Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travel video and photography forum?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2007, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gargoyle
By the way, I suspect discussion of graphics software will enter into this forum. Is that appropriate?
If its Travel Photography related, then it's appropriate. I would think that graphics software would be okay.
Old Apr 7, 2007, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Originally Posted by PTravel
OT, but I'm curious. How do you find them on these sites?
Very OT, I'll answer here instead of PM because it might be helpful to others. Google Image Search is a powerful tool.

Flickr might be better for searching travel images, but the right key words in a Google Image Search (and also the similar image search on Yahoo) can really zero in on things. Even when the file name is changed, the search isn't that difficult. Last time I looked, it only took about 10 or 15 minutes to find three sites pirating my work, and that is with a very slow connection. If I had true high speed it would have taken 4 or 5 minutes.

I just checked now with "carved marble fireplace", and one of the first dozen shown is a direct knock-off of a custom design a friend of mine spent six or eight months working on. Mikey mentioned large watermarks (by the way, I'd enjoy a discussion on how to do that blatantly without doing it ugly)- the knockoff has a huge watermark from the pirate site stamped on his design.
</OT>
Old Apr 8, 2007, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We could have a good discussion on how to present your photos on your website in a manner that makes it harder to just right-click and save.
Old Apr 8, 2007, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ScottC
We could have a good discussion on how to present your photos on your website in a manner that makes it harder to just right-click and save.
All the more reason that, after initial skepticism, I've swung in favor of adding this forum (sub-forum). That alone is an important discussion, although I don't know any way to overcome screen capture apps.

Travel photos are one category that is extremely ripe for image theft.
Old Apr 9, 2007, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mikey1003
I love the idea of this forum. But, I will never post an image until someone can come up with a solution
A valid concern. My take is that an 800x400 image is just a shadow of my work. Copying it is a compliment. Invisibly watermarking it protects the IP should it become valuable at that low resolution
Old Apr 10, 2007, 10:17 pm

Programs: After years of status, back to Peon levels. Anti-Apostheid Platinum, PWP CentCom
Originally Posted by ScottC
Well, right click blockers are trivial to defeat. I have a bookmarklet that explicitly does that for me.

Flash can be trickier, but you can always do a screencap.

Personally, I don't upload anything much beyond 800x600 unless there's a real good reason. You could still make a mediocre 4x6 print out of it (150 dpi), but that's it. Most of my images have copyright info embedded in the metadata, and I'm working on developing an efficient and good-looking way to apply a visible watermark to them.
Old Apr 12, 2007, 9:27 pm

Just wanted to chime in

I'm definitely in favor of a travel video/photo forum on FT. I think it will be a very useful addition, and could increase exposure of FT in other boards-increasing views and members (hint hint )
Old Apr 25, 2007, 3:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Pardon my ignorance, but is the Travel Photography forum at all related to our efforts in this thread?
Old Apr 25, 2007, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: 2008 FT1 Fantasy Football Champion
Yes, the motion was passed on or shortly before April 21 and the forum was created shortly thereafter.

Looks like no one ever mentioned the passage of the motion on this thread...
Old Apr 28, 2007, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wish to thank the TB for approving this forum. A quick visit to the forum will see how quickly it has become a success; generating lots of on-topic threads and discussions from the get-go.
Old Apr 29, 2007, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
Likewise, thank you TB for approving the subforum, FTers for their advice and for focusing the forum on a variety of needs.
The field can be intimidating due to the volume and variety of options, and I've not found any other place to discuss what I have asked hre in the new forum.
Old May 1, 2007, 12:34 pm

Glad to see this.

M8
Old May 1, 2007, 4:36 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
A very useful, successful forum. ^^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.