complete integration, but there were a number of regular LX posters who were uncomfortable with that as an option, hence the halfway house. I didn't think there was much of a benefit to be served by creating more forums for the other airline partners where one seems to have served well in the past.

Rudi Mar 24, 2007 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by Jenbel (Post 7462739)
... but there were a number of regular LX posters who were uncomfortable with that as an option, hence the halfway house. I didn't think there was much of a benefit to be served by creating more forums for the other airline partners where one seems to have served well in the past.

I am very happy with your proposal (and I hope it gets support from other FT board members). :)

I learned that I have to exxagerate a bit, to receive a desired (compromise) minimum :p

weero Mar 24, 2007 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by airoli (Post 7448237)
Also, we lack the rapid and sequential posting of short insertions by the likes of flysurfer and weero. And so far, the LX board has never needed a moderator.

While you may not have intended to imply this - your wording suggests that our moderator regularly has to become active because of TFM and me :td: .

Back on topic: the LH forum is the "LH M&L" forum to me and all of my LX experiences - after the STC being devoured go to the LH forum alone.

flysurfer Mar 24, 2007 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by weero (Post 7464303)
your wording suggests that our moderator regularly has to become active because of TFM and me :td: .

That's exactly how I understood it. And since reading it, I have been busy plotting gruesome revenge.

weero Mar 25, 2007 2:20 am

Originally Posted by flysurfer (Post 7464327)
That's exactly how I understood it. And since reading it, I have been busy plotting gruesome revenge.

Such as rapid-firing post? I am in for it ;) .

Still hope though that it was just a somwhat clumsy wordingn rather than evil intent. Comparing the huge LH forum to the compact LX one is a joke in itself. Naturally, LH will have more threads on the same topic. One glimpse at the UA or AA fora will illustrate this impressively.

airoli Mar 25, 2007 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by weero (Post 7464303)
While you may not have intended to imply this - your wording suggests that our moderator regularly has to become active because of TFM and me

I am sorry if this is how it came across - I did not mean to imply anything of the sort. The two observations were not meant to be seen as cause and effect at all.

As for Jenbel's motion, I am very happy with it. ^

flysurfer Mar 25, 2007 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by airoli (Post 7467146)
I am sorry if this is how it came across - I did not mean to imply anything of the sort. The two observations were not meant to be seen as cause and effect at all.

Somebody sounds really, really scared. :D :p

Anyway, I guess the motion is something everybody can live with, so... congratulations Kiwi Flyer for moderating yet another (sub-)forum. ^ :D

weero Mar 25, 2007 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by airoli (Post 7467146)
I am sorry if this is how it came across..

No offense taken then.

Is any form of action really required? Wouldn't the LX forum simply die of natural causes the next few years?
Of course not if LX becomes LH's LCC where you can only miles/points/air-euros - or whatever the currency of travel will be in 5 years - on certain fares? Then LX would live a life independent of M&L and the current constellation would again be suitable.